Re: Crash to desktop upon sims rendering

by RedFactionFR

Original Post

Crash to desktop upon sims rendering

★★★ Novice

It might not be the best place to ask my question since it concerns a mod I'm doing Standard smile but people has been pointing out to me that only the SimGurus might have the answer to this problem.

So I'm trying to add new bones to the sims rig, but as soon as you go above 180 bones the game crashes to desktop when a sims is rendered.

It happens when you open CAS, load a lot, or even display the sims living in a house in the neighborhood view.

As soon as the game tries to render a sims, it crashes to desktop.

Is there a reason why we can't go above 180 bones ?

I notice that the mother plant in Strangerville has also 179 bones, so I guess it's a cap developers are well aware of.

Does it have a link with the old culling process who deleted sims when we had more than 180 of them ?

This number, 180, shows up pretty often. Could you tell us what is the technical limit behind it ?

Message 1 of 16 (687 Views)

Hero

Hi @RedFactionFR 

Have you tried asking in the modding forum: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-modding-and-custom-content or at MTS or tagging a Guru on Twitter ?

My guess is that it's a performance problem but I don't know enough about modding to give you a definite answer.

There are QA Maxis people here at AHQ but I also don't know if they would be able to answer your question.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 16 (678 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi Standard smile

I guess it's a performance related limitation too. But in most cases the developpers gave us the possibility to bypass it, either through a mod or through an update like for the culling process people complained about.

I would ask the question on the sims forum if I could but I can't create a thread there because of the rule concerning the new members.

I could throw my question in an already existing thread but I don't think it would be relevant neither appropriate Frown

This is the reason why I'm asking the question here, hoping for some SimGurus to pass by Standard smile

I already asked the question on several forums including MTS and S4S.

I also tagged SimGuruTwoLegs on Scumbumbo's discord channel a month ago but I didn't receive his/her answer so far.

Any chance you can forward the question to the developpers ?

Message 3 of 16 (671 Views)

Hero
I can try to find someone that can answer you but no promises :D

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 16 (666 Views)

★★★ Novice

Honestly I didn't expect someone to answer this thread twice in a matter of a few hours so thank you for everything you will be able to do ! :D

Message 5 of 16 (661 Views)

Hero
Guess we'll have to wait and see now :D

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 16 (639 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi Crin !

Do you have any bit of an answer so far ? Standard smile

RED

Message 7 of 16 (605 Views)

Hero
@RedFactionFR They haven't gotten back to me but with all that's been going on with the patch, I doubt this has high priority for them right now.

Sorry about that.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 16 (600 Views)

★★★ Novice

No problem I'm glad you got the opportunity to ask them the question.

Message 9 of 16 (593 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi Standard smile

Any chance we can take opportunity of the summer period to re-ask the question ?

Message 10 of 16 (562 Views)