Re: Computer freezing completely while playing

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

@HowEmbarraSim  The BlueScreen error at least really does need to be addressed, regardless of whether you can play properly for a while.  Since it referenced the page file, it's possible that the game crashes after a couple hours because that's how long it takes for the page file to be used.  You have enough memory that the game shouldn't need to page at all, but I don't know what else you're doing while you play.

To that end, it's a good idea to run MemTest86.  It's more thorough than the built-in Windows memory test, although you will need a USB stick you don't mind erasing.  You can get it here (the free version is fine):

https://www.memtest86.com/index.html

And this is a good guide to using it:

https://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/memtest86_memory_guide/

There are also a number of Windows-related errors in your dxdiag.  So to be thorough, it's a good idea to run a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files.  Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here
——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 11 of 26 (634 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I ran the memtest and got some errors indication a problem with the RAM sticks (2 Errors on #7). I took all but one out and then tested adding another one each time and the errors went away.

I also ran both scans. Initially I got a message saying some issues had been found on corrected.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Now I'm not getting any error message. Unfortunately now my game/computer is freezing after about 30 mins. I'm attaching the most recent dxdiag file.

Message 12 of 26 (585 Views)

@HowEmbarraSim  What exact errors did you get, and was this with all your memory installed?  What exact type of memory do you have?  Please list the product number you see on the side of the module, or all the product numbers if they're different.

Please also let me know whether you've ever overclocked any component in this system, even an XMP, and if you have, undo the setting(s).  It's a useful test, at least.

It's also a good idea to run chkdsk, since errors with the page file can be due to a hard drive issue rather than RAM, even though RAM is usually the first suspect.

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste "chkdsk /f /r c:" without quotes, and enter
  • You'll be asked to allow a restart; say yes
  • When the scan is done, hit Windows key-X again, and choose Command prompt (admin) or Powershell (admin) again
  • Copy and paste this command without the outside quotes: "get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt"
  • A .txt file with the chkdsk results will appear on your desktop.  Please attach it to a post.

Message 13 of 26 (556 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I did the scan and tried to find the txt document but got this error:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername -match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt
out-file : Could not find a part of the path 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt'.
At line:1 char:132
+ ... init"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : OpenError: (Standard smile [Out-File], DirectoryNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : FileOpenFailure,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.OutFileCommand

I did try to find the file myself but the only one there was from 12/2019

Also here is a link to the errors I got through memtest: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x1Jf6EUaeOMuJ3DjPPF9NZbepUgBU5Ax/view?usp=sharing

Here's a link to a photo of my RAM cards: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yIC_sFWJL6E1TNEBAdylWsbPVZT_xZ-l/view?usp=sharing

I have two of each in the PC.

I got the memtest error screen with all four memory sticks installed. I ran it again with just one stick, then two, then three, then all four and did not get any further errors any of those times. I've never overclocked anything.

Thank you, again. I really appreciate your help.

Message 14 of 26 (514 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I'm still having issues. I'm uploading my most recent dxdiag in the hope it says something helpful. Thank you!

Message 15 of 26 (481 Views)

@HowEmbarraSim  I'm so sorry I missed your earlier reply.  I'm not totally sure how that happened, but I didn't mean to leave you hanging like that.

MemTest86 a problem with your memory, and a memory issue could easily explain the freezing.  Please test each module separately, in different slots, and let me know how it goes.  It would be most thorough to test each module in two different slots, and each slot twice.

The errors in your new dxdiag could also be due to bad memory, although that's not the only cause.  Since you've confirmed a problem with RAM though, that's the place to start.

Message 16 of 26 (467 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

No worries! I appreciate your help.

I spent yesterday running Memtest86. I ran all four ram sticks twice, in a different slot each time. All slots and all sticks were tested and I got no errors. Today I ran Memtest86 with two sticks of ram and got no errors. Unfortunately my game still crashed after about an hour and a half. I've attatched the dxdiag from this afternoon.

Message 17 of 26 (439 Views)

@HowEmbarraSim  When I saw the MemTest error, I went right to that, because it's an obvious error.  However, now that I'm looking at things more closely, I notice that you're supposed to have 32 GB total (4x8 GB, right?), yet your last two dxdiags 16 GB installed rather than the 32 that showed up in your older ones.  Have you run the dxdiags with half the RAM removed?  If not, it would be quite strange for your system to suddenly start not recognizing half the memory.

If you played this most recent time with all 32 GB installed, please remove two of the modules, leaving two that match, and try playing with just that 16 GB installed.  It's still more than enough to support Sims 4 and some multitasking, so performance should be fine.  If you get a crash, pull those two modules and try the other two.  Since the only MemTest error occurred with all 32 GB installed, it's worth trying, that is, if you didn't try it already with this most recent crash.  By the way, did the game itself crash alone, or did your computer freeze too?  A Sims 4 crash after 90 minutes of play might be a system error, or it might be Sims 4 being its usual difficult self.

Message 18 of 26 (422 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I have 32GB total but was trying to run the game with just two at a time to see if it made a difference. I'll try switching to the other two sticks.

It was a full computer freeze - I had to restart my PC. I also having the same freeze when I try to play Planet Zoo - which I know is more graphics intensive. I'm not sure if that gives any insight.

Thanks again - I'll report back after switching the memory sticks.

Message 19 of 26 (412 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I've tried to run the game with just two sticks at a time - all the sticks have been tried two at a time and the slots switched after each reboot. My PC is still freezing during game play, requiring a reboot. I've attached the most recent dxdiag.

Message 20 of 26 (392 Views)