Can't update game, Origin says no internet (there is internet)

by purefoysgirl

Original Post

Can't update game, Origin says no internet (there is internet)

★ Apprentice

I tried to update my mom's game to the latest patch because she's been wanting to go on the gallery. Previously, she had tried to go on the gallery after patching and it was telling her she had to be online (she was) and did she want to go online, so she would click yes and it would tell her that her game wasn't registered (it absolutely is, she has almost every game and pack legitimately and registered thru Origin). We chalked it up to the servers being down or something and hoped the next update would fix it. Today I got everything ready and tried to update her game, and it will verify for a moment, then tell me it can't do it because there's no internet connection. I tried clearing the Origin caches and restarting, and setting Origin to run as admin, but it's still giving me the same problem. I don't really know what to do at this point. Trying to repair the game would no doubt give me the same error, and I'm afraid that if I uninstall/reinstall Origin, it will just not recognize her game at all and she'll no longer be able to play. Considering the amount of money she's sunk into this game, I am really not wanting that outcome. Is there anything at all I can do? For now, I've just left her offline so she can still play, but she'll want new content in the future and this is going to be a big problem very fast.

Message 1 of 12 (801 Views)

Re: Can't update game, Origin says no internet (there is internet)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I've had the same problem, have a stable internet connection, and tried to install the update over multiple days but I'm still unable to play the game. It's frustrating to not be able to play a game that can amount to $100+ when you buy its mods. 

I did try Uninstalling Origin and install again, logged in and my games are fine, but still can't update the Sims 4. 

Message 2 of 12 (772 Views)

@purefoysgirl and @DdancingSsushi  Please try using the EA App instead, at least temporarily.  You can download it here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/FAQ-EA-Desktop-Beta/td-p/9090992

After that, you can go back to using Origin, which you may need to reinstall.  Origin and the EA App can be installed on the same computer at the same time; you just can't run them both at the same time.  If Origin throws an error when you try to open it, just restart your computer.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 12 (767 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am not comfortable doing that. I've seen many different simmers say that the EA app doesn't install or recognize all of their DLC, and my mother primarily uses her game to build and share lots, so not being able to access the game assets she's paid for is a deal breaker. Are you suggesting I install it just to update her game? And I'm still running the risk of her not being able to "go online" even though she's online and share her builds. How can I make EA/Origin aware of this issue? It looks like it's not just my mother and one other person with this problem.

Message 4 of 12 (755 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Additionally, I've tried the solutions here (changing DNS, Winsock reset, add to firewall, run Origin as admin, proxy servers already disabled) and the problem still persists. I pulled the Sims 4 folder entirely, started it up once in offline mode to generate a new folder, went back online and tried to update, and it still won't let me. If this issue becomes progressive, people simply won't be able to continue supporting the franchise. I really wish someone would take this seriously and figure out a solution.

Message 5 of 12 (722 Views)

@purefoysgirl  Yes, I'm suggesting installing the EA App to update the game, then going back to Origin if you prefer.  I've seen the threads about content not showing up in the EA App, and I've answered some of them too.  The good news, relatively speaking, is that the issue with the App appears to be transient, and going back to Origin fixes it.

The issue with Origin has been reported, and you'll see other threads with answers from EA staff.  But if you don't want to wait, the EA App is (probably) a viable alternative.  You can have both apps installed on your computer, you just can't run them both at the same time.

Message 6 of 12 (681 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict ok but how do i go back to origin? it uninstalled and it wont reinstall
Message 7 of 12 (583 Views)

★ Novice

Ok I have the same problem. Do NOT uninstall Sims. I did with the intention to reinstall and Origin will not even download the game, I just get the same error message. I have tried all of the fixes I can find I even just bought a new computer(thinking it was my older computer that was the issue). 

Message 8 of 12 (564 Views)

★ Novice

I've been having the same problem. I've tried every method that I found to fix it and nothing has worked so far...

Message 9 of 12 (548 Views)

@shalfart  What happens when you try to install Origin?  If you get an error message, please post a screenshot.  And can you in fact play through the EA App?  It doesn't always work as well as Origin, but it's mostly stable these days.

@Royasjoy  Does the EA App not work for you?

Message 10 of 12 (529 Views)