Re: Can't use mods on Windows

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't use mods on Windows

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Hey all,

This is my second time trying to move my game files over to a windows machine from my Mac. The first time I was dissuaded because I could not use my mods. It is happening again.

The thing is that my windows laptop is a gaming computer that can play the game with much better graphics, so I want to solve the problem once and for all.

I am an experienced modder. No need to explain the basics to me. I know you're going to anyway, but for the love of mike refrain if you are allowed to.

The message I am getting, every time, no matter what, is that my files are corrupted. Yes, I've looked it up, and yes, I've tried to repair the game and I've removed the mods. The issue is that even updated and fresh mods are causing this message to happen. Any and every mod, even when there is only one. This is what happened the last time I tried to play on windows. 

I want to just be able to have three mods. That's it. The primary one I want is the most updated deaderpool MCCC. I have repaired the game and downloaded a fresh, most up to date copy, and even that file is allegedly "corrupted" and prevents origin from starting my game. 

Message 1 of 3 (323 Views)

Accepted Solution

@keroseneheart  I've moved your post to the Sims 4 PC tech section, since the issue is with Windows and not macOS.

I don't have to explain anything you already know, and I wouldn't want to waste my time on the basics either.  If you got your mods working once, you should know how to do it again.  At the very least though, please test in an otherwise clean game folder, so you can eliminate other potential causes of the error.

There are a few different reasons I can think of that you'd be getting that message:

• You're transferring the mods from macOS to Windows.  It sounds like you're probably not doing this, but I'll mention it anyway; just download new ones directly onto your gaming laptop.
  • Your browser is set to open the files rather than merely saving them.  Again, unlikely, but worth mentioning, and solvable by resetting preferences or using a different browser.
  • Windows is syncing your Documents folder with OneDrive.  This causes all sorts of problems, but it's easy enough to test by disabling OneDrive temporarily.
  • Your antivirus/firewall is objecting to some content in your game folder.  You can temporarily disable that too, to test.
  • Windows is set to automatically compress some files, and that includes your mods.  You can disable this for a given folder by right-clicking on the folder, choosing Properties > General > Advanced, and unchecking the box to compress contents.

If none of this helps, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 3 of 3 (308 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@keroseneheartI'm a long time PC veteran but not a mac person. The only thing I can think of is the files might be getting corrupted during transfer from mac to PC.

Does the same thing happen if you download the mods fresh on the PC?

Try deleting the resource.cfg file in the PC mods directory. Since that is a text file, the LF/CR might have gotten messed up. It's a common problem transferring text files between different OS computers. If you copied it from the mac, the LF/CR might have gotten translated wrong and could be causing the PC Sims 4 game to fail to read it properly. If you delete the file and run Sims4, it'll automatically be re-generated.

Message 2 of 3 (310 Views)

@keroseneheart  I've moved your post to the Sims 4 PC tech section, since the issue is with Windows and not macOS.

I don't have to explain anything you already know, and I wouldn't want to waste my time on the basics either.  If you got your mods working once, you should know how to do it again.  At the very least though, please test in an otherwise clean game folder, so you can eliminate other potential causes of the error.

There are a few different reasons I can think of that you'd be getting that message:

• You're transferring the mods from macOS to Windows.  It sounds like you're probably not doing this, but I'll mention it anyway; just download new ones directly onto your gaming laptop.
  • Your browser is set to open the files rather than merely saving them.  Again, unlikely, but worth mentioning, and solvable by resetting preferences or using a different browser.
  • Windows is syncing your Documents folder with OneDrive.  This causes all sorts of problems, but it's easy enough to test by disabling OneDrive temporarily.
  • Your antivirus/firewall is objecting to some content in your game folder.  You can temporarily disable that too, to test.
  • Windows is set to automatically compress some files, and that includes your mods.  You can disable this for a given folder by right-clicking on the folder, choosing Properties > General > Advanced, and unchecking the box to compress contents.

If none of this helps, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 3 (309 Views)