Changing/Editing the font?

by Visual917

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Changing/Editing the font?

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I am currently working on a Turkish language pack for all of the expansion/stuff packs and the base game. However, I really do want to use letters Ş, İ, Ğ and ş, ğ --- ş and ğ always comes up as _

I want to edit the font myself so using that letters is possible. Can you tell me or guide me where is the font files? Maybe they're in one of the .package files in GameData?

NOTHING about this is on internet. All they do is provide Simlish/Sims fonts for general use. Not in-game. Please help me.

Message 1 of 9 (2,539 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Changing/Editing the font?

Community Manager

@Visual917

There are font files stored at Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Resources

They are of the filetype .ttf

Just a couple of points on what you are trying to achieve here:

If you make a Turkish language pack for this or any EA game, you cannot sell that. You will have to give it away for free or just use it yourself.

You might want to check our Term of Service agreement just to make sure you do not run into an issue regarding alteration of game files etc.

EA Terms of Service: https://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/

barry.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 9 (2,507 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Visual917

There are font files stored at Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Resources

They are of the filetype .ttf

Just a couple of points on what you are trying to achieve here:

If you make a Turkish language pack for this or any EA game, you cannot sell that. You will have to give it away for free or just use it yourself.

You might want to check our Term of Service agreement just to make sure you do not run into an issue regarding alteration of game files etc.

EA Terms of Service: https://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/

barry.png
Message 2 of 9 (2,508 Views)

★★ Novice

No one ever sold Turkish language packs before, even a Turkish language and voice pack which was worked on for over a year and it costed them a lot, it was for COD:MW3. This will cost me my time and effort, but I'm doing it for Turkish simmers, and well... my sister Standard smile Thank you for your help.

Message 3 of 9 (2,496 Views)

How to edit in-game fonts?

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I need to use Ö,Ç,Ü,Ş,İ,Ğ and ö,ç,ü,ş,ı,ğ letters for my Turkish language pack (Which is 100% free when I release it) 

I created a topic earlier and someone helped me out and I learned that the fonts are located in The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Resources.

The problem is, I edit the font files perfectly to include missing letters. Yet, when in game, they STILL appear as _ 

I replaced all the fonts with Arial which happens to have Turkish letters in it, but no luck. Are there fonts somewhere else or do I need to change something else? Please help me out Frown I beg you Frown

Most of the fonts have ö ç ü and ı but ş and ğ are missing. I need complete control over the fonts and letters. Can you help me out?

EDIT: I am now 100% certain that the Resources directory doesn't contain in-game fonts, but for the Launcher. Where are the in-game fonts???

Message 4 of 9 (2,493 Views)

Re: How to edit in-game fonts?

★★ Novice

Where are the IN-GAME fonts?

Message 5 of 9 (2,436 Views)

Re: How to edit in-game fonts?

@Visual917  I asked around (twice) to see if anyone had other ideas, and unfortunately, nobody seems to know how to help.  You could always ask at Mod the Sims, where there are still some Sims 3 creators active; perhaps someone there will know what you need to add.  I'm sorry I can't offer anything better.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 6 of 9 (2,395 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Took a deep digging kit, but it turns out to be fairly easy! You can find everything in C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\UI (not resources). You will see a few CSS files when you open the UI package file. The TFF files, which are obviously fonts, are also available. You either want to export and edit the CSS files. You don't know which one, but I* think* Western is the one you want to try out? Then go to the normal

Although after you've checked out that link and are still a bit confused, the way EA imports (which is also how all front-enders do it :P) Is:

@font "LucidaSansTypewriterStd" ;
@font "MyriadPro-Regular" ;
@font "MyriadPro-Bold" ;
@font "PSK SarabunSim3" 

All fonts imported by EA are basically this bit. Maybe you could note that "MyriadPro" is the normal text the game has. However, if you want to import your font by fontvilla, just make sure the "familynamehere" is a web-acceptable font.

Message 7 of 9 (2,271 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It took a deep digging package, but it turns out is pretty simple! All of them can be found in the following: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\UI (Not in fact in the resources). You will see some CSS files when you open the UI package file. You will see TFF files too, which are the fonts of course. You want to export and edit either the CSS files. You don't know which one, but I* think* Western is what you would like to try out? 

lthough after you've checked out that link and are still a bit confused, the way EA imports (which is also how all front-enders do it :P) Is:

@font "LucidaSansTypewriterStd" ;
@font "MyriadPro-Regular" ;
@font "MyriadPro-Bold" ;
@font "PSK SarabunSim3" ;

All fonts that EA imports are essentially this bit. Perhaps the usual word of the game is called "MyriadPro," you might remember. If you want to import yours, just make sure your web-safe font is a web-acceptable fontvilla "familynomehere."

Message 8 of 9 (2,271 Views)

★★★★ Expert

For anyone else interested, the OP posted at MTS and got their answer. Search for:

Where are the in-game fonts and how to edit them (+ Mod The Sims, Sims 3 etc)

The solution here points to the wrong files.

Message 9 of 9 (2,212 Views)