Code won't work when I put it in on the sims 3 installer

by edieccook

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Code won't work when I put it in on the sims 3 installer

★★★★ Novice

I put the installation code into origin and it worked but when I was asked to put the same code into the sims 3 installer it wouldn't let me click continue (I checked and I did write it correctly). I have tried to contact EA support but they are taking too long... can anyone help?? 

Message 1 of 11 (2,462 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Code won't work when I put it in on the sims 3 installer

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hey @edieccook Standard smile 

I wanted to see if I could replicate the issue on my mac so I downloaded The Sims 3 and went to install. When I clicked the "install" button in Origin a window popped up with the code for the launcher (See spoiler tag).

Spoiler
(Image has been edited to replace game code with text for purposes of sharing this screenshot)
Sims launcher origin.jpg

At this point, could I ask if you've been manually typing the code in?  When it comes to codes, all it needs is for one symbol/space/letter/number to be out of place for the Launcher to not accept it Frown Copy and pasting it in can help prevent that and this pop-up window will allow you to do just that. Can I ask you to copy the code from here and paste the code directly into the Launcher?

When I was trying to replicate your issue, I could to copy the code by pressing Cmd + C together from the 'Important Installation Notice' window and then when the launcher opened and asked for the code, I could select the first box and press Cmd + V together to paste. The full code entered into all the boxes and the 'Continue' button became selectable. 

Please let me know how this goes for you. 

Lanna.png____________________________________________________________

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

View in thread

Message 9 of 11 (2,353 Views)

All Replies

@edieccook  You don't need to add your code anywhere else besides Origin.  Just sign into Origin again, click on the Sims 3 icon in your game library, and then click on the tab that says More.  Under Expansion Packs (or Stuff Packs), you'll find the option to download the pack you just registered.  If it's not showing, try clearing Origin's cache and restarting your computer.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 11 (2,417 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thank you so much for your help but I am not having trouble installing an add on pack I'm actually struggling installing the actual base game. I have installed it on origin but when I click on it it takes me to a tab called 'the sims 3 installer' and then when I get to the step called 'the sims 3 registration' it tells me to enter the registration code and when I do it doesn't say there is an error it just simply wont let me click continue... sorry if I didn't word my initial question quite right but I'm very thankful for your reply!!! Standard smile

Message 3 of 11 (2,414 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I forgot to tag you in my previous comment... sorry!

Message 4 of 11 (2,413 Views)

@edieccook  Are you on a mac?  If so, you'll need to start with a clean uninstall of everything Sims-related.  (If you have saves from a previous install, move your Sims 3 game folder from Documents\Electronic Arts to your desktop so it doesn't get deleted.)  What you're describing sounds like the kind of thing that might happen if you had some hidden library files left over from a previous install, even if that install didn't work.  Here's how to find and remove those files:

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

Before installing, it's a good idea to run the Origin reset tool for macs as well:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

If you do all this and still can't install the base game, let me know, and I'll write out the path for bypassing Origin during the install process.

If you happen to be in Windows, then I'm sorry for not recognizing the symptoms before—I don't have much experience with an Origin/Windows install.  But the same principle applies—you may have leftover files from a previous install that are getting in the way now.  You can remove them with a cleaner app like Piriform's CCleaner (free download), then proceed with the install.

Message 5 of 11 (2,400 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Thank you yet again for your help! I do use a mac and I followed the instructions on the link you provided me, I could only find one folder that it told me to delete, I deleted it and my results were still the same... I am really sorry for bothering you and I really appreciate you helping me out, though I am young, I have no clue how computers work!! Thank you soooooo much :D

Message 6 of 11 (2,395 Views)

@edieccook  I just tested a stuff pack myself, and it seems that the Continue button isn't live unless you've entered the code correctly.  Are you sure you haven't mixed up a couple of characters, for example the letter o and the number zero?  You could try changing the characters that your'e not sure about, just to see if it helps.

If this isn't the issue, it may be better to bypass Origin while installing.  Delete the hidden library files, or file, again, and run the Origin reset tool as well, just to be thorough.  Once you've downloaded the base game, don't click Install.  Instead, you can quit Origin and launch the installer for the game directly.  To do that, open a Finder window and click on your hard disk icon.  If you don't see it, click on Finder in the upper left corner of your screen, go to Preferences, then Sidebar, and check the box to show Hard disks.

Once you've opened the hard disk in Finder, here's the path to find the Sims 3 installer.  (This is not the same Library folder you went through before when doing a clean uninstall.)

Library > Application Support > Origin > Download Cache > (some string of numbers)

Inside the folder labeled with a bunch of numbers, you'll see a file maybe 6 GB in size with the extension .dmg (disk image).  Drag this onto your desktop and double-click to open it, and you can install from there.

If this doesn't work either, please let me know what operating system you're running.  You can find out by clicking on the apple icon in the upper left corner and selecting About This Mac.

Message 7 of 11 (2,383 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict  I have triple checked and I did put the code in right, I also tried the other download option but it didn't work. I am currently using a mac mini (late 2014) on version 10.10.5 and there are no updates currently available for it. Thank you for helping me !!! Standard smile

Message 8 of 11 (2,364 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hey @edieccook Standard smile 

I wanted to see if I could replicate the issue on my mac so I downloaded The Sims 3 and went to install. When I clicked the "install" button in Origin a window popped up with the code for the launcher (See spoiler tag).

Spoiler
(Image has been edited to replace game code with text for purposes of sharing this screenshot)
Sims launcher origin.jpg

At this point, could I ask if you've been manually typing the code in?  When it comes to codes, all it needs is for one symbol/space/letter/number to be out of place for the Launcher to not accept it Frown Copy and pasting it in can help prevent that and this pop-up window will allow you to do just that. Can I ask you to copy the code from here and paste the code directly into the Launcher?

When I was trying to replicate your issue, I could to copy the code by pressing Cmd + C together from the 'Important Installation Notice' window and then when the launcher opened and asked for the code, I could select the first box and press Cmd + V together to paste. The full code entered into all the boxes and the 'Continue' button became selectable. 

Please let me know how this goes for you. 

Lanna.png____________________________________________________________

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

Message 9 of 11 (2,354 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@EA_Lanna Thank you so much!!! I had been manually typing the code but I also tried to copy it once but I must have copied it wrong or something... It's downloading fine now, thank you!! Standard smile)

Message 10 of 11 (2,335 Views)