black squares and question marks over my sims body?

by Spiritjammer14

Original Post

[CURRENT ISSUE] Several Issues after incomplete Installation

[ Edited ]
Hero

Update

If you are on a Mac, please use this thread: 'Game Data Incomplete' and Grey Llama Thumbnails Replace Lots

Steps there are a bit different as the repair on Mac currently only repairs the base game.

Symptoms of this issue

1. Invisible Sims in CAS
  2. Night sky showing up in CAS.
  3. Sims with question marks
  4. Missing world textures
  5. Base Game Worlds missing
  6. Roof and Floor patterns missing (Question Marks)
  7. Traveling to lots boots back to map/crashes (no Error Code)
  8. Multiple W on loading screen
  9. Llama Icons  on loading screen

This seems to be a rather common issue and seems to affect cc and not cc although it does seem only to occur on games that had cc in at one point.

QuestionMarks-300x158.png 

Nightsky.png

InvisibleSims.png

World.jpg

Suggestions how to solve this

• Check if all your CC is still compatible with the game
  • Repair the game through EA app
  • Delete the following file (it will recreate, it's a cache file): documents\electronic arts\the sims 4\localthumbcache.package
  • Reset your game to factory settings
  • Reinstall your game
  • Reinstall Ea app, then repair again
  • Delete Ea app cache files, then repair the game again
  • If you are using a certain adult mod that comes with adult skins/textures you need to turn off laptop mode and turn on uncompressed Sim Textures in your graphics options, This might also be true for certain cc skins.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 18 of 1,472 (90,375 Views)

Question marks and colourful patterned sims

★★ Newbie
Spoiler

Hello,

I am really confused as to why my saved sims now have coloured patterns on their skin and question marks. Even when I try to create a new sim the same issue occurs. Also there are question marks everywhere as you can see in the screenshot attached. 

Hope you can help 

Message 1 of 1,472 (90,275 Views)

Re: Question marks and colourful patterned sims

Hero (Retired)
@SarahLeanne93

It is CC related error
Move the mods folder to the desktop.
Delete localthumbcache.package file in the game - important!
Fix the game in Origin.
Origin/Library - right click on TS4 - option "Repair game"
You have to wait until Origin will fix all packs, not only the base game.
Turn on the game to create a new, empty mods folder and check if a game is working now without mods and CC.
Check if there are new updated versions of the mods and CC you are using.
Then copy from desktop your mods and CC and paste it in the new mods folder. First, paste script mods one by one every time checking if the game is OK. Do the same with CC but if you have a lot of this, try the 50/50 method. ( divide your CC into smaller batches for example 50 pieces in one subfolder and check these subfolders one by one)
You need to find a culprit and either remove it or replace it with an updated version

I don't work for EA
Message 2 of 1,472 (90,262 Views)

Question Marks all over Sim

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I have the same problem I’m only playing this household, my legacy family no mods used no CC haven’t played for a while just installed realm of magic so I assume this has caused the issue

Message 3 of 1,472 (90,472 Views)

Re: Game Glitch??

★ Novice

I am having the same problem. I updated my game yesterday after not playing for a couple of weeks, and suddenly my CAS has gone haywire. I have no CAS CC, but some CAS clothes/makeup/hairs are causing the checkered question marks to appear. Also if my sim sunbathes, instead of the usual tan, my sim turns completely black. The only thing that makes sense for me is the last update. I had played several times since uploading realm of magic, so I know that hasn't caused it.

Message 4 of 1,472 (90,441 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@sbeno22 I would think that's caused by missing textures. If you don't have ANY mods at all, then the only option would be to repair or re-install the game.
Message 5 of 1,472 (90,418 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@crinrict I'm not having the furniture glitch, so far, to my knowledge, but I am having the Sims skin glitch.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/GCbaZcj.jpg[/img]
Message 6 of 1,472 (90,361 Views)

Community Manager

@vickybradfor 

I moved your response and replies from this post to a new one to avoid necroposting. Be sure to look for posts that are more recent or create a new post going forward. Because of game updates some bugs or workarounds in older posts may not always work and the original poster has likely moved on.

• Don't "necropost." Reviving, updating or bumping old, outdated and irrelevant threads is not helpful for our community. It's best to check when the thread was created before you hit post, just to make sure it's not 2 years old for example.

AHQ Rules & Guidelines

Blueberry.png
Message 7 of 1,472 (90,325 Views)
Highlighted

black squares and question marks over my sims body?

★★ Novice

Ever since the new update my sims have black squares and question marks all over them. i went onto cas to cheek it out and it's on every sim i have, even my saved games. it's only on the sims body not their hair or clothes, but when i have hair on the eyes and part of the hair goes red.

I have never had any cc or mods and have a few packs. i've tried turning my computer on and off and that didn't work. i keep trying to un-install it but it won't let me. it also won't let me 'fix game'.

Message 8 of 1,472 (82,271 Views)

Re: black squares and question marks over my sims body?

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Spiritjammer14 

Please try rolling back to a previous save to see if the issue is removed then (A save from before the issue appeared.) Directions: https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2014/09/save-games/

If the issue remains, please try the following:

• Exit your game and Origin.
  • Move your 'The Sims 4' folder ( Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 ) to your desktop. Save this "The Sims 4" folder for reference.
  • Then start the game, and a new 'The Sims 4' folder will be created by the game.
  • Exit your game and Origin.
  • Now re-add a copy of the 'options.ini', 'screenshots' folder, 'saves' folder, and 'tray' folder from the "The Sims 4" folder on your desktop into your new "The Sims 4" folder ( Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 ). Replace/overwrite the newly generated files/ folders with the old files/folders from the desktop "The Sims 4" folder. 

After this see if the you are able to repair the game in Origin now. If the option is there, please run the game repair. [ Open Origin, click 'Game Library' then right-click Sims 4 > Repair Game ]. Make sure to let it run until it has completed all repairs (it will do the base-game first, then run through each of your expansions/packs). 

If none of this works you could try setting your game graphics to ultra and see if this makes a difference. (In your game, go to  Main Menu > Options Menu > Game Options > Graphics > Display > Graphics... and in the drop-down selector choose "Ultra".)

Let us know how it goes! Thanks!

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 9 of 1,472 (82,223 Views)