Re: Computer Too Hot When Playing, What to Buy?

by lisastar08

Original Post

Computer Too Hot When Playing, What to Buy?

★ Apprentice

A long time ago it was determined my computer was running too hot when playing The Sims 4 as the case my computer comes in has poor ventilation. It was recommended I get a cooler and a new case. I instead stopped playing the game as money was tight, but now I really miss playing and what to do something about it. I just don't know where to get a new case that would work for my computer? This is what I have:

Model: Dell XPS 8700
Graphics Card: AMD R9 270
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz
Memory: 24576 MB RAM
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Any help would be appreciated Standard smile

Message 1 of 6 (276 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@lisastar08
Take your laptop to service and ask them to clean it up. It's a cheap. Always use a cooler. If the problem repeats - do not play game longer than an hour and take a 10 min break to cool the processor and card. I had the same problem with Dell laptop and unfortunately I had to take these breaks also.
If you have not laptop but desktop computer it's easier. You just need to invest not too much money for an additional fan. You don't need new case but new fan.Well, you still have to clean this computer - a stationary computer can be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner and you do not need service 
I don't work for EA

Message 2 of 6 (259 Views)

From your story and Google I think your computer is a desktop. 
I'd suggest contacting a computer shop that sells parts, they can advice you what case would fit. 

Cleaning the fans and computer out might also do wonders and of course making sure your computer has room to "breath".

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 3 of 6 (249 Views)

★ Apprentice

Yes it is a desktop. Cleaning was my first way to troubleshoot it, but unfortunately it showed no improvement. I'm debating now between going the case route, but have no idea what to look for or even where to go. I don't really trust local computer shops with my computer (paranoid) and only other place I know of is Geek Squad, but they don't sell cases and all that at Best Buy. So debating on going the laptop route as am in need of a new one, and maybe will get that so that the games work. 

Message 4 of 6 (233 Views)

Do you know anyone that is tech savvy? You could see if you could add more fans to your computer. 
Or maybe you could look online to see if your motherboard fits in a certain case. But with a new case you'll have to move over the inside of your computer. 
Maybe you could contact Dell for advice?

A new laptop could also work, you'd just have to find one for gaming and you're all set. 

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 5 of 6 (207 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thank you, I'll give it a try!

Message 6 of 6 (202 Views)