Re: Cannot find games following a hard drive change

by SierraLeone4

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Ok, so what I just did now was finding each Sims 3-related files and deleted them one by one. When I right-clicked on these files, there was no 'uninstall' option, that's why I clicked 'delete'. Then I emptied the trash bin and ran CCleaner afterwards. Note that the search bar of CCleaner, just as Revo, couldn't pick anything while I typed 'Sims' or 'TS3'. Then I uninstalled Revo and CCleaner and downloaded them again -same thing again.

In absence of Sims related-files showing up, is it reasonable to think that Sims 3 is wiped off for good? Is it safe giving a try to reinstall the game now?

Message 11 of 15 (304 Views)

@SierraLeone4  I can't be sure without seeing your computer, but what I suspect is that the registry entries for Sims 3 were wiped and not restored, and that's why the game has been showing as not installed even with all the program files present.  If that's the case, then yes, you should be able to reinstall without any problems.  The registry entries are what CCleaner and Revo are meant to remove, and leftover entries are what can prevent the game from launching after a reinstall.

Just to be safe though, please look at this guide to manually uninstalling and make sure you don't find any of the registry entries on the list.

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-get-rid-of-unwanted-custom-content.html

It's a lot easier to remove them now than later.  And to be honest, I'm not sure that your particular install would have exactly the same entries as a disc install, whcih is why I though it would be better to let CCleaner or Revo search.  But you can look yourself for anything suspicious, especially anything with the name EA, Sims, or Origin in it.  Since Sims 3 is a 32-bit app, you only have to look in the Wow6432Node section.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 15 (300 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Ok so I couldn't find any registry entries from the list on my computer and had deleted any content I could find earlier. I searched for anything with the name Sims, EA, Origin, and TS3.

In addition, Origin tells me that I still own the games and add-ons and the activation codes appear as already used. How to reinstall the games without buying them again, does EA can see that I have 'owned the games' and give me a new code or renew, etc? They did it in the past (I had to send photos of the boxes and activation codes), but I bought several add-ons in the store, of which I do not have boxes and codes for those here, only the 'proof' that Origin recognizes the past existence of the games and my profile which indicates the games that I owned.
Message 13 of 15 (295 Views)

@SierraLeone4  You should be able to download and install the base game and expansion and stuff packs from Origin without needing to input a code again.  Just open your Origin library, click on the Sims 3 icon, and then click the Install button.  If Origin doesn't ask you whether you want to install all your packs as well, you can manually start those downloads once the base game is installed.

If you own any store worlds or other store items, you'll need to download those through the store itself.  Go to store.thesims3.com, sign in with your Origin credentials, then click Store > My Store Account > Purchase History to view your owned items, or just download them directly from their product pages.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 14 of 15 (750 Views)

★★ Novice
Thank you so much for your help, I followed your instructions and was able to get into a new game!
Message 15 of 15 (239 Views)