Computer Graphics

by FlammenMann

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Computer Graphics

★★★ Novice

Hello, EA HQ

I have just recently bought a gaming computer from an online source and was wondering if you can help me out on this subject. Here are the specifications of the computer and tell me what you think. If I can run The Sims 3 with all expansion packs, and I mean ALL EXPANSION PACKS, and run not with quality but just run for performance and fun without any lag. So, here are the specs...

AMD A6-7400k 3.90GHz Turbo Dual-Core Processor
with Discrete DirectX 11 Graphics R5 Series

8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

AMD Micro ATX FM2+ USB3.0 SATA III Motherboard

these are the best I can come up with instead of a diagnostic from DirectX. Since I haven't received the computer just yet. Just want to make a base line of if this is a "good" computer to run on low grahpics and smooth performance. Thank you so much, Good Gaming Wink

Message 1 of 9 (496 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Computer Graphics

Community Manager

@FlammenMann

Given the below system requirements, I think you will be okay:

PC System Requirements
CPU: For XP 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent; For Windows Vista and Windows 7 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
RAM: For XP 1 GB RAM / Windows Vista and Windows 7 1.5 GB RAM*
DISC DRIVE: DVD drive
Hard Drive: At least 7.1GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games.
Video: 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
* For NVIDIA ION™ computers, the game requires at least 2 GB RAM.
Supported Video Cards: Nvidia GeForce 6 series or better, and all NVidia G, GT, GTS, and GTX video cards. ATI Radeon™ series card 9500 series or better, and all ATI X, X1, and HD video cards; Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA): GMA 3-Series, GMA 4-Series
Please note that the GeForce 6100 and 7100 cards are not supported.

barry.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 9 (627 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@FlammenMann

Given the below system requirements, I think you will be okay:

PC System Requirements
CPU: For XP 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent; For Windows Vista and Windows 7 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
RAM: For XP 1 GB RAM / Windows Vista and Windows 7 1.5 GB RAM*
DISC DRIVE: DVD drive
Hard Drive: At least 7.1GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games.
Video: 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
* For NVIDIA ION™ computers, the game requires at least 2 GB RAM.
Supported Video Cards: Nvidia GeForce 6 series or better, and all NVidia G, GT, GTS, and GTX video cards. ATI Radeon™ series card 9500 series or better, and all ATI X, X1, and HD video cards; Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA): GMA 3-Series, GMA 4-Series
Please note that the GeForce 6100 and 7100 cards are not supported.

barry.png
Message 2 of 9 (628 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@FlammenMann  The problem with the AMD-A6 is the video chip is integrated (discrete does not mean dedicated) with the processor. This usually means the performance of the video system is tied to the clock rate of the processor.  The biggest issue is there is no true dedicated video memory. All the video memory is borrowed from main memory. There are posts about performance issues with AMD APUs. IMO 320Gb hard drive is a bit small for a gaming machine. I don't think the AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics for more demanding games like Sims 3. This setup is very entry level for gaming and may have trouble with packs like PETS and IP - my opinion.

Message 3 of 9 (467 Views)

★★★ Novice
So which of the expansion packs of the Sims 3 would you recommend for being downloading instead of all of them.
Message 4 of 9 (450 Views)

★★★ Novice

I understand what you are saying. If you could tell me what to install and what not to install so I can still enjoy playing this game. I have 5 cd's with all the expansion packs. Thank you for your opinion. Standard smile 

Message 5 of 9 (440 Views)

★★★ Novice

What would you recommend. Buy a graphics card or a APU? I have a graphics slot on this new computer. And it is an entry level computer which is good because I can upgrade the RAM to 32 gb. But I'm not going to buy all that until Christmas or something like that. I saved enough for the computer itself. Thanks for helping :D

Message 6 of 9 (437 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@FlammenMann The AMD A6 APU by itself should be able to run the game - it is the graphic part that is weak. If you have a graphics slot (PCIeX16) you could add a graphics card (would really really help) - and I would recommend a video card with 1Gb (at least) of DDR5 memory and look for the newest level of graphics chip you can afford. You may need to upgrade the power supply for the new graphics card. As Sims 3 is a 32 bit application 8Gb of memory should be fine. If you can upgrade the hard drive to 1Gb will stop you from having to reinstall the operating system in the future and shouldn't increase the cost that much as I have seen 1Gb drives going for $50 usd (minus the credit for the 360 HD) should only a small bump in the price. One thing to check out is AMD recently release the Ryzen processor and is causing Intel into a race to who has the best processor. AMD Threadripper may give Intel even more headaches but at $1000 it's probably going to be a slow takeoff the the Intel Extreme chips were. The AMD Ryzen has put AMD back in the gamers race and it's going to be interesting. This could make existing products start looking like bargain basement buys. Your computer should be good for today's game if you put a descent video card in the system.  hth

Message 7 of 9 (420 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for the information on my computer. It actually came in the same day you mentioned all this. It is fast on low settings, just wondering if you could answer me this. i have 5 cd's with all the expansion packs, which ones do you recommend to install instead of all of them. you know like 1 or 5 or whatever. just the ones that won't make me crash. thank you

Message 8 of 9 (414 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@FlammenMann  You can install all the packs and in the launcher you are able to activate or deactivate (turn on or off) the packs you choose. PETS, Seasons, and IP I know are more demanding packs then others. I am not sure about ITF. If you have the physical version these have out dated DRM in the packs. The digital download (from Origin) will be free of this DRM and match the DRM that your base game should be (Origin). Old version will install but usually don't play right.  hth 

Message 9 of 9 (408 Views)