Re: Can’t Click Sims

by GoldenFam2020

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@crinrict wrote:
@GoldenFam2020Yes, you might need to play in windowed mode. Have task manager open next to it, then click on a Sim and see what happens.

my cpu is between 17-22% memory is at 83-85% and gpu is 64%

Message 11 of 17 (419 Views)

Hero
@GoldenFam2020 How much RAM is that in absolute numbers ?

Really odd, doesn't sound like too much.

Maybe someone else has an idea what's happening.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 12 of 17 (407 Views)

[ Edited ]

@GoldenFam2020  I've seen this issue happen sometimes when a player's computer is overheating.  I'm not saying that's what's happening to you, but it's worth checking for overall issues with your system performance. Download hwinfo from here:

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

You don't need to install anything if you don't want to; just choose the Portable version, unzip it, and you'll be able to launch it from Downloads or wherever you want.  (If you would like to install, be sure to click the green button, not the orange one.)

Move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  Launch the game to create a clean folder, don't add anything to it, spend a couple minutes creating a new save for testing purposes, and quit.  I know you've already tried a factory reset, but it's best to use a completely clean folder for this particular test.

Now do a clean boot, as described earlier.  When your computer restarts, go through the Task Manager's background tasks and shut down anything that isn't critical.  For example, the Nvidia software is critical; Asus software is not, nor is MSI Afterburner or any other game-performance app.

Launch hwinfo, choose "sensors only," and click the icon that's a sheet of paper with a + sign to start logging.  Save the file to your desktop for easy access later.

Wait five minutes, then launch Sims 4 and play for at least 20 minutes; don't open any other apps while playing.  Click the same button to end logging.  Then upload the log to a third-party free filehosting site and link it here.  Please leave it in .csv format, or if you use OneDrive to share, please compress it in .zip format instead.

Please also let me know whether you see the same problem, and if so, whether it's any better, e.g. whether the pie menu does show up after some delay.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 13 of 17 (391 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict wrote:

@GoldenFam2020  I've seen this issue happen sometimes when a player's computer is overheating.  I'm not saying that's what's happening to you, but it's worth checking for overall issues with your system performance. Download hwinfo from here:

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

You don't need to install anything if you don't want to; just choose the Portable version, unzip it, and you'll be able to launch it from Downloads or wherever you want.  (If you would like to install, be sure to click the green button, not the orange one.)

Move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  Launch the game to create a clean folder, don't add anything to it, spend a couple minutes creating a new save for testing purposes, and quit.  I know you've already tried a factory reset, but it's best to use a completely clean folder for this particular test.

Now do a clean boot, as described earlier.  When your computer restarts, go through the Task Manager's background tasks and shut down anything that isn't critical.  For example, the Nvidia software is critical; Asus software is not, nor is MSI Afterburner or any other game-performance app.

Launch hwinfo, choose "sensors only," and click the icon that's a sheet of paper with a + sign to start logging.  Save the file to your desktop for easy access later.

Wait five minutes, then launch Sims 4 and play for at least 20 minutes; don't open any other apps while playing.  Click the same button to end logging.  Then upload the log to a third-party free filehosting site and link it here.  Please leave it in .csv format, or if you use OneDrive to share, please compress it in .zip format instead.

Please also let me know whether you see the same problem, and if so, whether it's any better, e.g. whether the pie menu does show up after some delay.

thank you so so much!! i been going crazy trying to figure out what was happening doing the entire folder refresh worked now just slowly gonna add my saves and stuff back, i wonder why that happened would that program u said download be able to tell me?

Message 14 of 17 (360 Views)

@GoldenFam2020  I'm not sure why the clean folder worked this time and not last time, but it's good to hear.  And no, hwinfo probably wouldn't be able to tell you why this issue happened.  The program doesn't have anything to do with user data, so there are only a very narrow set of circumstances where it would pick up an issue that would also be solved with a clean folder.

Message 15 of 17 (341 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict wrote:

@GoldenFam2020  I'm not sure why the clean folder worked this time and not last time, but it's good to hear.  And no, hwinfo probably wouldn't be able to tell you why this issue happened.  The program doesn't have anything to do with user data, so there are only a very narrow set of circumstances where it would pick up an issue that would also be solved with a clean folder.

i’m thinking it has something to do with space on the computer cause when I started adding things back to the game it happened again and when I removed it was fine, and i’m guessing because last time I did files refresh and not the whole entire folder i’m guessing overall i’m just gonna have to get a bigger size ssd but it’s good to know what the problem could be at least. 

Message 16 of 17 (316 Views)

@GoldenFam2020  From your dxdiag, your SSD still has enough space on it, although only barely.  So you might want to get an external hard drive for storage, but I'm not sure that the relatively low amount of free space is causing your issue, at least not directly.  Still, you could offload more data to an external device and see what happens.

It is of course also possible that the problem is not how much content you're adding, but what: either some broken cc or a bad mod, or two or more items that conflict with each other.  Often enough trial and error is the only way to find out.

Message 17 of 17 (274 Views)