[FIXED] Game Crashes after November 2020 Patch - READ FIRST POST

by crinrict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Game Crashes after November 2020 Patch - READ FIRST POST

[ Edited ]
Hero

UPDATE Nov 19, 2020

The audio crashing have now been fixed on all platform which is why I'm closing this thread so folks that still have issue can get individual help.

Please do as follow if you're still having issues

UPDATE Nov 17, 2020

The team has just released a small patch to address the crashing issues.

Please update your game and if you added -nosound to your Origin/steam, simply remove the line to get your sound back.

Patch for console is in the work but no date was given by EA.

If you are still having issues, please provide info asked in the spoiler tag in the section: Info to provide

If you are on a Mac and have issues with loading the game at all (endless loading screen): Please try repairing the game through Origin (potentially several times). If you still have issues, post here: 11.17.20 patch - game won't stop loading

Index

What's going on ?

Things you can try

Info to provide

Other Current Tech Issues

What's going on ?

Since Patch 1.68.154/1.33 the game is crashing on PC, Mac and PS4 (XB1 had crashing issues before but doesn't seem to be as much affected as the other platforms with the current crashes. The crashes seem to be related to an error with the audio (although there's other issues, see below). 

To keep this forum tidy, I've created this collection thread for everyone on PC to post in. This thread is for Crashing to the Desktop (this means that you can play the game and then it suddenly closes down without an error). If that's not what you're seeing, please check the threads linked in Other Current Tech Issues if there's already a thread for your issue and you can post in and if not, create your own.

If you are not on PC, please use these threads for your platform

PS4: Random Crashing Patch 1.33

Mac: Sims 4 - Crashing November Update

XB1: Crashing during travel, saving, build mode

The issue has been acknowledge by EA at the official forum and there's also an ingame message informing you (only shows once). According to the ingame message, they aim to fix this by Nov 20th 2020.

Things you can try 

1. SAVE OFTEN
  2. Backup our saves
  3. Remove your mods. Many are outdated. See this list for an overview
  4. Disable your audio (Instructions below)
  5. In your game options (Audio) set audio quality to low (Instructions below) 
  6. In your game options (Audio) remove the tick next to Enable Mood Stings (Instructions below)
  7. Update your graphics drivers
  8. Try play in offline mode
  9. Make sure your .net Framework is properly installed. Try suggestions here: Execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.DLL was not found
  10. Make sure your Windows is all updated.
  11. Be patient (thank you for that)

HOW TO DISABLE AUDIO

Spoiler

Adding the -nosound argument on PC and Mac disables audio at a core level to avoid the audio-related crashes for the time being.

Origin (PC/Mac)

1. Go to “My Game Library”.
  2. Right click on The Sims 4 and select “Game Properties”.
  3. Select the “Advanced Launch Options” tab.
  4. In the “Command line arguments” text field, add -nosound and select “Save”.

Steam

1. Go to “Library”.
  2. Right click on The Sims 4 and select “Properties”.
  3. Click the “Set Launch Options...” button.
  4. Add -nosound in the text field and click “OK”.

PS4

• You can try adjusting the master volume in the Game Options to be 0%. We have had mixed results with this.

HOW TO ENABLE THE SOUND AGAIN

Spoiler
To turn sound back on, simply remove the line from Origin/Steam or turn it back up on PS4

HOW TO CHANGE AUDIO QUALITY AND MOOD STINGS

Spoiler

1. Start the game
  2. On the main menu click on the three dots in the upper right corner
  3. Choose the Tab Audio
  4. Set Audio Quality to Low and remove the tick next to enable Mood Sting
    Bild_2020-11-17_122028.png
  5. Click Apply changes
  6. Play the game

Info to provide ?

As some people are still experience crashing, please provide the info asked below in the spoiler tags.

When posting in here, please make sure you tested without mods/cc before doing so to make sure your crash isn't mod related.

Spoiler

Please provide the following info when posting (please post all the info in one post. It helps tremendously if you have all your info in one dedicated post. If you edit that post, just also make a new post saying, you've updated your info.

1. Your Computer's DxDiag
  2. If you have, the following file: Documents\electronic arts\the sims 4\lastcrash.txt
  3. The following file: Documents\electronic arts\the sims 4\config.log
  4. Are you using mods/cc in your game (if so, PLEASE test without before posting)
  5. At what point does your game crash ? Is there any particular point ?
  6. Are you only having crashes on existing saves or also if you start a new one for testing purposes ?

You can upload DxDiag and config.log directly to your post.

For any lastCrash files, either create a rar (download WinRar for that) file and upload that or copy/paste the content of the file to a post inside spoiler tags (the icon next to the strike-through)

Other Current Tech Issues

The following issues are different and do not belong in this thread. If you post here, it can happen that no one will help you as this thread is for EA to find information if they need more. It's not read in full by any community tech helper helping out in this forum.

The executable file of the Sims is currently being flagged as malicious software by almost all Security programs. Add Sims as exceptions, you'll find more info in the threads linked below. There's different errors going on because of this.

At the same time of the patch, there was also a Windows .net update, so on top of the crashes, the malware issue, folks are also having issues with the VC++ Redistributes. Also see threads for that.

Issues that are probably related and are fine in here

• Immensen Lag and Memory Leaks
  • Audio starts to crackle

There are currently two crashes that have been pinpointed to something specific, you can use these threads if that's the cause for you

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 74 of 930 (174,979 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [CURRENT ISSUE] Game Crashes after November 2020 Patch

EA Sims Team

Hello all.

While the team is hard at work investigating these crashes, SimGuruNick posted some information here that may be helpful:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/983645/crashing-with-the-november-10-update 

Thanks to everyone that has provided information and save files thus far.

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

View in thread

Message 516 of 930 (145,559 Views)

All Replies

Sims 4 crashing during gameplay after Nov 2020 update

★★★★★ Novice

Sul sul,

My game keeps crashing about 5 mins into gameplay once I’ve loaded into a household. It’s only just started happening after the November 10th update. NO MODS, NO CC.

I also have a relatively decent PC that is more than capable of running the game.

Ive tried ‘repairing’ the game via Origin but it’s still crashing!?

My save and household I’m playing isn’t big, I have no idea why it would be crashing mid play. No specific interaction triggers it either....

Message 1 of 930 (176,444 Views)

Re: Sims 4 crashing during gameplay after Nov 2020 update

★★★★★ Novice

Also having this problem tried repairing didn't help. I've only just downloaded the sims on to my computer recently so I only have the one family. I have a mid to high end gaming computer. 

Message 2 of 930 (176,435 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I’m having the same issue, it crashed about 30 min into gameplay then after I restarted it crashed again after about 45 mins back to origin screen.

Message 3 of 930 (176,416 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I'm having the same issues. Won't let me play for more than a couple of minutes.

It also asks for permission to load the game, which it never normally does. It refuses to load the game normally if I just go through Origin - I have to open Origin as Administrator to even get the game started. Otherwise the screen goes black and just shows me at the Origin page again.

Tried repairing, no luck. Tried clearing the cache and moving the Sims 4 folder to the desktop, still nothing.

Really annoying as I just bought two expansions on Sunday, one of which is Snowy Escape.

Edit: No mods or CC installed either.

Message 4 of 930 (176,405 Views)

★★ Apprentice

My game is also crashing, about less than 10 minutes into gameplay. It has happened four times since the update today. It crashes 100% of the time. I have repaired my game as well-did not help. I am on Mac. Hoping this is fixed before snowy escape launch!

Message 5 of 930 (176,337 Views)

★ Apprentice

Also having this problem. My game has crashed 4 times now since doing the November update. I have already repaired the game on Origin but this did not help. I am playing with an existing save file with no CC or mods.

I hope this is fixed by Friday otherwise I won't be able to play Snowy Escape Frown 

Message 6 of 930 (176,317 Views)

★★★ Novice

My game is crashing too, however it crashes right after the title screen music starts. I thought it was mods/cc so for the last two hours I’ve been sorting through everything, and then I discovered it started to crash without any mods/cc at all. It seems as though ALL of my cc, even unproblematic ones like makeup and skin details are causing it to crash which doesn’t usually happen after an update. :/

Message 7 of 930 (175,908 Views)

★★★ Novice

I’m going to try playing for a little bit with the mods that I don’t *think* are breaking my game and see what happens. I’m able to successfully open the game with the few I’ve found let me. Just confused why very insignificant CC is crashing my game, like eyeshadow, shoes, eyebrows, etc. Maybe once I start playing it’ll crash like it is for you guys. 

Message 8 of 930 (174,947 Views)

★★★ Novice
@amybirge wait, things are working now?? I’m so confused. There are so many inconsistencies I can’t even diagnose what’s wrong with my game. Earlier, any cc would break the game. Now, my game loaded up just fine. Smh
Message 9 of 930 (174,915 Views)