Re: Computer specs for Sims 3

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Computer specs for Sims 3

★★★ Apprentice

I don't know much about computers and specs and I was wondering if this computer was okay for Sims 3. I do have all the Sims 3 expansion and stuff packs that i will like to play all at once with medium/high setting.

CyberPowerPC - Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 3 2300X - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 - 512GB So...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-3-2300x-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforc...

Message 1 of 8 (793 Views)

@dlarlQma  Yes, that computer would handle Sims 3 just fine.  In fact, it would run all packs together on ultra graphics settings.  The one thing to be careful of is the graphics card—it's strong enough to generate excessively high frame rates while you're playing.  But that would be true of any card strong enough for high or ultra settings.  Since Sims 3's fps limiter doesn't work, you'll need to use an outside tool, e.g. Nvidia's built-in Control Panel.  It's easy enough to set up, and once you've capped fps, the card will run TS3 without trouble.

CyberpowerPC also makes good gaming computers.  Even their prebuilt models tend to have decent hardware, and almost all of them are made to be upgradable.

Speaking of Cyberpower though, this computer might be a better option:

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/READY-TO-SHIP-GAMER-MASTER-ET9919

For $110 less, it has a stronger processor and a slightly faster graphics card.  Sims 3 doesn't need the extra power, but you might want it down the line for other games, or maybe other apps like Photoshop.  This model's one downside is that it only has 8 GB memory, but you could add a matching RAM stick for probably around $40.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 8 (773 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

So it will run with little to no lag? I also have about 20+ (including all the walking dead series) other games do you think the two computer options would be able to handle it?

And any ram stick recommendation?

Message 3 of 8 (761 Views)

[ Edited ]

@dlarlQma  I'd need to know the names of the other games in order to tell you how they'd run.  Sims 3 might lag in certain worlds (definitely Isla Paradiso) because of the way the game is programmed and those worlds are built, but the hardware in either computer will not be the problem.  (Many worlds can also be fixed, or have been already, so they don't lag, but that's a whole other conversation.)  Again though, either way, you'd need to manually limit your in-game frame rates, or you might see performance issues related to an overworked graphics card.

If you're planning to install 20 other games, you'll probably need a larger hard drive sooner or later.  But those are cheap too, and almost as easy to install as memory.  And in terms of performance, it's much better to get a solid state drive and than install a large mechanical drive later.  Windows and many games will be much faster on the SSD, and a 1 or 2 TB HDD wouldn't be that expensive.

For the extra RAM, the best way to go is to get the computer, find the serial number on the installed module, and order a matching copy on Amazon or wherever it's cheapest.  Because the speed and timings have to match precisely, that's the easiest way to get exactly what you need.

Message 4 of 8 (753 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

So here are the games that I currently own

Origin:

Sims 3 (and all the expansion and stuff packs)

Sims 4 (and all the expansion, stuff, game packs)

Alice: Madness Returns

Dead in Bermuda

Plants vs Zombies

Steam World Dig

Unwritten Tales 2

The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles

Steam:

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit

Back to the Future (Ep. 1 - 5)

Game of Thrones

Life is Strange

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

The Walking Dead (Season 1, Season 2, Michonne, A New Frontier)

The Wolf Among Us

Epic Games:

Batman Arkham Knight

LEGO Batman TheVideogame

LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

Batman Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition

For Honor

Batman Arkham City - Game of the Year Edition

Conarium

The Walking Dead The Final Season

ABZU

Alan Wake

Celeste

City of Brass

Enter the Gungeon

GNOG

Hyper Light Drifter

Inside

Last Day of June

Limbo

Moonlighter

Mutant Year Zero Road to Eden

Overcooked

Rebel Galaxy

RIME

Stories Untold

The End is Nigh

The Witness

Thimbleweed Park

This War of Mine

Transistor

World of Goo

*Didn't realize I had so many Epic Games, but everything was free except for The Walking Dead

Message 5 of 8 (725 Views)

@dlarlQma  That is... a long list of games.  All of them would run on the computer I linked, or even the one you linked.  If you want ultra graphics settings though, five of them—Captain Spirit, For Honor. GNOG, Last Day of June, and Mutant Year Zero—would be close calls, even with the slightly stronger AMD RX 580.  High settings should be fine for any of them.  (A 580 should always be able to run Sims 4 on ultra, even accounting for future expansion packs, but an Nvidia 1650 might not quite be strong enough.  Again though, high settings would always be fine.)

But if you'd like a graphics card that's even a bit stronger, either to give yourself some breathing room or to allow for other demanding games in the near future, I can try to find something a bit better.  Just let me know your budget, and I'll have a look around.

You're definitely going to need more than 512 GB of storage as well.  But, like I said before, it's extremely easy to install a second drive when you need it, and usually cheaper than limiting yourself to the prebuilt models that come with a large amount of storage included.

Message 6 of 8 (711 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

is it possible to know the best graphic card (no budget) and best budget friendly graphic card.

Message 7 of 8 (646 Views)

@dlarlQma  Are you talking about what you would do if you built a computer yourself, or what you might buy in a prebuilt model?  I'm guessing you don't really want one of the high-end cards, like the $1,200 2080 ti.  If you're just considering how your games would run, an Nvidia 2060 or 2060 Super would be more than enough.  An AMD RX 580 would be a budget option that would still run your games reasonably well.  Sims 3 only needs an Nvidia 1050 in a desktop.

If you're asking a more specific question though, please clarify.

Message 8 of 8 (635 Views)