Re: Can this computer run Sims 4 and packs + CC

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Can this computer run Sims 4 and packs + CC

★★★ Newbie

I downloaded the Sims 4 with all the expansions pack for free and have put it onto a removable flash drive. On my school laptop it ran fine, but now I want to buy a cheap gaming laptop. After hours of scouring the web I finally settled on an "HP Laptop 15-db0005ds AMD A9-Series A9-9425 (3.10 GHz) 8 GB Memory 128 GB SSD AMD Radeon R5 Series 15.6" Touchscreen Windows 10 Home 64-bit". Onto my question, would this specific laptop be able to run my sims 4 game? The game is on a removable flash drive since my school laptop didn't have enough storage. 

Thanks for all your help! 🙂

- A broke highschool student. 

Message 1 of 5 (2,144 Views)

Champion (Retired)

It would run the base game fine. But it will begin to struggle with some of the later packs. The HDD is too small as an only drive.

If you post what your budget is and your country I'm sure that @puzzlezaddict  can help you find something more suitable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 5 (2,121 Views)

★★★ Newbie

My budget is 0 to 450 dollars. I live in america. 

Message 3 of 5 (2,105 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hi @ScorpioSimmer_15, what you'd need really depends on what expansions you've purchased. Standard smile The newer expansions like Cats and Dogs, Seasons and Get Famous would have different requirements from the base game or older expansions for example and @jpkarlsen is correct that the laptop listed might struggle for those or future releases.  

If in doubt about what's needed, the system requirements for any product can always be found on the Origin Store. It will be listed under each expansion/game pack/stuff pack. Click on the expansion and look for the heading titled 'System Requirements' for those details. Once you've got an idea of what is absolutely needed to run the products you own, it'll help with searching for a device that'll do the job for you and hopefully save you spending more than you'd need too. 

You mentioned shopping online but if you're also going to tech stores, you might get a chance to checkout the device before buying. The devices displayed on the floor are generally connected to the store's internet and if not, asking a clerk to test this would work either. Open "Can I run this" in the browser from that device and enter in the expansion into the search bar to confirm there and then if the device is up to the minimum requirements. 

Lanna.png____________________________________________________________

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

Message 4 of 5 (2,092 Views)

@ScorpioSimmer_15  As @jpkarlsen said, the computer you linked won't be able to handle TS4's newer expansions very well, and may not run them at all if they're installed together.  Among other things, this laptop only has integrated graphics, although it's stronger than many integrated models.  However, for the newer EPs, you really do need a medium strength dedicated graphics card.  The game has significant graphics processing needs and will start to lag badly if those needs are not being fulfilled.

The requirements on EA sites are generally for the base game plus just that one expansion, not the entire run of packs put together.  At the moment, running all packs on the highest settings requires at the very least an Nvidia 1050 or an AMD 550 for a graphics card.  Many players will still see frame rate drops on those cards; whether this is acceptable depends on the player.  For the sake of futureproofing, it's best to get a stronger card, although that will be more expensive, of course.

Right now, the cheapest laptop I could find that would currently run all TS4 packs on ultra settings costs $600.  With future packs, you might need to dial back the settings to high, but it would still run the game very well.  The other drawback is its single 256 GB SSD, but you could add a second hard drive very easily, when you needed to; a 1 TB HDD could cost as little as $40.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Gaming-Processor-Gigabit-Windows/dp/B07M9SMWMS

Desktops are a bit cheaper, but that doesn't include the monitor.

Below this level of computer, the performance drops off quickly.  The next level of graphics card down will struggle with the more demanding EPs, and it's not much cheaper (maybe around $550).  By the time you get to the $450 range, you're talking about hardware that won't be able to keep up with what you're asking of it.  I'm sorry to say it, but what you're looking for isn't available in that price range.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 5 of 5 (2,061 Views)