Re: Can't run TS4, system says I need the Legacy Edition

by joanapanados

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't run TS4, system says I need the Legacy Edition

★★★★★ Newbie

Hello everyone!

For the second time now I'm having an error when trying to open TS4.

I've downloaded it from Origin and I was able to play it after installing it. After playing for a bit without any problems, I've saved the game and closed it. Later on, when I tried to open the game again, I got an error saying that I have missing data and that I need to install the Legacy Edition in order to play. I've attached a screenshot of the error I get.

Now, I don't want to install the Legacy Edition because this won't allow me to have all the packs and expansions I will eventually have (I only have Tiny Living and Paranormal Stuff so far).

I know that my PC has the minimum requirements, even though it doesn't have the recommended ones, but this shouldn't be a problem given that I was indeed able to play it after installing it the first time.

I had already tried to uninstall and instal everything again, but I seem to get into the same problem once again.

I'm really not sure what to do here and I don't understand what seems to be the problem.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Thank you

Message 1 of 4 (420 Views)

Accepted Solution

@joanapanados  The most common cause for this error, other than the obvious one that some computers can't run the standard version of Sims 4, is that an antivirus program has blocked or even deleted TS4_x64.exe, which runs the game.  When Origin can't find the .exe, it prompts the user to download the LE instead.

Repairing the game will usually put the .exe back, at least temporarily.  Then you can set exceptions for it and Origin.exe in your antivirus program.  If that doesn't help, try disabling the antivirus first, then repairing.  As long as you don't do anything else on your computer during that time, it should be perfectly safe.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (418 Views)

All Replies

@joanapanados  The most common cause for this error, other than the obvious one that some computers can't run the standard version of Sims 4, is that an antivirus program has blocked or even deleted TS4_x64.exe, which runs the game.  When Origin can't find the .exe, it prompts the user to download the LE instead.

Repairing the game will usually put the .exe back, at least temporarily.  Then you can set exceptions for it and Origin.exe in your antivirus program.  If that doesn't help, try disabling the antivirus first, then repairing.  As long as you don't do anything else on your computer during that time, it should be perfectly safe.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (419 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@puzzlezaddict Hello and thank you for your prompt assistance!

I will have to uninstall everything and I'll install everything again. Then I'll proceed with your suggestion and add both Origin and I'll add TS4 just to be on the safe side, because I did notice that the TS4_x64.exe was missing.

I will update once I have more info on this.

Thank you very much once again!
Message 3 of 4 (403 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@puzzlezaddict Hello again!

Just wanted to give a quick update and thank you again for your help!

I've been playing without a single problem so far, so it definitely worked!

Thank you once again 😄
Message 4 of 4 (342 Views)