Command line arguments not working with EA Play version

by Simjrk59

Original Post

Re: Disabling Packs

@cherriesandwine1  As an experiment, could you try only disabling one pack and starting a new save?  Try disabling Seasons (EP05), and when you exit CAS, you'll know whether Seasons is active by whether you're asked to choose a season to start in.

If Seasons is still active, please move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop and repeat the above.  A clean Sims 4 folder will spawn with no content when you launch the game.

If that doesn't work either, let me know whether your computer runs Windows or macOS, and whether you have any game optimization software running as well.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 11 of 36 (2,859 Views)

★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Hi, thank you for responding. I've just tried all your suggestions and it still isn't working. I run Windows with Nvidia control panel and G-Force optimisation but I tried resetting and disabling them with the same results.
Message 12 of 36 (2,853 Views)

@cherriesandwine1  Try clearing Origin's cache:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

and repairing the game: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Repair.

If that doesn't help, try running Origin as an admin: right-click on the Origin shortcut and select "Run as administrator."  Make sure to launch Sims 4 from within your Origin game library, not from a desktop shortcut.

If that doesn't help, please let me know what antivirus program you use.

Message 13 of 36 (2,810 Views)

★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict I tried all of the above and always run Origin as admin. I’ve also uninstalled and reinstalled origin.

I have Total AV however I was originally trying it without any antivirus active. I’ve also ensured Origin and the game isn’t blocked by the firewall. The only thing I can think to try is to uninstall the game and reinstall it but I’d rather not have to waste the time that will take haha
Message 14 of 36 (2,803 Views)

@cherriesandwine1  You could try a clean uninstall and reinstall of Origin, which shouldn't take nearly as much time as reinstalling the game.

• Quit Origin, then right-click on the Task Bar and open the Task Manager.  Scroll through looking for Origin entries.  If you find any, click on them and End Task.
  • Clear Origin's cache.
  • Download Revo Uninstaller (the free version is fine) from here.
  • Launch Revo, select Origin from the list, and click Uninstall.
  • When it finishes uninstalling, select "Moderate" under "scanning modes," and click Scan.
  • If Revo finds any remaining registry entries, select all, delete, and click Next.
  • Revo will display "Remaining Data and Folders."  Select all of them except for the "Origin Games" folder, if it appears.  (This is where Sims 4 and other Origin games are installed by default.)  Delete the rest.
  • Close Revo, and restart your computer.

Next, download the full Origin installer and run it.  Here's the direct download link:

http://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginSetup.exe

Be sure to run both the installer and Origin itself as an admin: right-click on each and select "Run as Administrator."

Message 15 of 36 (2,767 Views)

★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Unfortunately still nothing. I've tried different combinations of packs too to see if any of the packs were causing it but still no change. Thank you very much for taking your time to help though, I really appreciate your time.
Message 16 of 36 (2,756 Views)

@cherriesandwine1  Could you try other command line arguments to see whether any of them work?  The -w and -f (with the hyphen in front) arguments force Origin to launch the game in windowed and fullscreen modes, respectively.  So load the game to the Main Menu, put it in fullscreen mode, quit, apply the -w argument, and see whether the game launches in windowed mode; please do the opposite for -f as well.

I've merged your thread with another on the same issue so we can keep the reports of this issue in the same place.

Message 17 of 36 (2,725 Views)

★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict neither -w or -f worked and I also tried -nosound which didn't work either
Message 18 of 36 (2,707 Views)

@cherriesandwine1  I'm not sure why command line arguments wouldn't work, but I'll ask if anyone else has other ideas.  Hopefully someone will have a suggestion for you.

If you don't want to wait, you could unistall the game and reinstall with only the packs you want.  Make sure Origin is not set to automatically update your game: hover over your username, select Application Settings, and under Application (the first header), scroll down to Client update and disable auto game updates.  When uninstalling, it's a good idea to make a backup copy of the Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts—although this folder shouldn't get deleted during the uninstall process, it does occasionally happen.  And having a backup is always a good idea.

Origin will still likely try to install your missing packs the first time you load the game to the Main Menu.  So when the menu loads, alt-tab back to Origin and cancel the downloads: hover over the Download Manager in the lower left corner and click the X next to each pack.

Message 19 of 36 (2,693 Views)

★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict it’s a nightmare, but thank you for your help! Honestly before reinstalling I’ll probably wait and see if anyone knows how to fix command line problems as it just takes so long that if it’s a waste of time I’ll be fuming haha
Message 20 of 36 (2,684 Views)