Re: Low FPS when connected to Internet

by AlfieSkytower

Original Post

Re: Hey guys, Sims 4 has started to lag really bad and I can't figure out why.

Hero

HI @NihgCharthaigh 

did you turn off your network completely or just put Sims in offline mode ?

Could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

You can attach the txt file to your post directly.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 41 of 213 (2,212 Views)

★★★★ Novice

just wondering if you have figured out a fix to this, trying to fix it for the last 2 weeks

Message 42 of 213 (2,252 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@AlfieSkytower   Try disabling steamwebhelper.exe from running when you don't use it. You'll have to search Steam on how to configure it. I don't think you need it. Seems to be a fps killer.

Message 43 of 213 (2,244 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@roberta591 Hey, im having the same issue this did not resolve the problem

Message 44 of 213 (2,208 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Fizzyvimto21 Still having the issue and been looking on and off for a fix for a some months now. I'm guessing it's some strange interaction between Windows 10, Nvidia, and some game's background process.

@roberta591Disabling the program and steam all together has no effect. 

Message 45 of 213 (2,206 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@AlfieSkytower Its a pain, i have a feeling it has something to do with the anti-piracy, reason being is i think it is a constant connection. That is being encroached by windows 10 some how. I have disabled every program to no avail. I am currently in talks with ea customer services to come to a solution they are patching me through to a "technitian" who may be able to help. I don't think it is driver related. As i have reinstalled these, i have done a Full DNS flush as well. It is defiantly a connection issue. But that is as far as i can think. To be honest i've lost most will to play the game itself i find trying to fix this issue more enjoyable than the game! 

PS i have also contacted and supplied data files to the sims QA team. Still awaiting any form of contact back from them from 2 weeks ago.

Message 46 of 213 (2,195 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@Fizzyvimto21  There are many things that can cause low fps. The DRM for this game has always been Origin. Origin is a Steam like system where you activate your games. It could be Origin is downloading an update. Windows update is a system resource hog which could (and does) affect the video system. Is your computer a pc (not mac)? If a pc please post your computer's dxdiag how to post your computer's dxdiag and attach the txt file to the paper clip in the lower right of the response window. These are forums for users by users and don't have direct access to EA technicians.

Message 47 of 213 (2,191 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@AlfieSkytower Looking over your dxdiag I see you have a 240Gb ssb for a system drive. Have you tried a larger system drive? Some games create large temp files along with the operating system creating temp files. The price of ssds is really coming down so higher capacities are cheaper now. If your looking to save some money buy 2 1Tb drives and install them in a raid. This will give you 2Tb of storage with an increase in performance. Did you install the game to the data drive? There is a point where performance is affected with a small system device due to limited resources. Example - when Windows is installed the page file is created based on the size of the system drive. Therefore the size of the page file for a 240Gb ssd is going to be different then a 1Tb drive. As free space decreases on the system device performance could be affected and increasing the size of the page file may not help the issue and could actually may make it worse. There are other reasons that could affect performance. System resources are finite. 3D games use a computer hard and TS4 is no different. While a 240Gb system drive may work very well in a student/business computer I would not recommend one for a gaming rig. An example of common issues is say you download a large file (movie say). If the movie is 90Gb a temp file is created on the system device until the download is complete. The file is then copied (not moved) to the target destination. At this point you have consumed 180Gb of storage on the system device. The original temp file may or may not get deleted after the copy (if it gets deleted at all). This would exhaust the resources of 144Gb free space. Again if the game runs with out issues on a larger system device Then the issue is resolved. Another thing you may check is the PSU. The GTX 1080 Ti requires 21A on the 12V rail. All power supplies are not created equal. This should be checked.

Message 48 of 213 (2,184 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@roberta591 Hit and a miss. You raise some strange points. My games run perfectly fine hitting around 60FPS lets not forget TS4 has a "laptop mode" and this still happens on the lowest settings. It's clear to see that the issue is due to a connection to the internet, a referal to check my PSU and not having a 2tb SSD is something i would expect from the indian customer service support from their scripts. Just for a reference here is an extract from one of my recent chats with them. 

Prashant Apr 30, 2019 08:07:56 AM
and To disable SLI right-click your desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel. Expand the 3D Settings section and click Set SLI Configuration. Make sure that Do Not Use SLI Technology is selected in the right frame. Click apply and close the Control Panel.
Prashant Apr 30, 2019 08:08:18 AM
I wish you all the best.

at this point the case file i had open was switched to resolved by the customer service advisor. Yeah thats right, i don't even have 2 GFX cards, and i had already sent them a DXDIAG along with a MSINFO .txt.

By the sounds of it a handful of people are having this issue with no knowledge as to why, i understand people are trying to find out what the issue is but telling people that:
"The original temp file may or may not get deleted after the copy (if it gets deleted at all). This would exhaust the resources of 144Gb free space." makes no sense at all, along with "The GTX 1080 Ti requires 21A on the 12V rail. All power supplies are not created equal. This should be checked." makes no sense because every other game works fine, even ea games. 

To conclude i still don't know what the issue is, and with the level of support received by EA customer services i don't think i will pursue this any futher. 

Please dont get me wrong, im happy you are trying to help however when the EA QA team can not replicate the issue it makes it hard to fix. However the issue is 100% only this game and does not affect any other of the 400+ games i have on my pc. Thank you for trying.
Message 49 of 213 (2,148 Views)
Highlighted

★ Apprentice

@roberta591  Thanks for the insight but the SSD has >130 GB worth of free space with TS4 (and Dragons Dogma) running, so it's not the amount of space, and it seems a little odd to me for the problem to be caused by it accessing data on the drive as (as @Fizzyvimto21 has said) the majority of other games work perfectly - FFXIV, Neverwinter Nights, Pillars of Eternity, Heroes of the Storm, Total War: Warhammer, etc. to name a few - each one with varying amounts of resource requirement that surpass what TS4 needs and uses.

My Graphics card is installed and powered correctly.

There are a couple of other threads I've found regarding the same issue but for Dragon's Dogma rather than TS4:

Steam Discussion #1

Steam Discussion #2

Unfortunately the only workaround that's actually worked is to disable the internet connection.

If you get any other ideas please do suggest them. Standard smile

Some of my old googling strongly suggested that these sorts of issues started with an old Creator's Update for W10.

As @Fizzyvimto21 also said, it has sucked the fun out of the game(s); there's no way to play and enjoy the online content and functionality at the same time, and I've given up trying to play them until it's resolved, sadly.

One possible 'solution' for you Fizzy may be to uninstall the Windows 10 Creators Update that seems to have caused this issue, but that's not an option for me as my PC's W10 installation was done long after the update went live. It might be same case for you unfortunately as the update was back in 2017 I think. Alternatively a fresh installation of W10 might be viable, though it's a lot of hassle to go through just to try and repair one or two games that really shouldn't have this problem. We might have to natter on about this at Nvidia's support and possibly Microsoft's.

Message 50 of 213 (2,138 Views)