Can't interact with house

by escapedpolarbear

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't interact with house

★★★★★ Apprentice

I want to meet up with the Langeraks in Sims 3 (Sunset Valley), however, every time I attempt to click on their house to get the 'Visit Langerak household' or 'Visit Langerak Household With...', it simply says 'No Interactions Available'. It's always been a problem; shutting down and restarting will not help. I'm definitely clicking on the building. Please help!

Message 1 of 18 (3,793 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't interact with house

★★★★★ Apprentice

I THOUGHT OF SOMETHING, AND IT WORKED!

Basically, I teleported a sim to the Langeraks using testingcheats, and then 'buy on this lot'. I put the floors down, and when I returned to live mode, I could walk in as if it were my house

Thank you so so SO much for your help!!! Standard smile

View in thread

Message 17 of 18 (4,158 Views)

All Replies

@escapedpolarbear  It sounds like their house might have been left "open" by the game, meaning your sims are allowed access, as if they'd been greeted and invited inside.  Can you send one inside the house?  You might then form a group and choose to go somewhere else without having to officially "visit" the house again.

If you can't get inside the house either, quit and then delete the five cache files in your game folder in Documents.  For reference, they are:

CASPartCache.package

compositorCache.package

scriptCache.package

simCompositorCache.package

socialCache.package

If you still can't visit after reloading the game, you might need to evict the Langeraks and move them back in.  If you do this in one Edit Town session, without saving the family to the bin, they'll keep their jobs and relationships.  If this doesn't help either, try evicting them, saving their house alone to the bin, bulldozing the lot, replacing it with the bin copy, and moving them back in, again all in one Edit Town session.

By the way, if they don't have enough money to move back into their house (it happens), you can place them somewhere else temporarily (or quit without saving), and give them more money using the familyfunds cheat.  Open the cheat console (crtl-shift-c) and enter "familyfunds Langerak 10000" without quotes.  (Pick whatever number you want.)

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 18 (3,786 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Thanks! I've just deleted all the Cache files and restarting the game - hope it works!

Message 3 of 18 (3,771 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Oh dear... may need to evict them.

Message 4 of 18 (3,769 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Nothing seems to be working at the moment... the error has also spread to the Harts and the Bunchs...

Message 5 of 18 (3,749 Views)

@escapedpolarbear  Then perhaps the problem is with your own sims, not the townies.  To test it, you can go to Edit Town and switch households (no need to save; this is just for testing).  Try sending someone from the new house to visit a few of the problem houses.  If it works, the same principle of evicting and replacing sims in Edit Town can work on your active household, although you should be aware that your sims will lose their promised wishes and opportunities.

Hopefully, this alone will fix your save, but it sounds like you might have corruption on your hands.  Now would be a good time to make a couple of copies of your save files, just in case things get worse.  You can right-click directly on the save's folder in Saves to copy, and then right-click where you want to paste.

By the way, you don't use mods, do you?

Message 6 of 18 (3,742 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I realise that the Harts and Bunchs were already broken, but as I don't visit them often, I hadn't noticed.

I don't use mods or CC.

Just to make sure you understand, the problem is that I can't click the house, the orange 'No Interactions Available' text appears. Would this still work?

Thank you for helping so far!

Message 7 of 18 (3,731 Views)

[ Edited ]

@escapedpolarbear I definitely understand what you're describing.  The reason I asked about mods is that there's a very common reason why you'd get the "No interactions Available" text, and a couple of mods both make this more likely and easier to fix.  Speficially, if the game leaves the house "open"—i.e. your sims have been greeted and invited inside—you wouldn't be able to "visit" again.  That's why I asked if you could send your sims somewhere directly inside the house.  But if your sims can't access the premises, then something different is happening.

If I were in your position, I'd try clicking on the icon for every house in town and make a list of those with no interactions available.  Then I'd go to Edit Town and switch households, save as (with a different name so I didn't overwrite my original save), quit (without saving), delete the five cache files in my game folder, reload, and see if the sims I'm now using could visit any of the affected families.  This would tell me whether the problem was my original family, a few of the townie households, or some potentially more serious game corruption.

If you can't visit the affected homes even after switching to a new household, then you can evict those households, save their houses to the bin, bulldoze the lots, replace the houses with the bin copies, and move the families back in, all in one Edit Town session.  This should clear up the problem, unless you have more game corruption overall.

If the problem is your own sim family, the same process as above will work on them too, although again, they'll lose their promised wishes and opportunities.  (They'll keep their jobs and relationships as long as you don't replace the sims themselves with a bin copy.)

Again, it's always best to experiment on a copy of your save so that you have the original to revert to if something goes wrong.

Message 8 of 18 (3,727 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Thanks, just one thing before I get started... what do you mean by 'switch households'?

Message 9 of 18 (3,699 Views)

@escapedpolarbear  I mean that you'll start playing with another family within the same town, so you can test whether those sims can visit the neighbors.  Go to Edit Town, click on another household, and select "Switch to this household" from the options at the bottom of the popup.  You'll be asked if you want to save your progress; if you haven't already used "save as" to rename the save or otherwise made backups of your save, cancel the action and go back to your original house.  Then "save as" and go back to Edit Town to switch households.

Message 10 of 18 (3,697 Views)