Can't install store content due to possible launcher issue(?)

by tommmhhhh

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't install store content due to possible launcher issue(?)

★ Novice

So I purchased something on the Sims 3 Store two days ago. I tried to install it both from the site looking through my purchases and ingame opening the launcher. Now, it shows I'm logged in on my launcher but it tells me to login anyway, and when I do and enter my password correctly it won't work. I've tried logging out and logging back in when it asks me to but it still keeps asking even when I should have been logged in. 

I've talked to three EA support people about this and did exactly as they asked but nothing worked. One of them directed me to create a post/bug report here so here I am explaining what's up.  

I've already tried to Repair, Update and reboot PC a bunch of times and nothing's worked. Did the whole pulling the file thing onto my desktop stuff, plus more things. Also tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I still get the same. Removed all my CC and Mods, didn't do anything. I've followed the steps and tried on other browsers (Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome (main)) but the login popup still shows every time. Spent all day trying to fix this issue, whatever it is. 

The pop-up login message never has an error message after I enter the password, just it disappears for a second then reappears again asking me to enter my password again. I've tried resetting and changing my password, disabled antivirus/firewall. Then tried to uninstall and reinstall. 

Also, this might be a bit off topic but could be connected, anyway my launchers welcome screen should have the login, news and Sims 4 stuff right? But for me it's just blank, only blue and all that. The two problems might be connected but maybe not at all, thought I'd at least mention it so it's out there. It's honestly not such a big problem to me, I can live with it as long as I just get to install the content I bought and have a good time. I asked if the two were connected and the support person wasn't sure but could be. 

Sorry for everything being all over the place. Don't really know what order to put stuff in. I've tried to make everything as clear as I can.

Just to make it clear - I bought a store item, S3 launcher opens but won't download it because I need to login even though I already am logged in, get stuck in a loop. 

Message 1 of 3 (537 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't install store content due to possible launcher issue(?)

@tommmhhhh  I just downloaded a store item with no trouble, without being logged in.  So the store itself isn't down, although it's certainly possible that it was having issues earlier today.  I went to my purchase history and clicked the Download button on the first item llisted, and although it took a few seconds to think about it, the launcher did eventually download the item.

There are two separate issues here.  The first is the inability to login via the launcher combined with the fact that it's not loading the usual data.  This is normally fixed by clearing the cache for Internet Explorer.  Even if you never use it, the launcher does for some purposes.  It's also important to uncheck the box to preserve data for favorite sites.

https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=15141

A month or two ago, there was an issue with people not being able to login to the launcher if their passwords had a # symbol in them.  This was fixed, but just in case it's back, you could try changing your password to something that only includes letters and numbers, just long enough to test.

The inability to download your store content is a separate issue, and you don't need to be signed into the launcher if you're downloading via browser.  There are plenty of reasons store stuff might not download, including if your browser is blocking popups.  You might also try Firefox, which generally works better with the store than Chrome or Edge.

It's best to only download a few items at a time, or just one if it's a world or large set.  You can try downloading directly from the product page of an item rather than your purchase history as well.  And it often helps to have the launcher open before you click download.

If none of this helps, pull your entire TS3 game folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and try the above again.  Opening the launcher will create a clean game folder with no content.  Once the content is in Downloads inside your new game folder, you can move it into Downloads inside your old game folder, trash the new game folder, and put the old one back.  Then you should be able to install the new content into your old game folder.

Be sure to delete the five cache files inside your game folder as well.  They should be deleted any time you install (or remove) content from the folder, as well as whenever you're troubleshooting,  For reference, they are:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

If none of this helps, please describe what happens when you try, just as you have already.  (More details are always appreciated.)  There are a couple more workarounds that may be useful, depending on what part of the process doesn't work.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (515 Views)

All Replies

@tommmhhhh  I just downloaded a store item with no trouble, without being logged in.  So the store itself isn't down, although it's certainly possible that it was having issues earlier today.  I went to my purchase history and clicked the Download button on the first item llisted, and although it took a few seconds to think about it, the launcher did eventually download the item.

There are two separate issues here.  The first is the inability to login via the launcher combined with the fact that it's not loading the usual data.  This is normally fixed by clearing the cache for Internet Explorer.  Even if you never use it, the launcher does for some purposes.  It's also important to uncheck the box to preserve data for favorite sites.

https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=15141

A month or two ago, there was an issue with people not being able to login to the launcher if their passwords had a # symbol in them.  This was fixed, but just in case it's back, you could try changing your password to something that only includes letters and numbers, just long enough to test.

The inability to download your store content is a separate issue, and you don't need to be signed into the launcher if you're downloading via browser.  There are plenty of reasons store stuff might not download, including if your browser is blocking popups.  You might also try Firefox, which generally works better with the store than Chrome or Edge.

It's best to only download a few items at a time, or just one if it's a world or large set.  You can try downloading directly from the product page of an item rather than your purchase history as well.  And it often helps to have the launcher open before you click download.

If none of this helps, pull your entire TS3 game folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and try the above again.  Opening the launcher will create a clean game folder with no content.  Once the content is in Downloads inside your new game folder, you can move it into Downloads inside your old game folder, trash the new game folder, and put the old one back.  Then you should be able to install the new content into your old game folder.

Be sure to delete the five cache files inside your game folder as well.  They should be deleted any time you install (or remove) content from the folder, as well as whenever you're troubleshooting,  For reference, they are:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

If none of this helps, please describe what happens when you try, just as you have already.  (More details are always appreciated.)  There are a couple more workarounds that may be useful, depending on what part of the process doesn't work.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (516 Views)

★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict tried everything and I fixed it, thank you!
Message 3 of 3 (502 Views)