[CoL] Lagging in Sunshine

by monotram

Original Post

[CoL] Lagging in Sunshine

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hi,

Since I've build a household in the Henfords, I got problems with lagging and the colors are pale, too. I think the reason is the simulation of sunshine above the 64x64 piece of land (look at the pics please). I've a RTX 3060 TI, the drivers are up to date and the option are under the level NVIDIA recommends for the game. Any chance to cut the sunshine out? I already tried several options but it won't get killed and I don't want to play a 8bit game...

Message 1 of 7 (476 Views)

Re: [CoL] Lagging in Sunshine

★★ Guide

First of all, I LOVE your build. Second, this lag is not completely inherent to just this I think. There have been countless reports for lag between build and buy mode. Over 300 people have 'Me Too'd' my thread about lag and FPS loss when switching between them.

Have you tried lowering some settings, have you tried emptying the cache file? Or in other words, what have you tried?

Message 2 of 7 (451 Views)

@monotram  When you say the game lags, do you mean you see low fps, or does the game seem to pause for a few seconds and pick up again, or something else?  Does this happen on other lots in the same world?  If you have Eco Lifestyle, what eco footprint does the lot have?

Please also run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 7 (434 Views)

★ Apprentice

I get problems with very low fps (9-13) when the sun is shining, but I'm not sure if that's the only time. When my sim goes to the vampire neighborhood, I get 178 fps and it fixes it temporarily until I move the camera towards hills or the weather effects (such as sunshine). 

Also that build is amazing <3

Message 4 of 7 (424 Views)

@Moriaena  Please provide the same information, including the dxdiag.  It would be interesting to compare notes.

Message 5 of 7 (411 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict 

I see low fps (9-13fps) until I can manage to stop the low fps. Game does not traditionally stutter, but will just operate slowly. I've had this problem for (possibly) unrelated issues prior to CL, but not in every world. The vampire neighborhood doesn't seem to be affected. My current save file is neutral, but it was green at the start (which is a bug! I have this disabled by default...)

This low fps can be sometimes fixed from opening the notification wall, changing the camera angle (rarely), hitting ESC twice, traveling to another world (but my sim has to start walking around first and everything has to load), and sometimes opening a menu (ordering seeds, etc). If I move to build mode, it won't fix it until I go back to live mode. However, if the low fps *starts* in build mode, some of the mentioned solutions can solve it. Closing and restarting the game seems to be a solution, though it can be very temporary.

Hope all that is useful for you! 

Message 6 of 7 (402 Views)

@Moriaena  There are multiple low fps issues, including one in Build/Buy:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-PC-MAC-Massive-Lag-when-entering-and-exiting-BuyBuild-Mod...

As you can see, there's no good solution for that.  But if you're seeing more widespread low framerates, there's likely something else going on either instead or in addition.  So as a test, please play in a clean user folder: move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto the desktop and let the game create a new one.  Don't add any content to it; just let me know how a new save runs.

If you see the same low fps in live mode—let's put aside Build/Buy issues for the moment—try playing while your computer is not connected to the internet.  You can sign into Origin and put it in offline mode, then disable wifi and/or disconnect the ethernet cable.  This used to be a common issue, not so much anymore, but as it's an easy test it's worth trying.

If that doesn't help, try playing in a clean boot, again while offline and in a clean user folder.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

When you reboot, go through the Task Manager's background processes list and shut down anything that doesn't absolutely need to be running, for example RGB or mouse control software, or MSI Afterburner.  It doesn't really matter if you guess wrong: essential processes should restart themselves immediately, and if you lose some important functionality, you can just reboot your computer to restart the related service.

Message 7 of 7 (392 Views)