CC Problems: Sims not appearing in My Library

by pete_betts189

Original Post

CC Problems: Sims not appearing in My Library

★ Novice

This has been driving me absolutely crazy!

I've downloaded a lot of custom made Sims and packages ect..  I place everything where it's supposed to go. Mods/packages in the Mods folder and tray items in the tray folder. I boot up the game and enable mods and scripts. I go to the gallery page and apply the tick box to show Custom Content. 

Now the annoying part. None of the custom Sims are in My Library.

FYI: I only have the basic game without any expansions or other stuff. 

At the end of the day I should at least see the content that I've downloaded, if not play it. What's going wrong?

Thanks

Message 1 of 11 (2,399 Views)

Re: CC Problems: Sims not appearing in My Library

★★★★ Expert
@pete_betts189

Houses, and households you save to your library won't show up by default if they contain CC. You need to turn it on to show items with custom content every time you go into the library.

There should be a check-box on the left to show items with Custom Content.
Message 2 of 11 (2,376 Views)

★ Novice

I've done that, as I stated in my original post.

Message 3 of 11 (2,364 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@pete_betts189 But you're seeing some things in there? Are they only things you've saved there without custom content?

You mentioned the gallery and the library. Which are you referring to?
Message 4 of 11 (2,355 Views)

★ Novice

There are three custom Sims I downloaded a while ago and a few custom properties that appear in the My Library tab of the Gallery.  All other custom content that should appear there isn't showing. I've even gone so far as to back up the Mods and Tray folders and slowly add things one sub folder at a time, but that doesn't work either. None of these sub folders are more than one folder deep either. Just in case you were wondering.

Message 5 of 11 (2,353 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@pete_betts189

That won't matter. Whether you have CC/Mods installed or not won't effect what you see in your library. If you have a sim in your library that has CC, you'll STILL see the sim, but if you try to place them in the world and you don't have the CC installed, the sim will be there, just without the CC. Like if the sim had CC hair, you'll see the sim with the hair in your library. But once you place them in the world, they will be bald.

If you downloaded a sim from the gallery and they had CC, you'll still download the sim and it will appear in your library, but unless you have the exact CC the sim's original creator had, they will be missing things.

Also, there's two ways to download a sim. You can download a sim or house and immediately place it in the world, this option WON'T save it to your library. Or you can download it to your library and then place it from there.

Basically it comes down to this... If you go to your My Library tab, check the Custom Content checkbox on the left, you will see everything in your library, whether you have their CC or not. If you're not seeing something, then the items are not in your library.

Those items were originally in your "Tray" folder. If you have a backup of that folder, you can restore it and the items will re-appear in your library.
Message 6 of 11 (2,338 Views)

★ Novice

It sounds like basic child's play, and really it should be. You DL a compressed file that contains the various stuff you need hair, clothes ect... This includes the household info and what have you that goes into the Tray folder. You decompress to the relevant folders.

With me so far? 

I can physically see all the info in the right folders, what I'm not seeing is the content when I boot up the game. This is after I've ticked all the various boxes to view.

What I'm apt to do at this point is to back up all Mods and CC. Then reinstall the game itself and do a gradual replacement of content. Bit by bit.

Message 7 of 11 (2,328 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@pete_betts189

So you're downloading some kind of assembled... combo... archive file? Something someone threw together that contains all the files? Tray files, cc files...etc?

Never heard of something like that. The gallery won't work, so doing it like that I suppose is the only sure way to get your sim out with all the CC. Sounds like it would have problems, and I can think of a few.

Not sure I'd be willing to trust the CC content. Most CC is broken from the start. Never actually saw one myself that wasn't broken. And I have thousands.

Well, if you're putting the files in the right places and the sims don't show up, then the tray files are bad. Maybe for a different Sims 4 version? I have no idea if they would even be compatible. We'd likely need a Dev to answer that. Are tray files even compatible between different Sims 4 versions? Expansion packs? Legacy vs non-legacy?

You said it comes with CC items, and you're putting those in the Mods folder. Do you see those items in CAS? They should show up even if your "imported" tray files aren't working. Like if it comes with CC hair, is the hair an available option in CAS?

Where did you get the "archive" you were trying to install? I wouldn't mind trying it myself.

Don't post any links though. It'll just get deleted. I wouldn't mind trying it just for my own curiosity. PM me the details. I can at least tell you if the files are good. That'll rule the problem to something in your own game.
Message 8 of 11 (2,310 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@pete_betts189 Well, let me know if the re-install works or if I can assist further.
Message 9 of 11 (2,291 Views)

★ Novice

I did a reinstall last night with a DL from the EA homepage. I then transferred all mods and CC to the relevant folders.

The problem still persists so I've given up. It's simply not worth the hassle.

Thanks again for all your help and insight.

Message 10 of 11 (2,253 Views)