Constant lag after last update

by alternatealice

Original Post

Constant lag after last update

★★ Novice

I've been playing the sims on this computer for the past two years, and it's always run smooth as silk without a single issue. However, a couple of days after the last update my game just started lagging. It lags right from the moment it boots up, everything runs jumpy and slow. I've tried altering settings, I've tried updating and clearing my computer, I've even opened it up and cleaned it in case that was an issue. No dice. The sims still runs like a snail.

This is the only game that does this. I have plenty of other more intense games that run fine, and my sims2 that I also play through origin runs perfectly fine as well. I've tried uninstalling and reinstallng TWICE (which, when you have nearly all the expansions takes a lot of time) and I've tried deleting both my saves and mods. This also has not helped. 

I'm at a loss. I'm truly desperate here. I miss playing the sims dearly, and cannot think of any other computer issues it could be. It has to be one of the game. Please help, or I fear I will never learn the secrets of strangetown. This has been happening for over two weeks now. 

Message 1 of 10 (7,254 Views)

Re: Constant lag after last update

★★ Pro

@alternatealice 

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers and turning off Origin in-game?

How to Find devices and updating drivers on your PC
https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/finding-devices-and-updating-drivers/

Turn off Origin In-Game:
Open Origin, Select Origin > Application Settings > Origin In Game tab and click the on/off switch to disable Origin In Game. - This deactivates Origin In-Game, as it has been known to cause problems with games.

Restart the computer, to help the computer refresh itself, and try launching the game again.

Start the game in Windowed mode:
https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/playing-the-sims-4-in-windowed-mode/

I'm not entirely sure why playing in Windowed mode works, but there have been many with higher end cards reporting that playing the game in Windowed mode works. If Windowed mode works, try switching back to Fullscreen to see if it continues to work.

Something else that might help is to reset your Sims 4 folder. I do that from time to time as a troubleshooting step.

You can reset your user folder by renaming it or moving it to the desktop and playing the game so it makes a new Sims 4 folder. Here's a how-to:

Resetting Sims 4 -

1. Click Start > Documents > Electronic Arts and look for the Sims 4 folder.

2. Rename the Sims 4 folder to Sims 4_Backup. The game will create a new folder next time you launch the game.

-- Renaming it or moving it to the desktop will help you have a backup and keep your Sims 4 files safe.

3. Repair the Sims 4 game. In Origin > Game Library - right-click on Sims 4 and select Repair. - To make sure the install files and such are in working order.

4. Try launching the game, play a new save. If it's not working, don't save. However, if everything is playing okay then start putting the files back. (list of files and folders below).

- Options.ini (User game settings)
- Tray Folder (Sims/Houses/Commercial lots and rooms)
- Screenshots/Videos/Custom music
- Rest of the save games, if any.
(leave out slot_00000001.save which is the autosave. It is not used anymore.)
- Custom content like clothing, hair, skins, and makeup
- Mods (Put these back one by one to make sure they all still work)

-- Notes on Mods and Custom Content --

Custom content can become outdated with most new game patches. If the game works when the Mods folder is removed, then one or more of the mods and/or custom content has become outdated and will need to be removed or replaced. EA/Maxis aren't responsible for broken mods/cc. It's up to the creators to fix.

Try the 50/50 method:

1. Move all the mods and cc out into a temporary folder on the desktop.
2. Move a few files back at a time. Load the game to make sure it loads and everything is good.
3. Delete the localthumbcache.package from the Sims 4 folder to help remove any traces of the mods or cc that were installed.
4. Repeat steps 1 - 3 till there is no more files to check.

** While your testing, don't save the game. If you find any problems, delete the mod or custom content file.

How To Find Problem Mods and CC -
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS4_Finding_Problem_Custom_Content

---

More information - Resetting the game to factory settings without reinstalling

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/READ-FIRST-Troubleshooting-your-Game/m-p/3621199#Reset...

If you move or rename the Sims 4 folder, the game will no longer be able to find it. When you go to play the game it will create a new folder.

Message 2 of 10 (7,191 Views)

★ Guide

Hello @alternatealice , 

It is possible that the game runs slowly because you have a lot of content that needs to be loaded. Some games might seem more intense and all that, though Sims 4 with many expansions and packs can slow down your computer while all the content that you own is loaded. 

Have you tried installing only the base game with maybe only one-two expansions/stuff packs? If it runs perfectly without everything, then all the content was the cause. Do let me know what happens after this so we can see what we can do further :D 

Also, I'd recommend performing a Clean boot (guide here) and opening only Sims 4 (with all the expansions). Closing all the extra processes should help us see whether the game is still misbehaving or not :D.  You can try this first (since you already have the game fully installed), and then try the step above. 

I hope it's not too much info that we've provided :D. We'll be waiting for your reply ^_^! 

I wish you a lovely week ahead! Cat

Message 3 of 10 (7,161 Views)

★★ Novice

I've tried all of the suggestions above in both responses including clean booting, and have also had my more tech savvy brother try and fix the issue of which he was at a complete loss. My game continues to lag and be unplayable. Is there any other possible solutions??? I cannot put into words how much I miss playing sims. 

Message 4 of 10 (7,090 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

After looking through the forums I saw some other people providing a dxdiag so here's mine if it helps. (I'm sorry, I'm not really tech savvy)

Message 5 of 10 (7,088 Views)

Hero
There's been a few reports of the game lagging with active internet connection

Could turn of the connection (not just going offline in Origin) and see if that makes a difference ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 10 (7,085 Views)

★★ Novice

Unfortunately didn't work Frown

Message 7 of 10 (7,081 Views)

Hero

Check if there's newer drivers on for your AMD grapics card

Also, you have hardly any space left on your c drive. Which drive do you have your user files on ? You need to free up some space. 4 GB is just not enough for Windows.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 8 of 10 (7,074 Views)

★★ Novice

Cleared off over 30g on my harddrive and double checked that I had any new drivers - game still not running properly. I have no clue what the next step is, I've tried everything. 

Message 9 of 10 (7,021 Views)

Hero
You seem to have some errors in your DxDiag with a program called AEGIS II. Seems it's some program that comes with Asus hardware.

Could you try if it makes any difference if you uninstall that from your computer (unless you use that on a regular basis)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 10 (7,018 Views)