Menu options bugged?

by Sazalou87

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[CURRENT ISSUE] Codes instead of text/ Blank text and bubbles

[ Edited ]
Hero

Update 2023/07/20

There currently seems to be issues for Horse Ranch and Steam. Please head over to this post if you are on Steam: [STEAM] [HR] Missing Text Strings

Update 19.6.2022

This issue can also be caused by BBB (Better Build Buy). If you are using this mod, make sure to head over to TwistedMexis Patron and get the newest version. For more information see this: [MOD RELATED] Werewolf text not showing up on aspiration, other pack errors

Problem

My game is either full of codes instead of texts or text bubbles are just empty

Cause

This issue is caused by a missing string file (Installation Folder). For some odd reason Origin/EA app refuses to download the needed Language String file for the pack. Each pack has a folder in the Installation folder (Standard: c:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 4 and each of the pack folder should contain a language file (for example: Strings_ENG_US.package) for the language you have switched to. This doesn't seem to be the case for everyone resulting in empty Strings for *Debug" strings in the game.

There's also a folder called Delta that has a folder for each pack as well. That folder also contains the language files and it looks like the files are always getting downloaded there with no problems. Problem is that unless there was a patch after the pack release, there's no folder in Detla for that specific pack (which is normal)

So this problem should fix itself once a patch is released cause the game then starts looking for the string file in the delta folder and not the initial one. This is of course very undesirable if you want to play the game when it comes out. 

I'm still looking for reliable solutions but meanwhile you can try the ones outlined below. They seem to be less and less efficient.

Solutions

If you just have them missing on notifications, it's most likely an incompatible mod. Make sure your mods are updated, especially if you use any UI Mods.

Before trying the methods below, try repairing the game. To do so, right click on the game in Origin and hit repair game.

Make sure to set EA app to the same language as you want the game to be in.

EDIT: Some languages are missing strings for cheats. If it's an issue of missing strings for cheats only, then that's a bug. Please post in the thread for your language (for unlisted languages, create a new thread in the englisch bug forum: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/The-Sims-4-Bugs:

English, Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, SwedishSpanish

Edit: None of the solutions work with EA Desktop currently. EA Desktop is BETA software and it's not a problem to have both Origin and EA Desktop alongside. You can't run them at the same time but if you need to do something that EA Desktop is not able to do yet, just start Origin instead. 

Method 1

• Repair the game through EA app/Origin (Mac)
  • Change the language to something other than what it's now and let the game repair itself --> This will currently only work for Mac as EA app doesn't let you change the language.
  • Change the language back to your Original one

Method 2

• Backup your user files
  • Delete the following file from your hard drive:
    • <game_install_location>\The Sims 4\Game\Bin\TS4_x64.exe or just TS4_x64 if you have your extension hidden for known types (see pic below)
      By default on 64 bit Windows this will be located in: c:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 4\The Sims 4\Game\Bin\TS4_64.exe)
      There's also an exe file in Bin_LE that I also recommend to delete. That one is called TS4 or TS4.exe
  • Go to the Origin “My Games” library
    The Sims 4 game tile will change from “Play” to “Download”
  • Start the Download
    Origin may prompt you for what language to install in, if it does make sure to choose the same language you originally installed The Sims 4 in.

Exe.jpg

Important Notes

• These steps are for PC only.
  • Make sure your Origin client is set to the same language that it was set to when you originally installed The Sims 4.
  • Make sure your Origin client “Downloaded Games” location (set via Advanced panel in Application Settings) is the same as when you originally installed The Sims 4.
  • If these steps fail, it is recommended that you fully uninstall and reinstall The Sims 4 via Origin (see spoiler box below)
  • Remove any mods you are using. This issue can also be caused by mods.

Mac equivalent of TS4.exe

1. In your Applications folder right click on the Sims 4 app and select Show Package Contents.
  2. Navigate to Contents > Mac OS.
  3. Right click on The Sims 4 and select Move to Trash. Don't drag the file as it will only move an alias and leave the original in place.
  4. Now open Origin, right click on The Sims 4 in your Games Library and click Repair Game.

Feedback if this method works is appreciated!!

Source: EA

Method 3

• If you have another windows or mac computer in your household (doesn't matter if it matches the specs), download the game on that computer oder download them from the link provided by SimQARobo in this post: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/CURRENT-ISSUE-Codes-instead-of-text-Blank-text-and-bub...
  • Navigate to the installation folder and the pack which strings you are missing
  • Check if the string file got downloaded. If so, copy it to a memory stick
  • Copy the file from the memory stick to the correct folder on your usual computer

Language files can be found here (the files can differ in name, depending on your language)

• Base Game:   C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Data\Client\Strings_ENG_US.package
  • Get To Work:  C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Delta\EP01\ Strings_ENG_US.package
  • Outdoor Retreat:  C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Delta\GP01\ Strings_ENG_US.package

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 10 of 1,152 (238,513 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [CURRENT ISSUE] Codes instead of text/ Blank text and bubbles

EA Sims Team

Hello.

If you're experiencing missing text with the High School Years DLC, and are unable to fix it through previous troubleshooting, you can try to place the appropriate string file for the language that you want into the proper folder.

For Origin:
\Origin Games\The Sims 4\EP12\

For EA App:
\EA Games\The Sims 4\EP12\

For Steam:
\Steam\steamapps\common\The Sims 4\EP12\

I've placed string files for the High School Years DLC here if you need them:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvxbRBU3iXGRgULJ6fTUH35E0yqv?e=6kZeKM

In the meantime, the team is still investigating this issue.

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

View in thread

Message 1075 of 1,152 (32,546 Views)

All Replies

Pools - not named in my game

★★ Novice

Hi Folks

There appears to be a problem with the pools. They're not named in my game, check it out. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=755149377891797&set=p.755149377891797&type=1&theater (link on Facebook, I cannot figure out how the heck I share the image on here any other way)

Cheers

Kath

Message 1 of 1,152 (237,828 Views)

Menu options bugged?

★★ Novice

Hi,

I noticed when we first got ghosts that my menu options we're bugged in some way and now it's the same for the pool options.

I have taken out all Mods and cleared cache files in a hope it would solve it but it hasn't.

When I click on the pool for a sim to swim the options I get look like:

*** BE97AC03***

and

*** DC87FEF1***

I get similar for any interactions that involve the pool or people in it and it's the same for ghosts - anything that involves a ghost comes up similar to the above.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this would be much appriciated.

Thanks

Message 2 of 1,152 (232,779 Views)

Strange Coding Text with in-game additions via Patches

★★★★★ Newbie

Hello everyone, I'm here posting on the advice of SimGuruAzure on todays (4/11/14) Ask a Guru- Pools Special. I have a strange text problem whenever there is a patch that includes in-game additions (ghosts, spooky radio station, pools). Any interactions involving these new additions gives me a text such as ***Letters&Numbers*** instead of the intended text like Get In, Listen to Spooky, etc. If I click on the odd text the required action still happens so clicking on ***Letters&Numbers*** my Sim either gets in pool or listens to spooky or whatever the action may be. The problem only seems to be with the text in game. Also some items added in these patches like the turtle stencil appear and are able to be used but instead of their name I get ***debug***

I realize this is by no means game breaking but I have tried everything from repairing game to other suggestions on my thread when the ghost patch was issued such as removing UI.package file and then repairing, etc and nothing has worked except completely uninstalling and reinstalling my game. I have no CC and no Mods whatsoever in this game (or any since Sims 1- vanilla player all the way here). 

I am playing the game on an iMac with Bootcamp and it plays on High settings with no lag since release date. On the Bootcamp side it's Windows 7, SP1 with 4 GB RAM & 64 -bit. The actual in-game performance is flawless.

Lastly here's a link to my thread from the Ghost patch http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/791663/seeing-strange-coding-in-ghost-and-radio-pie-menu/...

Thanks for any help given, I am trying to avoid a complete uninstall/reinstall next time there are in-game additions via a patch. And if there are more computer stats needed just let me know :-)

Message 3 of 1,152 (237,836 Views)

Re: Strange Coding Text with in-game additions via Patches

Hero

Did it happen again with the pools patch ? I also do not know of another solution other than to reinstall the game.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 1,152 (237,844 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi Crinrict- yes this issue happened again with Pools. And once again completely unistalling and reinstalling was the only thing that worked and now all the pools related text looks normal. It's very odd, just trying to put this issue out there so hopefully they'll be able to identify what is causing it and prevent us who are affected have to reinstall every time a new 'additions' patch is released.

PS: I have for many years used your threads for troubleshooting so I want to say Thank You for all your hard work!!

Message 5 of 1,152 (237,829 Views)

Re: Pools - not named in my game

★★★ Novice

I am also having this issue - Seems like a bug!

When hovering over the pool in build mode the name is nothing but some sort of code and when hovering other indavidual pool's the same.

When In Live mode and clicking the pool the same happens with 2 Codes!!

Message 6 of 1,152 (237,854 Views)

Hero

Guess I'll be making a blog post about this.

It doesn't seem a mac issue at all since many have had it.

Did you by chance took a pic I could use (I know there are many around the net but I rather ask for permission to use)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 1,152 (237,828 Views)

Re: Pools - not named in my game

★★★★ Novice

I'm having this problem too. I thought perhaps it was related to my edited strings mod, but the issue's still there when I take it out.

Message 8 of 1,152 (237,854 Views)

Hero

@tinydancer114 Could you please check your PM. Click on the little envelope in the upper right corner.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 1,152 (237,826 Views)
sims-all-characters

Want more Sims?

Check out our Sims forums for tutorials and all things Sims.

View more

ts4-promo

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ts4-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help