Can this computer run the sims 4?

by katiecat391

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can this computer run the sims 4?

★ Novice

Hello!

I'm going to be saving for a gaming laptop so I can finally play sims 4 again! I checked over the game requirements myself, but since I'm not great with computers, I wanted to double check here if this laptop would run the game smoothly:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/alienware-15/spd/alienware-15-laptop/DKCWCFLF033

Also, would I have to pay for any of the add-ons listed? They confused me, honestly, but I think based on the recommended specs I wouldn't have to pay extra for anything?

I like playing with the graphics settings on high and tend to use lots of custom content, if that helps or changes things any.

Thanks so much in advance! 

Message 1 of 3 (462 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can this computer run the sims 4?

@katiecat391  Yes, that computer would run TS4 with all expansions and all the custom content you could find, and on high settings.  It's actually a bit of overkill for the game; you'd do just fine with an Nvidia 1060 instead of a 1070.  The other add-ons wouldn't be necessary, atlhough it's certainly a good idea to get the free upgrade to 2666 MHz RAM, rather than the stock 2400.

The one consideration with the configuration you picked is that you'd probably need to install TS4 on the 1 TB mechanical drive, rather than the smaller SSD, and direct your Documents folder there as well.  This wouldn't affect performance—many games benefit from an SSD, but TS4 isn't one of them.  Still, managing the setup might be more trouble than you want to deal with.  And you would of course get the benefit of Windows itself starting up faster, as well as other programs you installed on the SSD.

By the way, if price is a factor, I could find you a laptop that would run everything you wanted for significantly less.  Depending on whether you want a single drive and/or the benefits of a fast SSD, as well as how the current sales look, you might save $400-600 U.S.  For example, you could start with this laptop:

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Tracer-III-15-Xtreme-VR-300

and add a PCIe SSD (the fastest category; look at the R/W speed) of your choice for a much lower price.  Its Nvidia 1060 6 GB is weaker than the 1070, but that won't make a difference for TS4.

If you want help picking out a computer, you can always ask.  It's better to wait until you're ready to buy, since prices change.  And of course please list anything else you want the laptop to be able to do.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (454 Views)

All Replies

@katiecat391  Yes, that computer would run TS4 with all expansions and all the custom content you could find, and on high settings.  It's actually a bit of overkill for the game; you'd do just fine with an Nvidia 1060 instead of a 1070.  The other add-ons wouldn't be necessary, atlhough it's certainly a good idea to get the free upgrade to 2666 MHz RAM, rather than the stock 2400.

The one consideration with the configuration you picked is that you'd probably need to install TS4 on the 1 TB mechanical drive, rather than the smaller SSD, and direct your Documents folder there as well.  This wouldn't affect performance—many games benefit from an SSD, but TS4 isn't one of them.  Still, managing the setup might be more trouble than you want to deal with.  And you would of course get the benefit of Windows itself starting up faster, as well as other programs you installed on the SSD.

By the way, if price is a factor, I could find you a laptop that would run everything you wanted for significantly less.  Depending on whether you want a single drive and/or the benefits of a fast SSD, as well as how the current sales look, you might save $400-600 U.S.  For example, you could start with this laptop:

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Tracer-III-15-Xtreme-VR-300

and add a PCIe SSD (the fastest category; look at the R/W speed) of your choice for a much lower price.  Its Nvidia 1060 6 GB is weaker than the 1070, but that won't make a difference for TS4.

If you want help picking out a computer, you can always ask.  It's better to wait until you're ready to buy, since prices change.  And of course please list anything else you want the laptop to be able to do.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (455 Views)

★ Novice
Thanks so much for your help! I've bookmarked the one you linked to and am looking into some other options now as well. Might come back here for help once I'm ready to buy like you suggested, too Standard smile
Message 3 of 3 (432 Views)