Crashing issue with old files in TRAY folder

by omk358

Original Post

Crashing issue with old files in TRAY folder

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Through trial and error, much copying, must pasting, much restarting the game to see if it crashes it seems that somthing in my old tray folder (I've had to remove it from the sims 4 folder) is causing the game to crash on startup. Any ideas on what could be causing the problem. I've tried copying in the blueprint, bpi and trayitem files into the folder (haven't tried the other items) and it will crash while trying to start the game. Am I seriously going to have to copy and load each one to see what is causing the problem or resave everyting I had in there? 1591 files worth?

There are Household binary files and HHI files, Room and SGI files as well. Can someone enlighten me as to what those all are please? I think I know what Room files are and I'm assuming Household binary files are sims but I'm not sure.

Message 1 of 15 (3,183 Views)

Re: 12/16 update issues

[ Edited ]
Hero

I think every download has 5 files. So you need them all but I'm totally unsure what is what.

@omk358 Moved to the general forum for now and changed the title to something more descriptive.

You can use the 50/50 method but I guess you'll need to figure out which files belong together (by date maybe). Don't know of any other solution at this point.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 15 (3,141 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Thank you. I've just left the old files out for now, the game seems to be running more smoothly without all those files in the tray folder anyway and I'll just resave certain things individually and archive them that way so I know what files go together. Kind of weird though doesn't seem like that should have happened but maybe something was corrupted, I don't know. Although everything did work fine before the update just to be clear about it.

Message 3 of 15 (3,130 Views)

Hero

Yeah, seems that some of the changes broke some files.

Not sure what's going on.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 15 (3,127 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I don't know either, I can't be the only one who's had this issue.

I did read this while trying to figure out what was going on http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=21657.0

which seems to suggest that the tray folder might be causing some issues with stuttering and disappearing sims and slowing down performance with the game. It does seem it was causing my game to lag at times, the animations would sometimes stutter or jump. I've noticed a difference now that I've had to empty my tray folder after reinstalling.

I don't know if the developers will read this or not but I think a hierarchical file structure in the tray folder with individual lots and households each saved in their own folder would work better and solve a few problems instead of placing all of those files in one big folder. I'm not a programmer but that would seem to make more sense than 1500+ indisinguishable (what goes with what) files like I had.

Would look something like this:

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah137/omk358/IndividualBackup_zps2b946ae2.jpg

instead of this:

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah137/omk358/chaos_zpse560bf00.jpg

Message 5 of 15 (3,122 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I'm now having the issue where nothing is being saved to my library. On the Home tab it says I've saved a household and I can see the picture but when I go to my gallery the only things there are the default sims that come with the game. If I click on the picture under the home tab the family comes up and if I try to upload it to the gallery it doesn't show up under my catalog or my profile.

Checking in the tray folder, there are files there, but the game isn't reading them as being there.

Message 6 of 15 (3,111 Views)

Re: Crashing issue with old files in TRAY folder

★★★ Apprentice

Just read this in the patch notes:

Custom Content and Mods will no longer display by default in the Gallery. To see them, check the “Include Custom Content” flag in Advanced filters on the left.

• Custom Content and Mods uploaded will now be automatically flagged as Custom Content.
  • You can also mark them as such to help your fellow community members better navigate this content.

Good to know. Seems if you click on the advanced tab there are some new options which makes things visible again...

Yeah, I'm just going to leave this here.

Message 7 of 15 (3,097 Views)

Hero

Not sure if you need an answer from me on this.

I've seen one other user on twitter with the same issue but I don't know how wide spread it is (yet).

I don't have much time this week to look into stuff, RL is getting a bit in the way but as far as I know, it's been forwarded to the devs (the tray problem)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 15 (3,065 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

No, you're fine and thank you. I've had enough issues with this game crashing to have learned a thing or two even though I'm feeling a bit foolish because I didn't think to carefully read the patch notes and didn't think to check the new advanced tab options. But that's another issue. I did paste everything back in the tray folder just now and started it up. The game does go into a not responding state and freezes but it will eventually load and everything appears the way it should now but something with the update(s) is causing it to hang considerably and it was crashing when I tried to load it after updating yesterday.

Anyway, we'll see what happens now when the devs get to it I guess.

Thanks again.

Message 9 of 15 (3,056 Views)

Hero

I just came across another issue that older lots now don't have a lot type causing all kinds of issues.

Wondering if that has anything to do with it.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 15 (3,051 Views)