Computer Freezes While Playing Sims 4

by rokelle2012

Original Post

Computer Freezes While Playing Sims 4

★★★★ Novice

Hello Everyone!

I've had this issue going on for the last several months now and I've just been dealing with it but it has become unbearable recently and left my game literally unplayable. After I load up the game I can only play for a certain amount of time before it freezes my entire computer and I have to do a hard reboot and restart the whole system. Before it would take anywhere from 2-4 hours to do this but now it can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours. My computer specs are as follows:

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core 

Memory: 16gb

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 960

Here is my diaxdiag info: https://pastebin.com/EbLHnjBc

All my drivers are up to date. I have also played with lower in-game settings, without mod, and lower in-game settings without mods. As far as I can tell I am also only having this issue with The Sims 4. Any and all help will be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 4 (2,038 Views)

Re: Computer Freezes While Playing Sims 4

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@rokelle2012 

Do you have any programs running in the background when you play The Sims? Especially graphics programs, such as those used for screenshots.
Close all such programs that you do not need to use during the game.
Check if your Windows is up to date
https://support.microsoft.com/help/4027667/windows-10-update
Perform a clean boot of your computer
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
By the way, you can also check whether your system has any problems that may not have been shown in DxDiag
https://support.microsoft.com/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corr...
However, the most likely cause is some program running in the background what conflicts with the game.
Of course, the reason can also be very simple. Poor ventilation, because the computer was not cleaned for a long time, can also give such an effect.

I don't work for EA

Message 2 of 4 (2,019 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I am not aware of any programs running in the background but it wouldn't be the first time I've forgotten to close one. Definitely need to blow the dust out of my computer for sure. I will try that first, but if it continues I guess I'll have to do a clean install of windows. 

Message 3 of 4 (1,997 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice
Two weeks ago my Sims4 started freezing every minute or so for about 20 seconds. Then this week The whole computer was freezing. I checked windows "Event Viewer" "windows Logs" "System" and found hundreds of Warning entries in the log about my vsmraid "Reset to device, \\Device\\RaidPort0, was issued.".

I looked it up on the internet and found this page [Removed by CM ] that had me edit the power setting in the registry.

Sims4 does not freeze anymore and nether does my computer after the registry edit.

I have set me sims4 to auto save every hour now.

Their is a RECOVERY choice when loading saved games at the bottom right. I have actually had success in recovering changes (not always) after a sims4 crash.

So here are the actual keys to edit, Change attributes from 1 to 2.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\0b2d69d7-a2a1-449c-9680-f91c70521c60

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\dab60367-53fe-4fbc-825e-521d069d2456

then restart windows.

Go into control panel/ power options.

Change plan settings for your preferred plan.

Change Advanced power settings.

Change AHCI Link Power Management to active.

Turn off hard disk to never.

AHCI Link Power Management – Adaptive to 0 millisecond.

PCI Express, change Link State Power Management to Off.

Restart windows and your done.

Message 4 of 4 (1,976 Views)