Can't install sims 4 on second drive

by renate574

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't install sims 4 on second drive

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I have tried moving the game through origin, and origin crashed, so had to re-install. I have changed the folder in application settings, and says it will install on my second drive. The only folder that shows up where it's supposed to install has the following folders: installer, data, delta, ep03, ep05, fp01 game, gp04, support. When i open the game it starts as normal, but going back out it has then saved to my documents folder in C drive. Why does it keep saving on my C drive? I've tried it with origin on both the C and E drive. When I delete sims in settings it only deletes the folder in E drive, not the one where all the saves and other data actually are.

Message 1 of 3 (1,930 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't install sims 4 on second drive

@renate574  There are two Sims 4 folders in any normal install.  One contains the game's program files, normally installed into the Program Files (x86) folder on C, although you can move it to another drive, as you did.  The other folder contains the user data, as in anything you've created in-game, or any content you've downloaded: mods, custom content, stuff from the Gallery.  This folder is located in Documents\Electronic Arts, and if the game doesn't find a Sims 4 folder there, it will create a new one.

In order to move this folder, you'll need to either redirect Documents to your second drive, or create a symbolic link to a folder on the second drive.  If your E drive is external, you should not move Documents there—Windows will not react well if the drive is ever unplugged—and should instead use a symbolic link to point the game to the folder on the external drive.  If E is internal, it's best to move all of Documents there unless you have other reasons to keep it on C.  A symbolic link will still work though.

Here's how to redirect Documents to another drive:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/74952-move-location-documents-folder-windows-10-a.html

And here's how to create a symbolic link:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2020/02/moving-windows-documents-folder-to-external-drive-via-symbolic-lin...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (1,905 Views)

All Replies

@renate574  There are two Sims 4 folders in any normal install.  One contains the game's program files, normally installed into the Program Files (x86) folder on C, although you can move it to another drive, as you did.  The other folder contains the user data, as in anything you've created in-game, or any content you've downloaded: mods, custom content, stuff from the Gallery.  This folder is located in Documents\Electronic Arts, and if the game doesn't find a Sims 4 folder there, it will create a new one.

In order to move this folder, you'll need to either redirect Documents to your second drive, or create a symbolic link to a folder on the second drive.  If your E drive is external, you should not move Documents there—Windows will not react well if the drive is ever unplugged—and should instead use a symbolic link to point the game to the folder on the external drive.  If E is internal, it's best to move all of Documents there unless you have other reasons to keep it on C.  A symbolic link will still work though.

Here's how to redirect Documents to another drive:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/74952-move-location-documents-folder-windows-10-a.html

And here's how to create a symbolic link:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2020/02/moving-windows-documents-folder-to-external-drive-via-symbolic-lin...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (1,906 Views)

★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you so much. I was about to go insane, that damn folder kept popping up, felt like it was mocking me. Finally! I can now use mods and cc without killing my c drive.
Message 3 of 3 (1,869 Views)