Re: Building a computer for the Sims 4 and Sims 2

by xoChelleJoxo

Original Post

Building a computer for the Sims 4 and Sims 2

★ Novice

I had a laptop that ran both the Sims 4 and the Sims 2 with no problems.  A couple of weeks ago, it refused to boot up.  Long story short, this computer is broken and I need a new one.  I tried putting the Sims 4 on another laptop running Windows 8, but this computer is complete garbage and the game is basically unplayable.  All I can do is build houses.  I really enjoyed playing the Sims 2 on it and I want my new computer to be able to run it.  Problem is, there are tons of problems getting the Sims 2 to work on a Windows 8 or 10 computer.  I don’t have the UC, I have the disks from when the games came out.  I have every expansion and all stuff packs except Mansion and Gardern.  I had no problems running it on Windows 7, but it’s almost impossible to get a computer with that os now.  I have a another laptop that has Windows 7, but I don’t really want to use it as it’s even older than the one I lost (I got it spring of 2012) and it already has the Sims 3 on it.

The best solution is to build my own computer just to play the Sims.  I need it to run the Sims 2 and the Sims 4 (and maybe the Sims 3 as well, but that’s not a priority).  I’ll also need to be able to run OBS on it and connect it to the internet, but that’s about it.  I’ll also be able to put some cc and mods on it as well.  And I can put whatever os I want on it.  I’ve seen people build Windows 98 computers so this shouldn’t be too hard a task.  However, I’m not sure what to research in order to get the best parts for the computer, and I figured that some of you would know more about that subject that I do.  Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Message 1 of 3 (334 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Visitjoan 

Look for specs like these:

High end

CPU = Intel I5/I7 generation 7 or better AMD Ryzen 8 or better
RAM = 8GB DDR4 or more
HDD = 250GB SSD with secondary HDD for storage.
Graphics = Geforce 1060 6GB or equivalent AMD card

Budget

CPU = Intel I5/I7 generation 5 or better I3 generation 8 AMD Ryzen 5 or better
RAM = 8GB DDR4
HDD = 1TB Hybrid drive
Graphics = Geforce 1050 or Geforce 1060 3GB or equivalent AMD card

If you find one you like and want an opinion feel free to post a link.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 3 (323 Views)

★★ Guide

Just a bit of a correction here. AMD Ryzen doesn't have a 8. It's a Ryzen 7 (high as it goes). 

Message 3 of 3 (309 Views)