Create launch directory

by qcrfsvqdgz

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Create launch directory

★★★ Newbie

I'm trying to launch my game but because I used Steam Mover to move my games from SSD to HDD, the launch directory no longer works. Steam Mover was supposed to get around it by creating a fake directory known as Symlinks. It worked the first time but the second time I tried launching it, it didn't work.

Origin is installed on my SSD but Sims 4 is on HDD. I contacted EA and got into a live chat with someone and they gave me certain steps to clear files and reinstall Origin which did nothing because it still asks me to install Sims 4 when it already is installed.

And yes I did go to Application Settings, Installation & Saves and changed the directory but it only works for future installs, not currently installed games. That is my issue - I wanted to move my currently installed game.

So, how can I create the directory to launch the game manually? I don't want to reinstall Sims, especially if all my data is lost (although apparently I have 'cloud saves' checked).

Message 1 of 4 (372 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Create launch directory

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@qcrfsvqdgz

Well if you uninstall the game it should only remove your game files, not your user files. But as you have moved it, and therefore might not be able to uninstall in via Origin, I would do a backup to be sure!

Like I said, you copy the folder to your desktop. Then you uninstall the game, and install it again via Origin.

Start the game, see if your saves are there. if yes, then good. If no, exit game and follow instructions below:

Go to C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\, the game will have created a new folder in the un-istallation removed it. Open your backup-folder. Copy the Options.ini-file, Saves-folder, Screenshot-folder and Tray-folder, and paste/replace the ones in the new The Sims 4-folder. If you have Mods or Custom Music, copy those folders too.

The rest is just cache and is not needed Standard smile

Steam Mover might claim so, but they're a third party program used at your own risk. Standard smile

View in thread

Message 4 of 4 (402 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)

@qcrfsvqdgz

I don't think there's anything you can do, if you moved the files with another program you need to reinstall it, Origin does not work like this.

Observe: The Sims 4 does not have cloud save! Not all games on Origin has this, just like games on other platforms.

Reinstalling the game does not delete your files, but if you want to make sure you can make a backup by copying your The Sims 4 folder from here: C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\

and putting an extra one somewhere else, like your desktop.

Message 2 of 4 (367 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Ok so I have to reinstall it, but how do I reinstall it but keep the original files so that I can still use my sims and everything else? Where would I put those files?

Also, Steam Mover claims that it also moves Origin games.

Message 3 of 4 (361 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@qcrfsvqdgz

Well if you uninstall the game it should only remove your game files, not your user files. But as you have moved it, and therefore might not be able to uninstall in via Origin, I would do a backup to be sure!

Like I said, you copy the folder to your desktop. Then you uninstall the game, and install it again via Origin.

Start the game, see if your saves are there. if yes, then good. If no, exit game and follow instructions below:

Go to C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\, the game will have created a new folder in the un-istallation removed it. Open your backup-folder. Copy the Options.ini-file, Saves-folder, Screenshot-folder and Tray-folder, and paste/replace the ones in the new The Sims 4-folder. If you have Mods or Custom Music, copy those folders too.

The rest is just cache and is not needed Standard smile

Steam Mover might claim so, but they're a third party program used at your own risk. Standard smile

Message 4 of 4 (403 Views)