Constant crash to desktop after most recent patch

by MissPiggeh

Original Post

Constant crash to desktop after most recent patch

★ Apprentice

Patch number PC: 1.68.156.1020

I am having constant crashing to desktop whenever I try and play my game. I have everything but Journey to Batuu, and have removed all CC and mods from my game. I have repaired it, checked to see if it could update and checked to make sure my computer still meets the game criteria. It is most prevalent when in build mode or when placing a lot down from the gallery, both of which crash within a minute. Normal gameplay crashes within 10 -20 minutes. Sometimes the game freezes but will unfreeze as well, though that doesn't happen very often. I was fine before the hot fix came out.

Message 1 of 10 (877 Views)

Re: Constant crash to desktop after most recent patch

@MissPiggeh  Does this happen in a new save as well, or only in your existing save(s)?  If you haven't already, please start a new save for comparsion.

There's a current issue involving Winterfest and Father Winter, so if the only affected saves have recently (after the first of the two November patches) gone through Winterfest, this may be the problem:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/CURRENT-ISSUE-Game-Freeze-Extended-Loading-Times-Save-Game/m-p...

If new saves are affected too, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 10 (863 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict This happens in new saves as well, no matter what season I start in. I have tried two new saves, different sims and different lots and different seasons from my other save files. Here is the dxdiag.

Message 3 of 10 (861 Views)

@MissPiggeh  Please start by clearing Origin's cache:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

and repair the game in Origin: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Repair.  Even if you repaired before, it sometimes helps to do so after clearing Origin's cache first.

Some of the Sims 4 errors in your dxdiag mention a component of the 2013 VC++ runtimes.  Normally, I'd suggest you uninstall and reinstall them, but as it turns out, Sims 4 doesn't need them to run, or at least to load and run for the few minutes I tried just now.  So just uninstall them and see what happens.  (If you have another game that needs them, you can always reinstall them later.)  Hit Windows key-i, select Apps, scroll down to the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables, and uninstall both the x64 and x86 versions.

Let me know if you happen to get any interesting errors when you launch Sims 4.  I don't think you should get any, but then the existing Sims 4 errors shouldn't be referencing a .dll the game isn't using in the first place.

If you still can't play without crashes, please attach your config.log to a post.  It's in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4.

Please also check the Reliability Monitor for any relevant errors.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes.  You'll see a list of errors and updates, with a column for each day.  (Today is all the way on the right.)

For any errors that mention Origin or Sims 4 from after you run the repair, click "View technical details," then copy the information and paste it into a text document.  (Notepad is fine.)  You can attach the file to a post as you did with your dxdiag.  Sometimes the Reliability Monitor doesn't update right away, so if you don't see any related errors, be sure to check back an hour or two.  The timestamp on the initial chart can also be off by up to an hour, so that's not an entirely reliable metric, but the one within the technical details should be accurate.

Message 4 of 10 (846 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict Thanks so much for the suggestions but nothing worked. I still crash and the second time i tried the game wouldn't even load. Here are my config.log and the Reliability Monitor files.

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 5 of 10 (843 Views)

@MissPiggeh  Just because I'm curious, please double-check the list of apps where you found the VC++ runtimes and see whether the 2013 versions are listed.  If they're not installed, go ahead and reinstall them, in case it does really make a difference.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Be sure to install both the x86 and x64 versions, but you can skip the _arm version, which is for a different class of device.

Run a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, and uninstall .NET Framework 3.5.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "appwiz.cpl" without quotes.  In the File Explorer window that appears, click "Turn Windows features on or off," and you'll see this:

Windows features (+.NET).png

.NET 3.5 is highlighted in blue.  Click the filled-in box next to it, let it uninstall, and restart your computer.  Then repeat the above, except click the box again to install.

Restart once again before trying to play.

Message 6 of 10 (838 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict I double checked and it said they were not there but when I went to reinstall them the options were 'repair' or 'uninstall' so I have no idea what is happening there. I ran the diagnostic tests and the first one produced no errors. The second one spat out this message:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.

For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at

windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline

repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

I also turned off and on the Net framework, then tried my game. I still crash to desktop. I am currently testing by putting down lots as that is a guaranteed crash and playing the game in live mode seems like it is working for about 15-20 minutes.

Message 7 of 10 (791 Views)

@MissPiggeh  I'd be interested in seeing a crash dump from the game, since you can reliably reproduce one while you're playing.  Here's how to get one:

• Hit the Windows key, type "command prompt" in the box, right-click on Command Prompt in the search results, and select Run as Administrator
  • In the window, paste "reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\devenv.exe" /v DumpType /d 2 /t REG_DWORD" without the outside quotes into the box, and enter
  • Launch Sims 4 and play until it crashes
  • After it crashes, wait for any crash dialogs to finish
  • Then hit Windows key-R and paste "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" without quotes into the box, and enter
  • Upload the last .dmp file a third-party filehosting site, and link it here
  • When you want to undo the auto crash log dumps, open Command Prompt as before, paste "reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /f" without the outside quotes, and enter

Message 8 of 10 (776 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict Thank you so much for the continued help. Here is the crash dump.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1guTgLLmiO1G4wmDt5sBCEk_QeOU3oZh_/view?usp=sharing

Message 9 of 10 (731 Views)

★ Apprentice

I think it has something to do with Kiyomatsu Point. I have restarted multiple saves and found whenever I touched that lot by building on it from scratch or by putting down a gallery lot on it the game became unstable and unplayable. If I do not touch that lot then I can actually play.

Message 10 of 10 (614 Views)