Re: Can't install CC (customized content) from launcher

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Can't install CC (customized content) from launcher

★★★★ Novice

Well, I'm having a trouble with the 'The Sims 3' Launcher.

I just bought the game with all the expansions and stuff packs online, and it works just fine. The thing is that I cannot install any customized content (cc) into the game. Everything I get appears in the downloads list, but none of them can be put in the game.

Even the stuff from the Store/Exchange doesen't go.

When I click in the "install" button, nothing happens - another page just appear and then disappear within seconds.

Please, someone can help me with it? It's really frustrating because I'd really like to have all that content in my game.

Notes: I use an PC and I have had the games previously in CD (years ago), but then the downloads worked just fine.

Message 1 of 8 (931 Views)

@jubita30  You probably already know this, but just in case: only Sims3packs can be installed via the launcher.  Any .package file needs to be added to your mods folder (which you'll have to create yourself if you need it).  And of course any compressed file needs to be unzipped before you do anything else.

Sometimes you can get a corrupt file in your game folder, and it can be difficult to find the source of the trouble.  So the easiest thing to do is to install the cc into a clean folder and then move your saves and other content into that folder from the old one.  Pull your entire TS3 game folder out of Documents and onto your desktop, then open the launcher to spawn a clean folder.  Move the Sims3packs from Downloads inside the old folder to Downloads inside the new folder, then try to install just one of them.  If it works, you can install the rest and start a new save to make sure the cc is there.

If this doesn't work, perhaps the downloads were corrupted.  Try clearing your browser cache, or using a different browser.  The store in particular doesn't work well with Chrome.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 8 (924 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I tried to do that (the downloads folder thing) but it didn't work, the same thing that happened before repeated.

Anyway, what other browser would you recommend? And if that doesen't help, do you know about anything else I could try?

Thanks for helping me, btw
Message 3 of 8 (914 Views)
Highlighted

@jubita30  I use Firefox, and it works fine for me.  I don't know where else you're downloading cc, but the Exchange, and really the whole Sims 3 Store, can make things more difficult than they have to be.  It usually works better if you download only one item at a time, or a few small ones at most.  (You can start the next download when the previous one finishes.)

If you can't install into a clean folder, it often means that the download has been corrupted somehow.  But it could also be the case that you have a mismatch between the content in the download and what's installed on your computer.  For example, you wouldn't be able to properly install a pet if you didn't own the Pets expansion.  But this also applies to patch levels, as in, if the download and your own game have mismatched patches, the pack might not install correctly.  What kind of digital download do you have?  The patch you land on will depend on the source of the game.

You should also make sure that your antivirus/firewall isn't blocking the site(s) or your downloads.  You can set an exception just for the Sims 3 Store and Exchange to test, and if you can now install your downloads, you'll know that was the problem.

Message 4 of 8 (905 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I tried a few times to install minor cc from the exchange, using your method, but I still can't download any Sims3Pack. with the launcher.
It may be a problem with the browser (?) since you said that Chrome isn't really the best for this type of download (I also tried Mozilla, but the browser doesen't work on my PC at all).

Anyway, I really don't know what to do now. Should I restart all my computer system?
Should I uninstall ans reinstall my TS3?
Or maybe I should just let it go?

Remembering that I have ALL the expansions and stuff packs, and I bought them online by a site called "Mercado Livre" (I'm brazilian btw, and that site is like Aliexpress or even Ebay, at some point). The game itself works just fine, although its download was made online (They just send a link to you, not the games in the boxes by mail).
Do you think that this fact can make a difference? Idk, I'm so confused.
Message 5 of 8 (876 Views)

@jubita30  The newest version of Mozilla Firefox may not work with older operating systems, but there's a variant called Waterfox you might use instead.  I know it works on Windows 7, at least.  Or you could try Internet Explorer; that's what the store was designed to use.  If you have any version of Windows, Explorer will be in there somewhere.

But it's also possible that your antivirus/firewall is interfering.  If you're not sure whether setting an exception for the store helps, you can try temporarily disabling it, just long enough to see whether one download will work.

Reinstalling the game won't change anything, as it only alters the program files.  Custom content resides in the game folder in Documents and is completely separate.  Any time there's something wrong with your game folder, you can always spawn a new one, and whatever corruption was in the old one will be out of the picture.

As to whether the source of your game is the real problem, it's possible.  Did you download the game files themselves online, or did you receive a code to use in Origin?  If your download is from another source, it's probably not patched and may be incompatible with Exchange files, as well as mods and custom content from other sources.  But if you downloaded through Origin, then there's no reason that the source of your codes would have anything to do with the issue.

Message 6 of 8 (873 Views)

★★★ Novice

ok.. I'm having this same issue.. EA help said the sims 3 discontinued to support CC.. (even from sims 3 store).. what I do??

Message 7 of 8 (692 Views)

@mrgothicfinn  The store is still supported, no matter what EA support says.  Custom content is different: it's third-party content, not produced or endorsed by EA, and it's never been supported, although the process to install it is.

If you describe your issue in more detail, I'll try to help.  Please let me know what steps, if any, you've taken to troubleshoot as well, so I don't make any suggestions that you've already tried.

Message 8 of 8 (665 Views)