Changing game folder's location

by SteelyHero

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Changing game folder's location

★★★★★ Newbie

Heya!

I'm here asking this for my sister, so I don't know myself much about The Sims 3 game or the expansions. But I am much more qualified to ask about this rather technical issue.

So the game had been installed in a OneDrive (cloud storage system) folder without my sister having any idea how. She is still getting new expansions in and she recently noticed that her OneDrive folder was running out of space. That's where I came in and tried to assist her.

I changed the location from the OneDrive folder to the quite basic folder for games which is C:\Program Files\. Of course the game doesn't run with just that change. So I took a backup of the game files and reinstalled The Sims 3. After that I tried to inject the new folder with the Saves folder and see what happened but that of course didn't work either. She has tons of expansion packs so I assume they need to be reinstalled after this occurrence as well.

Now my question is:

What is all in all required to restore her saves in the game? I am going to try to reinstall all the expansion when I have the time but is that all that is needed?

I would like to know in advance everything that I'm required to do to restore her saves. If anyone could confirm me what it takes to do this task I would be grateful.

TL;DR

Moved the location of game files. Have tons of expansion packs. Is reinstalling them (along with the main game) and putting the old save files to the main game's Saves folder all it takes to restore the old saves?

Message 1 of 3 (611 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Changing game folder's location

Hero (Retired)

@SteelyHero  Are the game core files in OneDrive or just the document folder files? IMO the only way to correct this is to reinstall the game and packs. Does your sisteer need OneDrive? If not DO NOT LOG INTO OnDrive. Disable OneDrive and configure OneDrive not to copy the user/documents folder as some updates turn OneDrive on.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (632 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@SteelyHero  Are the game core files in OneDrive or just the document folder files? IMO the only way to correct this is to reinstall the game and packs. Does your sisteer need OneDrive? If not DO NOT LOG INTO OnDrive. Disable OneDrive and configure OneDrive not to copy the user/documents folder as some updates turn OneDrive on.

Message 2 of 3 (633 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

We live in different cities and she's on a vacation so I can't really check right away but I remember finding plenty of game folders there, Saves folder and SavedSims among others. I don't think I saw an .exe file though so it was just part of the game's files there (for some reason).

I already did beforehand everything you said about OneDrive, it's just an inconvenience for her because she has no intention of accessing any of the computer's content anywhere else.

I will do the installation of the packs when I can and see how it goes. Thanks for the help!

Message 3 of 3 (575 Views)