Can I prevent Origin from trying to install Sims 3?

by dhampy

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can I prevent Origin from trying to install Sims 3?

★ Novice

I have Sims 3 on Steam.  It's modded to heck.  I am not going to try to rebuild it to play on Origin, especially since it seems like just about everyone can't get all their Steam-purchased DLC to be recognized.

But every time I start Origin, it tries to download Sims 3.  I never ask it to, it just starts doing it anyway, and I cancel it every time.  I didn't even buy Sims 3 on Origin, it just appeared there.

How do I stop it from downloading a game I don't want to play on Origin?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5 (512 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can I prevent Origin from trying to install Sims 3?

@dhampy  Yeah, if you bought JFO on Steam, your two accounts are definitely linked now.  Origin has also had some significant updates recently, which might account for new behavior.  Does disabling auto updates in Origin help?

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (477 Views)

All Replies

@dhampy  Did you happen to link your Steam and Origin accounts?  I have both Steam and Origin installed, along with a Steam-based Sims 3 install that happens to be registered in Origin (but I've never downloaded the Origin version on this computer).  I opened Origin a couple days ago, and it didn't try to download or patch Sims 3.  So it would be strange for Origin to suddenly be interfering, unless of course it can now "read" your Steam game library and detect installed games.

I'm asking in part because I absolutely don't want to link my own accounts, so I'm looking for more information from people who do have issues like this.  If you can think of anything you did in Steam or Origin recently that might explain this new behavior, even if you're just guessing, it would be much appreciated.

For Origin itself, try disabling automatic game updates.  Hover over your username, select Application Settings, and under Application (the first header), scroll down to Client update and disable auto game updates.

Message 2 of 5 (489 Views)

★ Novice

I don't remember intentionally linking them, but they must be since I bought Jedi Fallen Order on Steam and it plays through Origin.  That could be the problem.  I don't remember when the issue started, since I play games on Origin so seldom.

Message 3 of 5 (482 Views)

@dhampy  Yeah, if you bought JFO on Steam, your two accounts are definitely linked now.  Origin has also had some significant updates recently, which might account for new behavior.  Does disabling auto updates in Origin help?

Message 4 of 5 (478 Views)

★ Novice

I thought I had them disabled, but they were enabled.  An update might have re-enabled them, or when I cleared the Origin cache to get SW Battlefront 2 to run right again that lost the setting.

It seems to have solved the problem.

Solutions are always obvious once they're found.

Message 5 of 5 (466 Views)