Re: Cross-Platform Expansion Packs Not Working Together

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Cross-Platform Expansion Packs Not Working Together

★★★ Newbie

I want to play Sims 3 again. The problem is, I have a new PC. All my Sims 3 content is spread over hard copies, two different Origin accounts and Steam. On my old computer, I somehow had it all working together.

I can't figure out how to do that now, and trying to enter all the different product codes into one Origin account ends up with it saying they're already redeemed. I also don't have a cd tray in my new computer so I can't even install 4 of the expansions.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make it all work together again?

Message 1 of 2 (309 Views)

Accepted Solution

@lytletwins  Any code that's already been registered in Origin or the Sims 3 Store will read as used, and you won't be able to add it again, whether to the same account or a different one.  And there's no way to add your disc or Origin content to Steam, at least not these days, so unless all your packs are listed in Steam, you'll need to use Origin. This is due to how the install path differs from one type to the other, and it wouldn't work to have both types of installs on your computer at the same time.

Your previous setup was likely a mix of disc and digital (via Origin) installs, with Origin managing the game itself.  You could have taken the CD keys that Steam provides and registered them in Origin, and then you'd have been able to download those packs through Origin.  The same may now be true of your discs, especially since the codes read as having already been used.

The only complicating factor now is that your content is registered to two different Origin accounts.  This may not have been an issue before—you might have used your CDs to install the affected packs, bypassing the need to have those packs attached to the account that was controlling your TS3 install.  But that won't work now.  Even if you had a disc drive, you might not be able to force Origin to accept the presence of packs not registered with your active account.

You can however contact EA customer support and ask that your accounts be merged.  The one potential issue is that you may lose any store content that you bought using the account that's going to disappear when it's merged with the other.  So make sure that you keep intact the account that owns your store content, and merge the other.

https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 2 (293 Views)

All Replies

@lytletwins  Any code that's already been registered in Origin or the Sims 3 Store will read as used, and you won't be able to add it again, whether to the same account or a different one.  And there's no way to add your disc or Origin content to Steam, at least not these days, so unless all your packs are listed in Steam, you'll need to use Origin. This is due to how the install path differs from one type to the other, and it wouldn't work to have both types of installs on your computer at the same time.

Your previous setup was likely a mix of disc and digital (via Origin) installs, with Origin managing the game itself.  You could have taken the CD keys that Steam provides and registered them in Origin, and then you'd have been able to download those packs through Origin.  The same may now be true of your discs, especially since the codes read as having already been used.

The only complicating factor now is that your content is registered to two different Origin accounts.  This may not have been an issue before—you might have used your CDs to install the affected packs, bypassing the need to have those packs attached to the account that was controlling your TS3 install.  But that won't work now.  Even if you had a disc drive, you might not be able to force Origin to accept the presence of packs not registered with your active account.

You can however contact EA customer support and ask that your accounts be merged.  The one potential issue is that you may lose any store content that you bought using the account that's going to disappear when it's merged with the other.  So make sure that you keep intact the account that owns your store content, and merge the other.

https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (294 Views)