Re: Can you play sims 4 with an external hard drive?

by LexLennon

Original Post

★ Novice

So if I buy a Seagate Expansion 1TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive for my asus laptop, will it work for the sims 4?

Message 21 of 29 (1,906 Views)

@REOFOX08  You could certainly install Sims 4 on an external hard drive.  How well it would work would still depend on your computer's internal components though: processor, graphics card, memory.  And playing from an external drive would be slower than playing from your internal drive, perhaps by a significant amount depending on how fast the internal drive is.

If you'd like to get a general idea of how your computer might handle Sims 4, please list the internal components I mentioned, or even better, run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 22 of 29 (1,898 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

I had originally played the game on my 2014 MacBook, but then, because my HD had too little storage, I loaded my macOS to a WD 4TB EHD and created a User account on it. On that User account I was able to download and play Sims 4 AND Parallels. The startup runs VERY slow IF I have massive mods like Arnie’s World Edit, but with that gone my game loads and plays w/ 3k mods just fine. W/ World Edit my game took, like, SIX HOURS to load! Hahaha so, yeah. Without THAT mod you should be just fine.😉

****EDIT*** I have since purchased a new 2T Samsung 7T external hard drive (EHD) and it works SO much smoother! I can run my game w/ 3k+ mods and on Ultra and the game loads in less than 6mins.! IT'S AMAZING!

Message 23 of 29 (1,703 Views)

★ Novice

I play Sims On External Hard Drive do I Need To Eject After I’m Done 

Message 24 of 29 (1,643 Views)

@Prxncesschy  You do need to eject the drive if you're planning on unplugging it.  This is true for any external drive or USB stick: it can damage the drive to remove it without ejecting first.  If you plan on leaving the drive plugged in though, you don't need to do anything else.

Message 25 of 29 (1,631 Views)

★ Novice

I was trying to play the sims with all my mods on an external hard drive but when it was updating it started to re download the sims on my computer and even though all my mods are on my external hard drive they won't load on the sims 

Message 26 of 29 (1,580 Views)

@willcragg  Your mods are in the Sims 4 user folder, which by default is in Documents\Electronic Arts.  If you copy this folder to your external drive, the game will create a new folder in the usual location and use that rather than reading the folder you moved.

Are you saying Origin redownloaded the game's program files onto your internal drive, or that a new Sims 4 user folder was created in Documents\Electronic Arts?  These are two separate issues with separate causes and workarounds.

Message 27 of 29 (1,571 Views)

★ Novice

How did u do it 

Message 28 of 29 (1,485 Views)

Community Manager
Hey all,

At this point this thread has all the pertinent information available to address any issues with the Sims 4 and external Hard Drives and had been locked to prevent future necro posting.

Thanks.
EACade
Message 29 of 29 (1,462 Views)