Black screen and Crash when loading sims 3

by skinnymountain

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Black screen and Crash when loading sims 3

★★★★★ Newbie

First Time playing the sims 3 games in a long time.  Didn't have any issues in the last opening but for whatever reason, it is giving me the black screen, no-load, crash treatment this morning.  I open the game from the TS3E10 file I have on my desktop.  I learned a long time ago that if you do this and remove the script for the CD requirement then you don't have to open through the launcher or put the disc in.  I have had no issues with this in the past (and I know this is not a problem because I have already attempted opening of the game via the normal Launch/insert disc/ play game route as well, however the result is always the same: the screen goes black, I get a window pop up with Sims 3 island paradise at the top, and then the whole this crashes.  While the game itself does not close the application (I have been closing it with the task manager each time it fails to load) It will not go through to the loading screen.  This is immensely annoying and I have tried everything I can do on my end with the common fixes:

-Cleaning up Cache files (I have removed everything I can find in relation to this)

-Restarted my computer

-Checked for old graphics drivers (I am up to date)

-taken the Mods folder out of the sims 3 game files and placed it on my desktop and attempted to run without mods (still doesn't work

-Taken the Downloads folder out and did the same as with mods

-Attempted to open with a disc in my computer

-Attempted to open with TS3E 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 files and all of them have the same result

-checked to make sure in device config that my driver is found and matched in the game system

I would really appreciate any help because I am not very good with computers and with the sims being the complicated mess of files that it is requires knowledge of almost another language.  Thank you again and let me know If there is any information about the problem I did not include.  I am attaching a Dxdiag file at the bottom of this message as I see that is commonly requested and I will also attach a device config that is appearing in my sims file.

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 1 of 3 (1,313 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Black screen and Crash when loading sims 3

★★★★★ Newbie

All Hail PuzzleAddict!  Not gonna lie some of those steps made me a little (a lot) anxious about going through with it, but I did and It absolutely worked Standard smile  I can't thank you enough.  I was worried I would have to start from scratch and re-download everything.  This trick absolutely did it and I was able to start my game both via my shortcut and via the launcher.  Thank you again!!!!

We're Not Worthy! - GIF on Imgur

View in thread

Message 3 of 3 (1,277 Views)

All Replies

@skinnymountain  For now, please skip the workaround for playing without a disc.  It's fine to launch the game from the desktop shortcut you have, but troubleshooting is simpler with fewer complicating factors.  Once Sims 3 is working again, you can do what you like, although avoiding DRM features is not really something that can get support on an official EA site, even though you do legitimately own the game.

Anyway, please move the entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, if it launches, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet; just see whether you can get far enough to start a new save.

If that doesn't help, try doing a clean uninstall and reinstall of your graphics driver.  Despite the date on the current driver, you already have the newest one available from Asus.  You can get a fresh copy of it here:

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/For-Home/ZenBook/ASUS-ZenBook-13-UX331/HelpDesk_Download/?model2Name...

Download Display Driver Uninstaller from here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3480

Next, take your computer completely offline—disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord—and double-click the DDU.exe.  Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract.  If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window.  Open the folder and then launch Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode.  Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog.  Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like; make sure the box in red is checked:

DDU 1.1.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again.  For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting).  Once you login, you'll see this:

DDU 2.png

In the blue box, choose GPU, then Intel if it's not already showing.  Then click Clean and Restart (red box).

Once your computer has rebooted, now back in normal mode, run the driver install .exe as an admin: right-click on the download and select "Run as administrator."

Reboot again, go back online, and see whether the game works normally.  If not, let me know.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (1,292 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

All Hail PuzzleAddict!  Not gonna lie some of those steps made me a little (a lot) anxious about going through with it, but I did and It absolutely worked Standard smile  I can't thank you enough.  I was worried I would have to start from scratch and re-download everything.  This trick absolutely did it and I was able to start my game both via my shortcut and via the launcher.  Thank you again!!!!

We're Not Worthy! - GIF on Imgur

Message 3 of 3 (1,278 Views)