Crashes after switching laptops

by universaldeer12

Original Post

Crashes after switching laptops

★★ Novice

I recently got an ASUS gaming laptop after having an HP Windows 10 laptop for a long time. I set up the Sims 4 on here but everything I checked it keeps crashing - even with mods in so it is quite the headache, I have my DXdiag file here jic.

Message 1 of 6 (336 Views)

Re: Crashes after switching laptops

@universaldeer12  Please do a clean uninstall and reinstall of the Nvidia graphics driver, as described here:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/02/clean-re-install-of-graphics-drivers-with-display-driver-uninstall...

Use the newest Nvidia driver offered by Asus for your laptop, in this case dated December 7:

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/FA706IH/HelpDesk_Download/

Don't let it update automatically—the driver provided by a laptop's manufacturer is usually a better choice than the generic Nvidia one unless the former is getting too old to work properly.

While testing with the new driver, please use a clean folder.  Move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and the game will create a new one the next time it loads.  Don't add anything to it yet; just see whether you get any more crashes.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (305 Views)

★★ Novice

So I did that and it went fine for a while! But it then crashed again with this error.

Message 3 of 6 (292 Views)

@universaldeer12  SDXHelper.exe belongs to Microsoft Office, and it's used to update the software.  I'm not sure why that would crash Sims 4, but Windows can be difficult like that.  Try disabling automatic updates in Office, and if that doesn't help, go into the Task Manager and end any Office-related tasks before you play; they'll probably be among the background processes.  If you have Office set to start with Windows, or it's set itself that way, the processes will restart when you reboot your computer.

If that doesn't help, please try playing in a clean boot:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

When you reboot, go through the Task Manager's background processes list again and shut down anything that doesn't absolutely need to be running, including any Asus game optimization software.  If you kill a critical process and it doesn't restart on its own, just reboot your computer.

Message 4 of 6 (279 Views)

★★ Novice

I was able to get to the home screen after doing the clean boot! But it still crashed without explanation.

Message 5 of 6 (263 Views)

@universaldeer12  I'd like to see a crash dump from the game.  Click Windows key-R and copy and paste this:

%LocalAppData%\CrashDumps

When you enter, you'll see a list of .dmp files.  If one of them is from Sims 4 or Origin, please upload it to a third-party filehosting site (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) and link it here.

Message 6 of 6 (236 Views)