Can't register Sims 3 on EA website to install the game

by pgravestock

Original Post

Can't register Sims 3 on EA website to install the game

★★★ Newbie

I bought a physical copy of The Sims 3 from Amazon. When I try an install the game, first of all the Origin app starts up and asks me to enter my Product Code. I type in the 20 character code printed on the bottom of the installation guide.

I get the error message:

'We're sorry, this code cannot be redeemed here. Please redeem your code at the following site:
https://www.thesims3.com/registeragame.html'

Clicking on this link sends me to the EA site, where once I am logged in, I click on the 'Register a Game' link, and get the error message:

This website is not available.

The server at sims3web01.sig.max.ad.ea.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.

I have tried using Chrome (as above) and IE, and get the same error message.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Paul

Message 1 of 4 (1,652 Views)

Re: Can't register Sims 3 on EA website to install the game

Hero

How many times did you try ? Maybe try again now. Could have been a server hiccup.

Also make sure your firewall/antivirus are not blocking the connection.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 4 (1,636 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi crinrict,

I've tried installing a number of times on this PC using a standard user ID and an administrator ID over the last two days. I have also disabled my firewall, still without any luck.

I've tried pinging  sims3web01.sig.max.ad.ea.com from my PC command line and get the error message 'Ping request could not find host sims3web01.sig.nax.ad.ea.com'.

As this ping request would have gone through my PC/router that is obviously failing on the install, I have also tried pinging the host name using a PC with a completely different broadband supplier, and get a message that says hostname not valid. To prove to myself that my ping test is at least remotely valid, I've pinged 'answers.ea.com' and get replys back, so I am happy that my attempt to ping the activation site should work.

I've also tried clicking on the other links that appear on https://www.thesims3.com/ under 'My Account' (Register a Game - what I am trying to do, Redeem a code, Purchase SimPoints, My Account and Settings -  which have links with a similar URL structure to Register a Game), and all return the same error message, with the exception of 'Email Preferences' which is a link to a different URL (e.g. not sims3web01.sig.max.ad.ea.com).

So either there is some kind of problem with sims3web01.sig.max.ad.ea.com or it is just wrong. I had wondered if the launch of SimCity for Mac was overloading the EA infrastructure, but am running out of ideas.

Regards

Paul

Message 3 of 4 (1,622 Views)

Hero

Well, you seem to be the only one I've seen with this particular issue.

Did you talk to a game advisor yet ?

Game advisors can be found through live chat.

1. https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/ 
  2. Set your language to US at the bottom
  3. Describe your issue with a few words
  4. Select Product: The Sims 3
  5. Select Category: Billing/Purchasing or Account Management
  6. Select Platform: PC
  7. Click Find solution
  8. Scroll down and click I still need help
  9. Click Chat Now to chat with a Game Advisor

With Pics here: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2012/10/how-to-contact-ea.html

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 4 (1,614 Views)