Can you play sims 4 with an external hard drive?

by DogeBaranikos

Original Post

Can you play sims 4 with an external hard drive?

★★★ Novice

I have one on the way, but it won't take a short time, so if possible I would cancel the order if it were not possible to play with an external hard drive.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 29 (88,239 Views)

Re: Can you play sims 4 with an external hard drive?

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice
Yes, you can play The Sims 4 with an external hard drive but it will load slower, that "problems" are reduced if you connect it to your 3.0 USB ports but still going slower. I hope this helped you, if yes, it would be nice if you grant me 1xp it realy helps me.
Message 2 of 29 (88,213 Views)

You can, I played from an external drive for quite some time. I'm currently using a SSD disk, don't notice any difference. 

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 3 of 29 (88,197 Views)

★★ Novice
Sorry I’m a few months late but I got sims 4 for Christmas and wanted to know if the external hard drive works. I haven’t installed it yet so I was wondering if you installed the game on to the external hard drive
Message 4 of 29 (87,271 Views)

I did, I had a Seagate external drive. I now moved to an internal disk, I haven't noticed a difference. 

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 5 of 29 (87,260 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Okay so just to confirm because my laptop is really old and but my partners is new but I don’t want to take up there storage. I can run the game fully off the external not having any saved data on the laptop it’s self? 

Message 6 of 29 (80,079 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

HI @xLEMN11 

You can only move the game files to an external folder. The game also creates a user folder in documents but that can't be redirected. So your user data will always be in the hard drive of your partner.

Also running the game from external drives has it's downsides, especially when you remove the drive and it potentially gets a new drive assigned.  

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 7 of 29 (80,070 Views)

★★★ Newbie
i was wondering can you solve this? I have moved all of my game content including origin and the application (the sims 4 ) itself to an external hard drive. that was some time ago - now when i open the game from my external hard drive none of my saves or content is there and it opens as if the game is new. I have noticed this is because it is not referencing the Electronic Arts folder that is on my external hard drive - but instead creating a new Electronic Arts folder on my macs Documents tab and using that one instead (which obviously is new and has no saves) i have tried re-installing/downloading the game to my external hard drive and ensuring the location it is installed is always my external hard drive but it still makes a new electronic arts folder on my macs hard drive? I have contacted you once with this issue and I’ve tried moving my game application into my macs applications folder but the issue is not resolved Frown
Message 8 of 29 (79,982 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@lucy4mfb 

The user folders are only created under Documents and can not be moved to an external drive. You can have a copy there for backup purposes but that is all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 9 of 29 (79,978 Views)

★ Novice

Hi! I copied my sims 4 files onto an external hard drive and then copied the files from the hard drive onto a device that does not support origin (Latest model of touchscreen chromebook) can I open it on a device like this? If so, how do I open it from my files?

Message 10 of 29 (79,757 Views)