Crash to Desktop

by Darens-Stuff

Original Post

Crash to Desktop

★★★ Apprentice

(I've attatched the crash .txt and my DxDiag)

So... my game crashed to desktop in the middle of the game and it was only using 2.3 GB of RAM at that EXACT moment - nowhere near 4GB! I suppose it could be about something else that was going on in my computer but I suck at detecting those hence I've came here for you guys help...

Message 1 of 5 (470 Views)

Re: Crash to Desktop

@Darens-Stuff  The crash log reports that the game was using a lot more memory when it crashed, 3,508 MB according to its accounting:

Total virtual memory: 4095 Mb
Free virtual memory: 587 Mb

That doesn't necessarily need to be completely accurate, but I'm curious how you were measuring RAM use.  For example, the Task Manager is more of a rough estimate, while some other monitoring apps are much more precise.  It could also be that memory use was low overall but spiked for some unknown reason and caused the crash.

Unless this save is in fact using over 3 GB RAM just through normal gameplay, it's likely that the issue is something happening in-game, whether memory use spiked or there was another problem.  Point is, you'd be better off trying to figure out exactly what happened right before the crash.  It's even possible that this is an isolated incident, but if it happens again at around the same in-game time or when your sims try to do the same thing, please let me know as many details of what was going on as you can.

The errors in your dxdiag probably aren't serious: a bunch of Sims 3 crashes, a couple of Razer software crashes, and some Windows issues that are only worth investigating if you see other symptoms.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (444 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I monitor the game's RAM usage through the task manager, and it's always around 2.5 GB. I play in Boroughsburg with Story Progression. After I saved the game right after I loaded the last one, where the game crashed, the game didn't crash to desktop again yet. Maybe the save broke itself, I don't know... Apart from that, do you see any corruptions in my game or the system that I need to take care of? Thank you so much for the help.

Message 3 of 5 (429 Views)

@Darens-Stuff  I don't see anything that looks like a real issue, although some of the errors could accompany a serious issue.  But unless you're noticing other problems with your computer, I wouldn't worry.

For general Windows maintenance, running DISM and sfc can be helpful.  I'm not saying it's necessary; I run them every month or so just for peace of mind.  If you want to yourself:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Unless sfc reports it found corrupt files and was unable to repair some of them, you're fine

The Sims 3 errors are access violations, which is the game being its usual self, again nothing to worry about unless you see crashes at the same in-game time or in the same situations, or you get constant crashing and can't really play.  None of the errors indicate a hardware or software problem with your computer itself.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 5 (424 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Thank you, I did both and no errors occured

Message 5 of 5 (418 Views)