Cannot play without Internet connection?

by TPMoriarty

Original Post

Cannot play without Internet connection?

★★★★ Novice

Ok. So, I have all the Sims 3 and a lot of store content.  Brand new cd's, brand new computer.  I also have the Sims 4.

It seems that neither one will play without an internet connection.

Sims 3 will start the launcher, but then up pops the message that it cannot connect to Origin - which is already running and logged into.

If I still have internet service, I can play fine - even in offline mode.  But when the internet is truly down, no gameplay.

I used to play just fine with or without internet before I bought all new cd's and before it was hooked into Origin.

Sims 4 will not play either.  Both tell me that Origin is needed (even when I am logged into origin).

I have done everything - drivers updated, uninstalled and reinstalled, etc..

Any new ideas?

Message 1 of 13 (542 Views)

Re: Cannot play without Internet connection?

EA Staff

@TPMoriarty You should indeed be able to play offline, but Origin needs to be running in the background.

Could you try placing Origin in Offline mode while you have internet connection (you can do this in the top left hand corner of the client in Origin menu) and then try playing? If you then disconnect internet while Origin is already offline you should not have issues.

Let us know how you get on!

Message 2 of 13 (538 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hello Kristi,

Yes, I can play just fine that way.  No problems there.  It is only when the internet connection is down that I suddenly cannot play.  I can login to Origins while offline, but not play the games.

Message 3 of 13 (536 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have also noticed that when I have a good internet connection and play while offline that either Origin or the Sims is still accessing the internet.  When the internet connection is lost, the games will not play and I get the notice that they require Origin to run.

Message 4 of 13 (532 Views)

EA Staff

@TPMoriarty That is very weird! 

Could you try running a repair on both Sims 3 and Sims 4 to check then if the same happens? To repair the game, right click the base games tile in Origin client and select 'Repair Game' (you need to have internet connection to do this).

Message 5 of 13 (527 Views)

★★★★ Novice

A little about my specs:

Windows 10 Home

Processor:  Intel Core i7-6700k cpu @ 4.0 GHz 4.1 Ghz

Ram:  16 GB

NVidia GeForce GTX 970

Message 6 of 13 (525 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Origin, all games, all expansion packs and all stuff packs.  I have tried repairing them.  I have even wiped the computer clean and reinstalled everything again.  Still same problem.

Message 7 of 13 (524 Views)

EA Staff

@TPMoriarty When you 'wiped your computer' did you format and reinstall Windows, use system restore or did you uninstall all programs one by one?

I would recommend running thought the steps below to see if this helps resolve the issue while offline:

1. Manually uninstall Origin
  2. Run CCleaner
  3. Restart your router/modem and do a Clean Boot
  4. Make sure that your UAC is enabled and set to notify
  5. Download the latest version of Origin and install the client - make sure to run the setup file with Admin rights
  6. Add firewall/antivirus exceptions for Origin and open the needed ports
  7. When starting Origin, please make sure to run it as Administrator

(Please note that you need to have Origin running while playing even when offline.)

Message 8 of 13 (512 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Formatted hard drives, reinstalled everything and I am running them as administrator.

Just got finished with the tech guy at Microsoft, he had some ideas, so gonna try them and will let you know how it goes.

Would be hilarious if this was a windows problem!

Message 9 of 13 (504 Views)

EA Staff

@TPMoriarty Standard smile

Let us know what happens after you try the Microsoft suggestions!

Message 10 of 13 (499 Views)