Re: Can't download from Sims 3 Store

by Tamamobae

Original Post

Can't download from Sims 3 Store

★★★★ Novice

Hello, I just purchased this one thing from the Sims 3 Store and for some reason I can't download it! Every time I try to download it, it prompts me to sign in on the Sims 3 launcher. However, when I sign in, the box just closes and then reopens, prompting me to sign in again! Hitting cancel doesn't help either, because then it just doesn't do anything. It seems like I need to sign in if I want to download my content? I tried contacting EA help about this, but they were of no help whatsoever. They just told me to wait for it to "sync", I've waited a good half hour or so and nothing, I don't think they really knew what they were doing. I suspect they didn't even really speak English, either. Please help!

Message 1 of 9 (864 Views)

@roseredpinball  It's not usually necessary to sign into the launcher in order to install store content.  Did you buy the content with the same account as the one you used to install the game?  If not, that might be the problem.

Otherwise, please clear the cache for Internet Explorer.  Even if you never use it, the launcher does for some purposes.  Be sure to uncheck the box to preserve data for favorite sites.

https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=15141

If that doesn't help, open Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads and delete the file labeled [your email].bin; open the launcher, which should regenerate the file; then try to download the item again.

If that doesn't help either, try changing your password to something with only letters and numbers, no special characters, accents, etc.  Then repeat the above.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 9 (854 Views)

★★★★ Novice

You're right, usually it's not necessary but for some reason this time it is. I tried clearing the cache like you suggested, I'm logged in on the same account I used to buy the content, and I also tried deleting my email.bin from the Downloads folder. I also tried requesting a new password via forgot password but that was over an hour ago and I still haven't received any email from EA. I checked my spam folder as well. *sigh* I don't know what else I can possibly do, I wasn't having this problem a few days ago! Thanks anyway for your help, sorry.

Message 3 of 9 (851 Views)

@roseredpinball  You can try downloading into a new Sims 3 user folder: move the existing one out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and open the launcher to spawn a new one.  Your saves and other content will be intact in the folder you moved but temporarily not read by the game.

Sometimes EA security emails can be delayed , perhaps during high traffic times or when one of the servers isn't working.  So you could try requesting another password reset email in a couple hours.  Or contact EA customer support for help, although that's a lot of effort just to change your password.

By the way, do you use two-factor authentication on your EA account?  I've heard it sometimes causes this kind of problem, although I've never had the same issue myself and have had 2fa for a while now.

Message 4 of 9 (847 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I'm afraid I don't know what two-factor authorization is, sorry. I do run administrator when running Sims 3, otherwise it seems to not run properly. Thanks again for the advice.

Message 5 of 9 (843 Views)

@roseredpinball  Two-factor authentication requires you to enter a verification code when signing in on a new device; you'd receive that code through email or text.  If you don't know what it is, you probably don't use it.

If you have to run Sims 3 as an admin, maybe the issue is your antivirus program.  Try setting exceptions for TS3.exe, Sims3Launcher.exe, and Origin.exe, as well as whitelisting the Sims 3 Store site.  It's possible your antivirus updated recently and is now blocking something it didn't use to.

Message 6 of 9 (841 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same problem. I have not been able to download anything since 1/20/21. It keeps asking for password.

Message 7 of 9 (756 Views)

@blkbutterfli  Where are you asked for a password?  Does your computer run Windows or macOS, and do you have two-factor authentication enabled?

Message 8 of 9 (753 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Getting the same issue, I can't download anything as I get the login loop when I try.

I am on Windows 10, I tried the other solutions and nothing changed.

I was once able to download everything just fine mid 2020, so this is a recent issue.

EDIT: Reinstalling Internet Explorer completely and clearing everything including SSL certificates fixes it.

Message 9 of 9 (647 Views)