Re: Can this laptop run Sims 4 on high settings?

by jpkarlsen

Original Post

Can this laptop run Sims 4 on high settings?

★★★ Newbie

I'm thinking of buying a new laptop, and I would like to know if this model can run Sims 4 + All Expansions on High-Ultra Settings? Thank you! 

http://www.villman.com/Product-Detail/Acer_VX5-591G-51DL

Operating System : Windows 10
Processor  : Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor (6 MB cache, 2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.5 GHz)
Memory : 4GB DDR4 SDRAM
Storage : 256GB SSD
Display  : 15.6-in FHD Active Matrix TFT Color LCD 1920 x 1080 Display
Graphics : 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 VRAM
Message 1 of 4 (1,487 Views)

Champion (Retired)

It has too little RAM otherwise it should be fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 4 (1,469 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you! Is the RAM the only off thing about it? Is i5 okay? Or would i7 be better?

How about this model? Would this be a safer choice? Is the 200-300$ difference worth it?

http://villman.com/Product-Detail/Acer_Nitro5_AN515-42-R9G7

Model : Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42-R9G7
Processor : AMD RYZEN 7 2700U quad-core processor (up to 2 MB L2 cache, up to 4 MB L3 cache, 2.2 GHz with Precision Boost up to 3.8 GHz, 15 W)
Memory : 8GB of DDR4 system memory, upgradable to 32 GB using two soDIMM modules
Storage : 128GB M.2 SSD + 1 TB 2.5-inch 5400 RPM
Display : 15.6" display with IPS (In-Plane Switching) technology, Full HD 1920 x 1080, Acer ComfyView LED-backlit TFT LCD 16:9 aspect ratio Wide viewing angle up to 170 degrees Ultra-slim design Mercury free, environment friendly
Graphics : AMD Radeon RX 560X with 4 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM, supporting Shader Model 5.0, Microsoft DirectX 12, OpenGL 4.5, OpenCL 2.0
Message 3 of 4 (1,449 Views)

Champion (Retired)

This is a very nice laptop that will have no trouble running The Sims 4 or other games/programs you may want to use.

The only slight concern is the small SSD this means you must take care to install most programs on the other drive. Normally you do this by selecting a custom install which will give you an option on where to install. You will likely also want to move the documents folder using this tutorial:  https://www.windowscentral.com/how-move-default-user-folders-new-drive-windows-10

An I5 will be just fine the main thing to look for there is what generation it is (6xxx, 7xxx, 8xxx). Earlier generations will work fine as well but when buying a new PC the newer processors are a better option.

And yes the only thing ruling the first one out is too little RAM. Normally this can be upgraded easily. Sometimes there are an option on checkout to upgrade otherwise a shop can do it but you need to make sure it is upgradeable. Not all are. It should be mentioned somewhere if it is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 4 of 4 (1,435 Views)