Re: Computer specs

by dlarlQma

Original Post

@dlarlQma  Any dedicated graphics card, as in, one that's a separate piece of hardware and not integrated into the processor, has its own memory that it uses to process data.  So instead of borrowing from main memory (i.e. your 8 or 16 GB RAM), it first uses its own built-in video RAM.  The advantages of this are that VRAM is much faster than regular RAM, and that the system memory is freed up to handle tasks from the processor instead of also having to process data from the graphics card.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 11 of 19 (862 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

thank you :D

Message 12 of 19 (843 Views)

Message 13 of 19 (754 Views)

@dlarlQma  The first one is better overall.  The key is that its processor is two years newer and much stronger, meaning that you'll be able to keep this computer for longer, maybe upgrading one or two parts if necessary rather than having to buy an entirely new system.  (It's harder to upgrade a processor because that often requires a new motherboard as well, probably a new CPU cooler and possibly even faster RAM, at which point you might as well just get a new computer.)

The advantages of the second computer are that it has more RAM and a slightly stronger graphics card.  But you can easily add another 8 GB memory yourself, or have a computer shop do it for you; the 8 GB RAM stick should cost around $40.  Although an Nvidia 1660 is a bit slower than a 1660 ti, it's still more than strong enough to run Sims 4 on ultra settings.  And again, if the card can't handle a new game you want to play in two or three years, you can just get a new card without replacing anything else about the computer.

Message 14 of 19 (2,038 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Would the first one work for The Sims 3 as well and on what is the highest recommended setting for the computer? I'm more concerned with The Sims 3 because it has more lag.

Message 15 of 19 (720 Views)

@dlarlQma  Yes, either computer you linked would run Sims 3 on ultra graphics settings without any problems.  Two settings—water and high-detail lots—should be turned down a bit because they're demanding on the game engine, not the computer itself, and maxing them out can take resources away from the rest of the game.  I keep water on "mirrors only" and high-detail lots on 2.

The other thing you'll need to do is manually limit the frame rates for Sims 3.  The built-in fps limiter doesn't work, so you'll have to use an outside tool.  I'm happy to help with that if you'd like, but there's no point in going over the details until you have the computer in front of you.  There are a few different ways to limit fps, and you might have to experiment a bit.  It's always possible to do though.

Message 16 of 19 (710 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

thank you. i was planning on getting this computer during black friday/cyber monday.

Message 17 of 19 (705 Views)

★ Novice

what about minecraft?

Message 18 of 19 (542 Views)

@bonscott8888  I'm sorry, but if you're wondering about Minecraft, you should ask on a Minecraft site.  If you're looking for a computer to play Sims games, we can help with that here.

Message 19 of 19 (511 Views)