Original Post

Re: [CURRENT ISSUE] Incredibly Low FPS when connected to Internet

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Deleted.

Message 191 of 213 (3,332 Views)

★★ Guide

That's ok. I comfort myself with the fact I'm not the only one experiencing this. The thing that baffles me, is that it's been around for some while now, but it's clearly not an easy fix. Or I'd reckon there would have been a fix from EA.

Message 192 of 213 (3,305 Views)

EA Sims Team

Hello @JeanVW 

The team has not been able to reproduce this issue thus far.  It will be difficult to fix unless we're able to see the issue ourselves, unfortunately.

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 193 of 213 (3,301 Views)

★★ Novice

I ran into this exact issue recently. Sims 4 would run just fine without internet connection, but would drop to ridiculously low frames when connected. After some googling, I found a steam thread (sorry I couldn't find it again to link) that had several linked solutions, but the first solution was to increase adjust the Windows Temporary Internet Files settings. In my case, the Temporary Internet Files location was blank and I couldn't change it in the interface. Once I corrected the location, Sims 4 now runs like it used to. Here's the steps I took:

***WARNING: This solution requires modifying the registry. Do not perform those steps if you are unfamiliar with registry modifications***

(Windows 10)

1. Press the Windows key, search for and open "Internet Options".
  2. Once the "Internet Properties" window opens, click "Settings" under "Browsing history"
  3. On the "Website Data Settings" window that opened, check the value under "Current location" (Mine was blank. If yours is too, proceed with the rest of the steps. Otherwise, this solution may not work for you.)
  4. Close all internet options windows
  5. Open regedit (Win + R, type "regedit", click OK)
  6. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
  7. Double-click the "Cache" entry
  8. On the new "Edit String" window, enter %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache
  9. Click "OK"
  10. Close the Registry Editor
  11. Reboot your computer
  12. Repeat steps 1-3 and verify the "Current location" value is populated
  13. Set the "Disk space to use" to a value within the recommended range
  14. Test the Sims 4 while connected to the internet

It might have been a windows update that broke the temporary internet files. But it's Windows, so who knows. I hope this helps someone that stumbles across this post!

Message 194 of 213 (2,858 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Since switching out my harddrives I've got this problem again but now I can't change my cache, getting a "please select a value between 8 and 8 for how much disk space Temporary Internet Files may use". 

I just want to know why Sims 4 needs Internet Explorer's cache. 

Message 195 of 213 (2,197 Views)

★★★ Novice

I did what you suggested. It's seems like it work but several days later massive fps randomly drop happening to me again.

My FPS randomly drop to 16 - 10 fps even playing it offline but I had noticed for several times that when FPS massively drop. The Stimulation lag will be gone, I mean all interaction gone smoothly with no stand still like it happens when I play with normal framerate so I might suggest there are somethings to do with stimulation lag.

I really have no idea when EA will gonna completely fix this issue. I want to play a game with less stimulation lag and no massive frame drop like this.

I usually play with 50-60fps+ with slightly stimulation lag.

anyway, Thanks for your suggestion @Merjanick . It might help me a bit but seems like there's nothing we can do if the issue was came out from a game itself.

Message 196 of 213 (1,906 Views)

★★ Novice

So I have been tracking this thread since 2019 on and off for a possible solution to the problem. I also have the issue of not being able to increase the Temporary Internet Files size and give me the "in between 8 - 8 mb" error. I have attempted the registry modification Merjanick suggested, but still the spot there is should say the location is just blank and still can't change the size.

I looked online for solutions to that and tried pretty much everything I could but also didn't fix it. If increasing the size of the Temporary Internet Files location is really the solution to fixing the framerate issues while connected to the internet, then I really want to attempt it but unless I got this other issue solved I can't try it.

Doesn't anyone else have any better ideas? Or how about the developers finally fix this, why would they need the Temporary Internet Folder anyways? This seems so dumb to me.

Message 197 of 213 (1,768 Views)

Re: Game Running very laggy

★★ Novice

I think i found the culprint.

Disable "share user data". fixed it for me. my guess: they record your entire game play and everything else you do or something like that so it somehow makes the game run like * even without utilizing any of the pcs visible ressources. Shady af.

Still i dont get perfect fps even though my gpu is Max at 60%, my ram still has plenty of space and my cpu is relaxed at 40-50%. But with the share user data on i got 19-20 fps. I now have 40-100 (extremely volatile). I don't trust them, there's something seriously wrong 

Message 198 of 213 (1,558 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@RobotPandaSoldat This didn't do it either for me.

It's 2022 now and it buggers me how incompetent EA's Studio (Sims Devs) are to NOT fix this damn bug. I have it since years, on multiple systems and re-installs, with or without mods. It has been around all the time, comes and goes. With or without mods.

EA can't reproduce this bug? Go back to collage and learn to do your job then. Jeez. How in the world do they want to release a Sequel to this game, if they cannot get Sims 4 right since the beginning?
Message 199 of 213 (1,564 Views)

★★★★ Expert

I have a game that runs with an astonishingly bad 1.5 to 7 FPS without mods.  It's only one specific lot and I'm willing to share.

Message 200 of 213 (1,338 Views)