Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

[CURRENT ISSUE] Incredibly Low FPS when connected to Internet

by Rujubee123

Original Post

Re: [CURRENT ISSUE] Incredibly Low FPS when connected to Internet

@Weskeress  What events are triggering the fps drop?  The game itself does get overloaded at times, on any hardware, and there's not much to be done from the user end.  For example, when NAP voting closes, buffs have to be applied to or removed from all sims in each neighborhood that gained or lost an action plan, and the game engine sort of grinds to a halt as it's doing this processing.

It would be interesting though to see whether your framerates fluctuated as much in a new save, just for comparison.  If you have time to test, please let me know what you see.

It would also be helpful to have a dxdiag to associate with your report.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 181 of 195 (475 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Events such as lights flickering with Paranormal pack drops down to 30 frames from 144. Also frames drop when Sims mood changes and their image changes. When gnomes appear. I may turn off the voting, I don't use it. 

I don't feel comfortable sharing dxdiag info. May I PM?

Message 182 of 195 (473 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Weskeress  Sure, you can upload your dxdiag somewhere and send me a link.  If you don't mind, I'll send it on (again privately) to the EA people who I reported this issue to; let me know if that's not okay.

I haven't tested the new pack yet, but I'll be sure to check whether the lights flickering or other new features cause the same fps drop on my computer.  I can see how it would, although it would be nice if the game were programmed to handle that kind of thing more smoothly.

I'm guessing this particular manifestation is independent of whether you have an internet connection, but again, if you have time to test, please let me know.

Message 183 of 195 (471 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I'd like to say I have fixed my low frames when panning in and out/rotating. It was nothing to do with being connected to the internet for me. It was the games level of detail settings in GraphicsRules that was causing frame drops during screen movement. I played for 2 hours with minimal drop. I had the occasional drop which needs to be fixed with Paranormal lights flickering etc but I'm sure EA will eventually resolve this in a update.

Message 184 of 195 (430 Views)

@Weskeress  Could you post the section of graphicsrules you changed with the edits you made?  I'm guessing some of the other people in this thread would want to try the same thing.  And it's also useful info in general.

Message 185 of 195 (422 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Yes of course! Apologies, I wasn't sure whether I could post GraphicsRule changes here.

1. Locate the GraphicsRules file which is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin (Or elsewhere depending where your game is installed)

2. Right click and open with Notepad

3. Locate the following rules (Ctrl+F) and change to the numbers exactly as below:

prop $ConfigGroup NormalMapDistanceDropScale -3.0 (If -3.0 doesn't work you could try -2.0 or 0.0 instead)

prop $ConfigGroup ObjectLODBias "0.0"
prop $ConfigGroup RenderSimLODDistances "1000, 1000, 1000, 1000"
prop $ConfigGroup RenderSimTextureSizes "2048, 2048, 2048, 2048"

4. Click save and then right click GraphicsRules and set it to 'read only' to prevent future updates removing the edited rules (This is optional, you can always make a backup of this edited file and re-add if you prefer)

Just to note, all of these options for me were under setting $High and $VeryHigh depending on your in game graphics settings. You could try doing the same for $Low and $Medium settings which should have the same effect but as I don't use those settings I haven't tested it. I also have uncompressed sim textures enabled.

I hope that makes sense to everyone and I hope it helps at least a little bit. It definitely did for me and I am so happy I can finally play without that rotation lag.

Message 186 of 195 (417 Views)

@Weskeress  That's very helpful, thanks.  I've passed around the info so others will be aware, and I'll link this post if and when I see someone else with the same problem.

It's fine to post the edits you've made and even sections of the contents of graphicsrules here.  The only problem would be if you uploaded the file itself, since it's technically a program file.  But describing how to edit it is perfectly reasonable.

In case you're not aware, a game update or an Origin repair will revert graphicsrules to its default text.  So rather than having to reapply the edits after each patch, you may want to place a copy of your edited file in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\ConfigOverride.  The .sgr file(s) in this folder will override the one(s) in program files and won't be replaced after a patch.

Message 187 of 195 (391 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Ok thanks for the tip!

Message 188 of 195 (381 Views)

★ Guide
@Weskeress This does not work for me, unfortunately.
Message 189 of 195 (285 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I'm sorry to hear that.

Did you change the settings as per the graphics settings you have in game?

Message 190 of 195 (279 Views)
Twitter Stream