Re: CAW crashing with custom world

by grnigrl2016

Original Post

CAW crashing with custom world

★★★ Novice

I have been building a world for over a year now in CAW.  Earlier this week it suddenly stopped working.  I can open CAW and make changes, but when I try to go to EIG it just loads about 2/3's of the way and then kicks me out to the launcher without any message.  I have also tried to export it to my game so I could at least make some adjustments to lots in game and it installed, but then it crashed just before loading completely without a message again.  I have tried moving my dccache and dccbackup, I have tried using earlier backup versions of the world, I have even tried to repair and update my game through origin and uninstall and reinstall CAW.  I read that supercaw can be a work around, but when I try to download that it will not open even though I follow the directions.  I am at my wits end I  was so close to being done with this world and uploading it and I really don't want to lose it.  Side notes:  I have minimal CC, mostly store content which was working perfectly in the game even this world before this week,  I can open other worlds in the game with no problem and can open the Riverview light in EIG in CAW, I have tried a system restore on my computer and have deleted and reinstalled my downloads both from the store and exchange.  Strangely those all download fine, just not super caw.  I have nraas master controller and overwatch too, but not much else.  My game and CAW are both patched to 1.69.

Message 1 of 7 (959 Views)

@grnigrl2016  I don't know what supercaw is, but perhaps it was built with patch 1.67 and its version of CAW in mind?  If so, it probably wouldn't work on patch 1.69; the two versions of CAW are distinct enough that neither runs on the other's patch level.

After exporting the world, try to open it in a clean game folder, no other content whatsoever.  Even if you used store content, try opening the world without installing it, and only do so if the world crashes again.  You can try the same with earlier versions of the world.

Please also make sure that all of your packs are loading when you open the game or CAW.  A missing pack might cause the world to crash, although it's also possible you'd just get a missing object warning.  Even if your packs are all checked off in the launcher, the game (and CAW, I presume, although I haven't seen it in action) could be ignoring your selection.  The easiest way to tell is by going through the Build or Buy catalogs and sorting the items by pack.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 7 (931 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thankyou!  I am not sure exactly how to make sure I have a clean game folder to open the world, but not install it.  Do you mean by dropping it into a new Sims 3 folder or just deleting all of my caches?  I have double checked that my content is installed in the game, but I never thought to do so in CAW as there are so many items I didn't know I could really do that without being in EIG.  I wound up uninstalling SuperCaw as it was not opening anyway and I really was just trying to find a work around to get into EIG.  Thankyou again!

Message 3 of 7 (912 Views)

[ Edited ]

@grnigrl2016  I meant start with a completely new game folder, and then drop the world into it, install it, and see if it opens.  (I was saying even if you used store stuff when building the world, you can try opening it without installing that store stuff, and only install the store stuff if the world won't open without it.)  To be honest, CAW-related problems are not my strong suit, so if this doesn't work, I'll ask around to see whether other people have better ideas.

Message 4 of 7 (906 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thankyou!  

Message 5 of 7 (869 Views)

★★★ Novice

Ok, so I tried to launch the game in a clean Sims 3 folder and it still crashed, however, it did pop up saying it did not recognize my graphics card..so that was new.  I was able to reattach my graphics card to the game and it loaded the game without the warning screen.  I was able to open a different world without problem and it came super super close to opening the export of my custom world, but still crashed.  I think I can safely guess there is something in my CAW file that has gone wrong or was messed up through an update or something.  My system updated last week right around the time I started to notice problems, but a system restore did nothing to help so..ugh..I don't know what exactly is going on.  I was able to load a previous backup in my CAW, this time the lots were not mysteriously all missing, and at least last night it actually opened in EIG.  I haven't really tried tonight and will probably not as I sort of want to launch my computer out the window at this point in time Standard smile   I'm hoping that I can just play catch up with the current backup I have and that it will successfully export it.  I was really close to uploading it to the exchange for others to enjoy, but I definitely don't want to upload a defunct world that is buggy or worse doesn't even open.  I am half tempted to start over,, but it's really built into mountains so there are several cliff lots that would be difficult to place unless the terrain matched perfectly.  

Message 6 of 7 (862 Views)

@grnigrl2016  I'm glad to hear that you can at least load an earlier version of the world, so all your progress isn't lost completely.  CAW was always only a beta, and it never worked as well as it should.  Add game folder corruption and the fact that the game engine itself was poorly built in many ways, and it's sometimes a wonder that CAW works at all.

The message about the unrecognized graphics card pops up every time you have a new options.ini file, which you would in a new game folder.  You won't see it again after the first time though, unless you trash options.ini again.  The way to tell if your card is now recognized is to open deviceconfig and look for the GPU info, 30-40 lines down.  A recognized card will have a [Found: 1, Matched: 1] entry, meaning that the card's info is in both graphicscards.sgr and graphicsrules.sgr.  Let me know if your card still isn't recognized and you'd like to fit that.  It's usually not necessary, but it's also not complicated to do.

Message 7 of 7 (848 Views)