Can't open sims 4 (Origin opens instead)

by J3LLYFISHE

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't open sims 4 (Origin opens instead)

★★ Novice

So, I know this is a common issue, so I've looked every forums for help (in a matter of speaking) to solve the fact that when I try to open sims (4), it brings me back to Origin.
(When I click on the app, it sends me to the game page on Origin, and when I click play on that game page, it gives it a few seconds, and then comes right back to it)

Here's all the things I've tried without any success:
-Restart my computer
-Uninstall origin and reinstall (same for the game itself)
-Do a clean reboot
-Transfer a backup file of my game somewhere and restart the game (Which worked, but as soon as I replaced the files into the sims 4 game folder, started doing the same thing again)
-Repair game (Origin option)

(I'd like to add that the mods I have added doesn't seem to be the issue, since even taken out, was still doing the same issue)

Thank you for the help Heart

Message 1 of 9 (17,322 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't open sims 4 (Origin opens instead)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@J3LLYFISHE

-Transfer a backup file of my game somewhere and restart the game

When you do this, you're supposed to put one folder back at a time, start the game, then put the next back. Which folder caused the problem? If you didn't put then back one at a time, please redo it Standard smile

Resetting your files to factory settings.

• Make a backup; copy your The Sims 4-folder from C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts to an external drive or somewhere else on your computer, for example your desktop.
  • Rename the The Sims 4-folder in C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts to The Sims 4_backup
  • Start the game, make a new save, and see if the error is gone. 
    (The game will have created a new The Sims 4-folder in your documents, this is supposed to happen)

• If yes, continue
      • If no, post a reply telling us the error is still there
  • Start putting folders back in the new The Sims 4-folder. Observe! After every file/folder, start the game and make sure it still works, before putting in the next one.
    • Options.ini - your game settings
    • Saves - your old saves. The sub-folders are not needed. If putting these back causes problem, try putting one back at a time.
    • Screenshots
    • Custom music - if you have any
    • Tray - your library objects; like lots, rooms and sims
    • Mods - your mods and cc, might cause problems when putting back

If putting back one of the folders was problematic and you did not work it out, please post a reply and we'll see if we can find what your problem is!

Source: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/backing-up-and-resetting-the-sims-4/

Good Luck! Standard smile

View in thread

Message 2 of 9 (17,558 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@J3LLYFISHE

-Transfer a backup file of my game somewhere and restart the game

When you do this, you're supposed to put one folder back at a time, start the game, then put the next back. Which folder caused the problem? If you didn't put then back one at a time, please redo it Standard smile

Resetting your files to factory settings.

• Make a backup; copy your The Sims 4-folder from C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts to an external drive or somewhere else on your computer, for example your desktop.
  • Rename the The Sims 4-folder in C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts to The Sims 4_backup
  • Start the game, make a new save, and see if the error is gone. 
    (The game will have created a new The Sims 4-folder in your documents, this is supposed to happen)

• If yes, continue
      • If no, post a reply telling us the error is still there
  • Start putting folders back in the new The Sims 4-folder. Observe! After every file/folder, start the game and make sure it still works, before putting in the next one.
    • Options.ini - your game settings
    • Saves - your old saves. The sub-folders are not needed. If putting these back causes problem, try putting one back at a time.
    • Screenshots
    • Custom music - if you have any
    • Tray - your library objects; like lots, rooms and sims
    • Mods - your mods and cc, might cause problems when putting back

If putting back one of the folders was problematic and you did not work it out, please post a reply and we'll see if we can find what your problem is!

Source: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/backing-up-and-resetting-the-sims-4/

Good Luck! Standard smile

Message 2 of 9 (17,559 Views)

★★ Novice

A million thanks to you !!

I did as you asked, transferred a backup somewhere, and started to put in my files one at a time, of course beginning with my saves.
After I put them all I realized it was something with the mods actually o-o
And turns out, it was one simple tiny mod that decided to act up, good thing I wasn't even using it.
The game works fine now, thank you for the help ! 
-----
If anyone does have the issue, I suggest you do the same thing as asked...
For those who have lots of mods like I do (Which is part of the problem)
Put them back as chunks until you find it Standard smile 

THANK YOU Large smile Heart

Message 3 of 9 (17,234 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have done all that and it worked. Thanks. But when i add all my Custom Content, i open sims but origin just opens. Please Help.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 9 (16,027 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Then you need to find out what of that CC causes it. http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Finding_Problem_Custom_Content

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 5 of 9 (16,019 Views)

★ Novice
@J3LLYFISHE Do you mind telling me what Mod it was , I’m having the same issue .
Message 6 of 9 (12,617 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I just recently had this issue so I took the SIMS 4 folder out of the electronic arts folder and restarted the game, then I added my saved files back in and one bu one added folders of custom content and mods...turns out there was one bad custom content file and as soon as I removed it the game works great again.

Message 7 of 9 (12,570 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello, I'm not sure if you meant to transfer all the files in The Sims 4 folder. I transferred all of them to a different folder and started The Sims 4, but the same error occurred. 

Message 8 of 9 (11,386 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @DaSugaKookie_, I'm going to lock this thread as it is quite old.

If having an issue then please create a new thread with as much information as possible.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 9 of 9 (11,362 Views)