Re: Crashing as soon as 'create a household' is clicked

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Crashing as soon as 'create a household' is clicked

★ Expert

I have been trying to play my TS3 but the moment I click on "create a household" (to play) my computer crashes and reboots. I have The Sims 3,  World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, High-End Loft Stuff, Fast Lane Stuff, Outdoor Living Stuff, Town Life Stuff, Master Suite Stuff, Diesel Stuff, Movie Stuff. I do play with all expansions selected (because my comp should handle it).

I used to be able to play just fine on my old computer, with all EP's and SP's selected (and at high settings, and some ultra), and that computer GC was much lower spec than my new one. I have a new comp, and aside from my game completely crashing (to comp reboot) is that TS3 was not recognizing the graphics card (because it's newer). I should be able to play TS3 on ultra settings (my card is a GeForce RTX 2060). I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz (6 CPUs), ~2.8GHz, Memory: 16384MB RAM, Available OS Memory: 16318MB RAM. My drivers are all up to date as well. I have my TS3 on my secondary drive, rather than downloading it to my main SSD drive (the secondary is where I put less frequently used programs, and they all work fine from there- including blender). I also did the NVidia control panel- manage 3d settings- enable VSync on the TS3 program listed ("sims3launcher.exe") to limited the fps. These are the things I've done, and I still had hard crashes (to windows rebooting my system). I have also done the "run compatibility Windows XP Service Pack 2" thing. My TS3 version is the 1.69 version.

I have searched all over and can't find a solution (or the solutions are confusing- due to them being written for other people who have different cards, etc.). I have done a DxDiag and there were no problems found, unsure how to get my game to run. Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 8 (986 Views)

[ Edited ]

@InfiniteVerve  To enable vertical sync in-game, you need to create a profile for TS3.exe, not Sims3Launcher.exe: the latter only runs the launcher, which is separate from the rest of the game.  I can help you get your graphics card recognized, but that's best left until the crashing has been addressed.  The process does involve editing files that, if somehow corrupted, can prevent Sims 3 from running at all.

Please attach that dxdiag to a post, so I can take a look.  Just because the dxdiag didn't flag any problems doesn't mean everything is fine.  It only cares about a few issues, for example if it finds a non-WHQL driver or if the dxdiag itself crashes.

Please also undo any compatibility settings you're using for either Origin or Sims 3.  Both run fine in Windows 10.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 8 (954 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

@puzzlezaddictI added the TS3 to my profiles in Nvidia and it automatically kept selecting the Sims3Launcher as well as the TS3exe (couldn't figure out why it kept doing both when only the TS3exe was selected... anyway) to change the issues with that I went in and ran TS3exe from the bin file (rather than desktop path), and no more crashing (from create a household). Is the files that need editing the 'graphics card SGR', and the Graphics rules SGR? Which part of the dxdiag do you need (which line of information, I like to learn- which is why I am asking)? Is this what you mean (by non-WHQ"?": "WHQL Logo'd: n/a, WHQL Date Stamp: n/a". All the areas (I did ctrl/f to find WHQL in the dxdiag) that list WHQL all show as N/A.

For the graphics card...

In my device config log it is showing "Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
Name (database): GeForce RTX 2060 [Found: 1, Matched: 0]"

In the Graphics card SGR file I added my device number (with 0x in front of the number), just below the "vendor "NVIDIA" 0x10b4 0x12d2 0x10de" line.

In the GraphicsRules SGR I added " "*RTX 2?0M*"))" (but I don't know if that's correct- the written explanation was very confusing and left out a bunch of information).
The new SGR file now has "endif
if (match("${cardVendor}", "NVIDIA"))
if(match("${cardName}", "* 1?0M*") or match("${cardName}", "* 2?0M*") or match("${cardName}", "* G1?0M*") or match("${cardName}", "* G2?0M*"))
seti cardLevel $cardLevelMedium
seti isCardMatched true
elseif (match("${cardName}", "*8800*") or match("${cardName}", "*9500*") or match("${cardName}", "*9600 GSO*") or match("${cardName}", "*9600 GT*") or match("${cardName}", "*9800 *") or match("${cardName}", "*GTX 2??*") or match("${cardName}", "*2?00M*") or match("${cardName}", "*3?00M*") or match("${cardName}", "*Quadro*FX 5??0*") or match("${cardName}", "*GT 1?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTS 150*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTS 250*") or match("${cardName}", "*GT 2??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTS 2??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTX 2??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GeForce G2??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GT 3??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTS 3??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTX 3??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GeForce 3??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GT 4??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTS 4??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTX 4??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GT 5??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTS 5??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTX 5??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GT 6??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTX 6??*") or match("${cardName}", "*RTX 2?0M*"))
seti cardLevel $cardLevelUber
seti isCardMatched true"

Does that look correct? Or did I do something wrong? (this wouldn't be why my TS3 was crashing in create a household btw, I did this editing after having all the issues with hard crashes, and then I started troubleshooting- and remembered to do the graphics card thing during that troubleshooting).

I was playing vanilla, and have not yet added my mods. I wanted to make sure everything was good before moving those files over to my new computer.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it

Message 3 of 8 (917 Views)

[ Edited ]

@InfiniteVerve  Since your card is found but not matched, the edit in graphicscards.sgr is fine, it's the one in graphicsrules that's not working.  I can see why, too: since your card name doesn't have an M, the game won't match it to the 2?0M entry.  Instead of that, write RTX 2060 in its place (of course in the uber section, since your card should be rated as uber), with the asterisks and all other punctuation around it intact.

I don't know what the directions you saw say, but sometimes the people writing them don't fully explain why each character in the sample entries is there, so it's easy to get lost.  I'm guessing the sample was a mobile card, which is why it has the M, for example an Nvidia 950M or 960M would be identified as such.  But yours is just identified as a 2060, so that's what you use.

Have you confirmed that your in-game framerates are in fact locked to the refresh rate of your monitor?  (The cheat is fps on, as it is in Sims 4, and the fps will appear in the upper right corner of your screen.)  If so, and the crashing has stopped, then using TS3.exe instead of just Sims3Launcher.exe probably fixed it.  The Nvidia Control Panel may have kept selecting the launcher .exe because that's what Origin launches when you press Play, but that .exe is no longer running anything once you open the game itself.

I'd like to see the entire dxdiag, that is if you're still getting crashes.  I don't know what part(s) might be relevant without seeing the whole thing.  The WHQL stuff is just an example of something the dxdiag itself would be able to flag, not necessarily a sign of a problem; the real problems are just presented as information.  If I do see something you need to address, I'll show you where it came from, if you want, but there's important info pretty much everywhere in the dxdiag.

Message 4 of 8 (887 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

@puzzlezaddictthanks so much for clearing up the GraphicsRules entry. The instructions didn't explain the end, and I wasn't sure if I should just put RTX 2060 (and the asterisks and stuff). There hasn't been any crashing since I changed my load-up to be from the bin exe. My framerates are capped at 60fps (I've been watching them), so that is working.

I have my mods in now too (was testing that today) and all is working fine with them as well (Nraas). I am also thinking of editing the GraphicsRules srg to see about removing the bloom affect (saw that suggested).

*Edited because I forgot to add the DxDiag

Message 5 of 8 (859 Views)

@InfiniteVerve  The bloom effect edits should be okay, at least assuming the guide you're looking at describes them correctly.  But you can always undo the changes if you don't like them.  And if you run into real trouble, just put the original graphicsrules back, or at least a copy of what you had before the bloom effect edits.

By the way, you didn't mention it, but in deviceconfig.log, a few lines below the found and matched values for your graphics card, you should see the texture memory value.  If you still have a 32 MB override, that means the game isn't recognizing your card's VRAM and has set it to the minimum.  You can fix it by editing a few lines near the top of graphicsrules.  This:

if ($textureMemory == 0)
  seti textureMemory       32
  setb textureMemorySizeOK false

becomes this:

if ($textureMemory == 0)
  seti textureMemory       5967
  # setb textureMemorySizeOK false

So you're changing the 32 to the (dxdiag reported) dedicated memory of your card, and adding a # and a space in front of setb.  Sims 3 is programmed to only use 800 MB of VRAM anyway, and anything over 1 GB is extraneous, so you can set that value to whatever you want.

Since you're not seeing more crashes, it's entirely possible that enabling vertical sync was the solution.  Having an unrecognized card only makes a marginal difference, if that, not enough to cause crashes unless someone butchers graphicsrules to the point that the game can't use part of it at all, and you clearly didn't do that.  There's nothing else in your dxdiag that would directly explain or even describe the crashing, although a dxdiag will only list the last ten Windows errors, so if you've had more since then, the Sims 3 errors will be pushed off the list.

The Windows errors that are in your dxdiag list eight identical crashes:

Fault bucket 2083440491699377558, type 5
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: MSI.CentralServer.exe
P2: 1.0.0.46
P3: 5ef2cfce
P4: MSI.CentralServer
P5: 1.0.0.46
P6: 5ef2cfce
P7: c
P8: 3c
P9: System.NullReferenceException
P10: 

MSI.CentralServer.exe is a component of MSI Dragon Center, which is control software that MSI wants all its customers to use.  It's not necessary though, and it does take up a more than trivial amount of resources, so if you don't have a specific purpose for it, you may want to just uninstall Dragon Center entirely.

The errors also reference .NET Framework 4.x (that's the CLR20r3 at the top), so it's a good idea to run the system file checker.  While the error might be entirely due to Dragon Center and not a problem with .NET, it's worth being thorough.

Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • If sfc reports it found corrupt files and was unable to repair some of them, restart your computer
  • Then repeat the above, except with the command "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth" (no quotes)
  • Then run sfc again

I'm not saying you'll find anything, just that it's a few minutes of your time well spent.  And any time you have errors with no clear-cut cause and solution, DISM and sfc are a good place to start.

The one Sims 3 error is a memory leak, but Sims 3 has memory leaks; this doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your system.

If you do get more crashes, or want to find out more about the earlier ones, you can look at the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes.  The chart of errors and updates goes back 30 days, although it resets with a Windows feature update.  For any given error, you can click "View technical details" and get a bit more information.

The advantage of this approach is that the entries have timestamps, although the times reported on the initial chart can be off by a bit, and the chart doesn't always update right away.  The ones in the technical details are accurate though.  So even if Sims 3 isn't listed, you'll be able to see what happened at the time when the game crashed and go from there.  For example, if the component of Dragon Center listed above crashed every time the game did, you'd know to poke at it more, but if the crashes are happening at other times, you'd know they were unrelated.

Other notes:  Your BIOS is a bit old, and you could update it if you wanted.  It's not necessary to stay fully updated unless you want a new feature, or perhaps some fix or improvement.  But it's not critical to stay fully up to date for its own sake.

It looks like you also removed a large chunk of the dxdiag, one which contains information about sound drivers and various devices.  There's no indication in your dxdiag that any of that was relevant to the crashing, but if the Windows errors had referenced audio software or a component of an application used by a peripheral device, I'd have wanted to see that information to check driver versions and look for other reports of similar errors.  It's also useful in general to check whether someone has all the latest drivers, especially when it's not immediately clear why an application is crashing.

Message 6 of 8 (833 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

@puzzlezaddictThanks again for such a detailed explanation (It's nice to get those). I did edit my texture mem, and it is "Texture memory: 1024MB" I had done that in my 'list of things to do' (setup), remembered that (thankfully). I wrote it as:

"endif
setb textureMemorySizeOK true
if ($textureMemory == 0)
seti textureMemory 1024
# setb textureMemorySizeOK false
endif".

was that correct? I noticed yours was different.

Why would Dragon Center interfere with TS3? I wasn't running it. Is it something that needs disabling in my settings? And yes, I did remove a large portion of the DxDiag because there were no issues with the sound or other devices.
What do you mean that the bios is a bit old? I just got this comp brand new last month. Is there something in the computer which is not new? I am curious about that since it was a custom build by a tech (and was said to be the best). It was a new experience (custom build) and I thought it was best, given that I had specific performance requests.

I did the system file checker scan and it stated "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations", so that's good. And I checked the reliability monitor report and it is showing critical events (Problem Event Name:APPCRASH, Application Name: NahimicService.exe (which is supplemental audio driver with realtek), Application Version:2.4.2.64072- and it is also showing MSICentral server, and the windows stopped working reports, but not showing why). It is also showing the 4 windows shut down ("Description
The previous system shutdown at 2:58:11 AM on ‎2020-‎07-‎26 was unexpected."), and it is showing 3 MSI issues (with lengthy technical details- none of which make sense to me). The crashes had something to do with MSI, though I wasn't actively running the program (does it run on its own?). So you were correct in thinking it had something to do with the issues.

Side note- does changing the bloom affect make the skies in Sunset valley less 'foggy/hazy' looking? It looks like it should be a nice blue sky without haze (unless fog rolls in ha ha), but I always wondered about that.

Anyway, thanks again. It's nice to have someone explaining things more thoroughly for me (as I have a genuine interest, and I appreciate the time it takes to discuss/type out lengthier responses).

Message 7 of 8 (819 Views)

@InfiniteVerve  The texture memory edit you did should be fine.  Like I said, anything over 1 GB is extraneous; I just added your actual figure because why not.  But the game won't use the extra VRAM either way.

I don't know what the bloom effect will do to the game's skies, having never tried it myself.  If you're not getting quite the effect you want, you could look into lighting mods.  BrntWaffles is probably the most popular creator, so that's a good place to start, but there are plenty of others too.

The BIOS is the basic on/off system, and it's the software installed on your motherboard.  The version numbers don't make it super obvious, but my guess is that you have the BIOS version released in December, not the ones from May or June.  If you want to update, you can find the newer versions, and a link to instructions, here:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B360-GAMING-PLUS

Like I said before, it's not critical.  The May update does have a security fix though, so it may be worth installing if you're worried about the vulnerability of your system for other reasons.  As for why you don't have the most updated version, your board may have shipped with its current version, and the tech didn't update; or perhaps there's a specific reason to avoid the newest updates, although I wouldn't think MSI would go two months without addressing a problem like that.

Dragon Center is gaming optimization software, and it affects a lot of different components if you let it, everything from graphics tweaks to audio to RGB lighting.  It's probably running in the background, or at least components of it are.  If you're curious, open the Task Manager and look through the list of background tasks; you should recognize the MSI logo on any associated processes.  And of course you can End Task from there.  Everything will restart the next time you reboot though.

Since Nahimic is crashing, it would have been useful to see the sound devices info in your dxdiag, specifically the date on your Realtek audio driver.  But you can check that yourself and install a newer driver, if there is one.  You can find it on the download page for your motherboard.  Or you can uninstall Nahimic, if you don't want it around.

The "Windows was not shut down correctly" errors can be caused by any number of issues, for example I've seen them when GeForce Experience wanted to update but didn't get the chance, and also when someone shuts down by holding down the power button.  It's impossible to say without more information.  The same goes for the other errors: I'd need to see the info in the Reliablity Monitor's technical details, and maybe more than that, depending on the errors.  Often enough, Windows itself will have written a file with more info, but if not, there are ways to direct it to create one.  It's all moot without more info though.

If you'd like help with a specific error or errors, feel free to post the technical details here, either in a reply or (if there are several errors) in a .txt document attached to a post.  Or if you'd prefer to do some troubleshooting yourself, you can also learn a lot by googling specific error codes, maybe in conjunction with the name of an app or component that you suspect might be implicated.  Either way, if these errors are recent or persistent, they should absolutely be addressed.

By the way, none of this has anything to do with the overall suitability of your system.  I wouldn't call it "the best," considering that the absolute best possible would probably cost three or four times as much as you paid and not be any better for your purposes.  This is a very good system for Sims 3 and Sims 4, and other similar games, with everything you need and some extra headroom beyond that.

Message 8 of 8 (793 Views)