Re: Can you play sims 4 with an external hard drive?

by Carime_Ann

Original Post

Champion (Retired)

Chromebooks are not capable of playing any PC games.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 11 of 29 (8,575 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi! Eventually my saved files took up more space than the original application itself. I've managed to transfer my saved files to my external hard drive and have the game save all files to that location, kudos to reddit user melmano: you can look at her post here; her explanation is really clear!  

If you're using a Mac, what we're looking at is creating SymLinks - we want our desktop/ laptop to be able to access the folder (Documents > Electronic Arts) on our hard drive as though the folder were on it itself. I followed the instructions here to create it and you may also need this if you're not too familiar with paths. Hope this helps! Standard smile 

Message 12 of 29 (8,443 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi,

Don't know if you've already solved this.  But I recently got an MacBook Pro, and didn't want to take up any memory on the laptop itself.  I bought a My Passport for Mac, and it's running great.  I haven't really noticed any problems, or lag in loading.  I made sure to download Origin to the external first, and it had no problems with that either. 

Hopefully this helps.

Message 13 of 29 (8,263 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Yeah it would load files fine off an external drive. Especially if it was trhough an eSATA port, which is the same as being directly plugged into a SATA port and you notice zero difference in latency or read/write speed.  USB 3 is a bit more sluggish in writes but in reads its not that bad, especially if its an SSD you'd barely notice much difference.

Some possibly false info here about the documents folder.  You can actually tell that to be saved somewhere else.  You just right click on Documents folder and click properties, then add a folder to your external drive.  Then "Set Save Location"

This in theory should make every single game that would save to the Documents folder then be saved to wherever the new folder is....  You could predict some problems doing this since some games, and especially older ones wouldn't go by this setting and may manually still try to save it to the Documents folder on C:\ or wherever you have windows installed.

Personally I wouldn't do this, I would keep it in its default location and just back up the folder every so often.  But if you were totally empty on C drive for space and used a lot of big mods, then maybe try this.  Also may be useful if you wanted to store everything, saves and the actual game in one drive so you could transport it to different PC's more easily but each new PC would have to have its documents folder re-directed...

but Backup the entire documents at least twice first though before you do anything.

Message 14 of 29 (8,222 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have a Seagate one I just purchased and I can’t figure it out. Do you mind giving me tips?

Message 15 of 29 (7,179 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'm in the exact same situation, except when I try to play the sims, it just jumps up and down and freezes. How did you place the files and applications? Did you have to change the path? If so, how did you do it? 

Message 16 of 29 (6,984 Views)

★★ Novice
@jpkarlsen Does this mean that you can transfer your old (backed up) save files into the new Documents folder on the internal hard drive, whilst running the game itself on the external drive?
Message 17 of 29 (6,624 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@deecharrl 

Yes, saves go in the Saves Folder. You also should copy the contents of the Tray folder. Ignore files you are told already exists.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 18 of 29 (6,596 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi there!  I see you're a MacBook user like me.  I no longer have enough space on my MacBook for my game and all my mods and CC so I bought an external hard drive and copied my game files to the hard drive.  The issue I'm running into is that I cannot change the path on Origin to use the files on the external.  Are you saying you downloaded Origin to the external itself or changed the path?  I won't be able to play with the upcoming game update and EP if I can't get this to work.  Thanks!

Message 19 of 29 (6,298 Views)

[ Edited ]

@militarymama27  Please see this thread for instructions and troubleshooting for installing Sims 4 onto an external drive in macOS:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/downloading-sims-on-LaCie-external-hard-drive-MacOs-C...

If you want to move your user data to the external drive as well, please read this post:

https://bluebellflora.com/saving-your-sims-4-folder-to-an-external-drive/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 20 of 29 (6,281 Views)